logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MarthaSamson  
#21 Posted : 09 January 2012 20:38:25(UTC)
MarthaSamson

Groups: Member
Woman
United States

Good Morning, Whaley Bridge! Well, this weekend, I tried and tried to post a jpeg photo of the old family bible with names and dates of various Colliers, but was not able to post any. I'm very busy at work until early February, but will try again to post a few pictures this next weekend. Mrs. C, I did contact Jon and asked him to give you and Shallcross my email address. Shallcross, I was wondering if you have any information about the Vernon family? I have hit a deadend at Ancestry.com with Martha Vernon Collier, born about 1815.

I was reading up on your local history this weekend, about the flooding of the Goyt Valley. In one picture you mention the Oldfield farm. My GGM Martha Oldfield Collier, but census lists her father as a Lead Miner.

Thanks once again for all your assistance everyone.
MarthaSamson attached the following image(s):
Collier Family Bible.jpg
MarthaSamson  
#22 Posted : 10 January 2012 08:23:20(UTC)
MarthaSamson

Woman
United States

I feel such a sense of accomplishment! Finally I got something uploaded. Now, I don't know if anyone else is interested, but this is the Collier Family Bible page that lists Joseph and Martha and their living children, looks like 13 children of the 19 that Martha lists on the 1900 census. I have pictures of Joseph and Martha, but will need to scan and upload them, which will probably have to wait until this weekend. My husband Lee, did some Photoshop magic to make the page a little more readable. He's an artist and actually specializes in "restoring" digital copies of old documents and pictures for historical books and publications here in Hawaii. This old bible lives with my cousin, Monty Florence, in Texas. Cheers everyone. I'll work on this a little more this weekend.
shallcross  
#23 Posted : 13 January 2012 19:01:52(UTC)
shallcross

Hi Martha

Thanks for sharing the family bible always a good source of information, Jon has forwarded  your email, I dont know if I can help with your Vernons as my conection is quiet a few years later than yours and involves the Depledge and Shirt familys as for Oldfield farm it doesn't always follow that there will be a family conection. in the UK many of the individual fields had names especially following the land enclosures in the 1700s so farm names can arise from many originsas can peoples names there are maps available showing many of the early field names, not all on line unfortunately although some forum members have pointed out on other threads that Chesire Records office have published the Tithe maps for Cheshire on line, which cover part of Whaley including Oldfield Farm Interesting reading.!

Shallcross
MarthaSamson  
#24 Posted : 08 February 2012 04:34:42(UTC)
MarthaSamson

Woman
United States

Hi Whaley Bridge Friends. Sorry I've been absent lately. I've been really busy at work, but have continued to pop in and read the forum as well as continue family history research as time permits. I've found an interesting connection once again. It seems I'm not the only Collier to land in Honolulu. I found that Joseph and Martha's grandson, Linald Collier died on the USS Arizona in the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941. I got a picture of the inscription on the Memorial Wall at Ancestry.com. I actually took one myself, but lost the picture when my Blackberry died a few months ago. I will try to upload that as well.
File Attachment(s):
LinaldCollierPearlHarbor.jpg (395kb) downloaded 39 time(s).
MarthaSamson  
#25 Posted : 08 February 2012 18:58:07(UTC)
MarthaSamson

Woman
United States

Hi Shallcross,
I have taken a look at the Cheshire records. Mrs. C kindly sent me a link as well as some fantastic pictures of the headstones of my great great grandparents. She also sent me a list of Colliers buried in the Taxal Church cemetery, through which I was able to piece together quite a lot of additions to my family tree project. I'm finding Collier was a pretty common name, and quite a lot of the time, I'm not sure if I've got the right person or not. So Mrs. C's list was really helpful in identifying the correct descendants as it had birth and death dates. I'm finding the information on the various census records are sometimes inaccurate or just estimates of birth dates. An interesting thing revealed on the census forms are the old addresses and how families lived near one another. However, not being familiar with the geography of the Whaley Bridge area, I again get confused at the different locations. Maybe these people actually moved every 10 years or so, but it seems like each census is a different city, street and house number. I also found a criminal record for Joseph, accused of larceny, but I don't know if it was my great grandfather or not! He was acquitted by the way! There are lots of Joseph Colliers, so I hope this one wasn't mine. However, I'm finding they were simple, common, laborers, no surprise royalty in my background! Thanks again for all your help everyone. I've still got to scan pictures of my great grandparents, but really have been so busy with work that I just haven't had time to dig through all the old albums. I keep thinking of it as a retirement project, but retirement is continuing to elude me.
MarthaSamson  
#26 Posted : 08 February 2012 22:25:19(UTC)
MarthaSamson

Woman
United States

Martha Oldfield Collier
I cropped the picture, hoping it would take up less space.
MarthaCollier2.jpg
MarthaSamson  
#27 Posted : 08 February 2012 22:39:35(UTC)
MarthaSamson

Woman
United States

Thanks gritch, for finding this article for me. I am attaching the only picture I could find of "Uncle Frank". Interestingly enough, this picture is with his buddies at the sanitarium where he was being treated for tuberculosis, from which he eventually perished. My mother, Frankie Ayars Gentle (Joseph and Martha were her grandparents) was named for her Uncle Frank and he died soon after she was born in 1931. This article is copied from the newspaper articles posted on www.disley.net Whaley Bridge page. Frank A. Collier is front and center, and written on the back is "All Buddies except the one with the glasses on, he's the Orderly". Mrs. Edith Ayars , mentioned in the article (full name Martha Edith Collier Ayars) was my grandmother.

MARRIED ON DEATH BED

No date

Whaley Bridge people will hear with regret of the death of Mr. Frank A. Collier, which has occurred at Galveston, U.S.A. Mr. Collier, who was 46, was the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Joe Collier, of Whaley Bridge, who emigrated to America many years ago, taking their family with them. Mr. Frank Collier was born at Whaley Bridge. His Grandfather was one of the founders of the firm of Messrs. Collier Bros., joiners and builders. Mr. Frank Collier was formerly a member of the fire brigade at Galveston. During the Great War he was a mechanic in the coast artillery. For many months he had been in a Government hospital in Texas. He knew his end was near and he went to spend his remaining days at Galveston. Mr. Collier had been engaged to be married to Miss Elizabeth C. Maunsell, but the wedding had been postponed owing to his illness and other circumstances. Both were anxious to be married and the ceremony was performed on his death bed five hours only, before he died. Surviving Mr. Collier are his three sisters, Mrs. W.C. Ware, of Houston, Mrs. A. Lockstead and Mrs. Edith Ayars, of Galveston, and five brothers, Messrs. Ted, James and Sam Collier of Galveston; Mr. Layland Collier, of La Marque, and Mr. Chas. Collier, of Birmingham, Ala. Mr. Collier was buried with military honours. He had kept in Communication with his cousin Mr. Fred Williamson, of Newtown, and it was Mr. Williamson who received the news of his tragic death so soon after his marriage.

Edited by user 08 February 2012 22:48:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FrankCollier&Buddies.jpg
MarthaSamson  
#28 Posted : 08 February 2012 22:50:48(UTC)
MarthaSamson

Woman
United States

I believe the "Mr. Layland Collier" mentioned in the above article, was actually the youngest of the Collier children, Lynald Collier, whose son was killed at Pearl Harbor.
Adnepos  
#29 Posted : 11 February 2012 14:59:08(UTC)
Adnepos

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

MarthaSamson wrote:
...So the numbers must have changed before Jon's house was built in 1900..

Hi Martha

I took a look at the census returns, including the one for 1851. The number 89 adjacent to the entry for the Collier family (1851) isn't the street number, it's the census schedue number. You can satisfy yourself of this if you follow subsequent entries; 97 is still on Buxton Road but 98 is on Horwich Level. The enumerators walked from door to door and if you look at entry #88 it is in Horwich End, #89 is the first on Buxton Road, which indicates where the cottage stood...

I think that area was rebuilt in late Victorian or Early Edwardian (ie about 1900) times so the building that the Colliers lived in would have been demolished.

Good luck with your family history research.

Edited by user 17 February 2012 23:07:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MarthaSamson  
#30 Posted : 14 February 2012 04:53:41(UTC)
MarthaSamson

Woman
United States

Thanks for clearing that up Adnepos. I've never been to Whaley, so it's easy for me to get confused. Mrs. C was also kind enough to send me a link to tithe maps from the area which is helping me enormously in this respect. I finally came upon the cousin Fred Williamson referenced in the Whaley Bridge obituary for Frank Collier. He died in 1956, just 4 years after I was born. Anyway, Fred was the son of Mary Collier Pearson Williamson and Joseph Williamson. It was the 2nd marriage for them both. Joseph had 5 children with his first wife, Elizabeth, and Mary had 1 son from her first husband Henry (I think). Then they had 2 children together, Frank, who died at just 2 years of age, and Fred, who kept in contact with his cousin Frank a half a world away in Texas. Incidentally, Frank was just 7 years old when he came to Texas, so it's a little surprising he kept in touch. Makes me wonder how much Joseph and Martha kept in touch with family members in Whaley Bridge.