logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lord cornflake  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2009 19:37:17(UTC)
lord cornflake

Groups: Member

I have just seen on this very website that we are all to be canvassed via a leafet to help save the church.And also they are running a gift day whereby you can put money in a special envelope and give it to the church.Now im not being Scrooge here but in these financial climes who has spare fiscals to give to the church.I for one will not be giving as i feel Father Lamb was a contributory factor to this situation and have issues with him.As far as im concerned charity begins in the Shepherds.

nce  
#2 Posted : 01 August 2009 20:47:40(UTC)
nce

The boiler at Trinity broke and the buttresses at St James's have been falling apart for 5 or more years. Quite how that has anything to do with Rev Lamb is beyond me. It is more to do with dwindling support for churches in general and the consequent lack of funding. I understand that the response to the campaign has been great so far. See you in the Sheps.
Beverley_Macca  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2009 18:44:08(UTC)
Beverley_Macca

Woman

If there is dwindling support for the churches, why should the burden of repair be the responsibility of the wider community? By the sounds of it, the church buildings will just be standing empty like the recently acquired vicarage, which is currently unoccupied - despite the indoor swimming pool and the £750k price tag.

I always thought the hypocritcial ones were the Papists...

Stick it up your buttress and start digging into the diocese treasure trove before sending the begging bowl round us decent folk.

nce  
#4 Posted : 02 August 2009 20:01:58(UTC)
nce

Whoa, Beverley. I is not ME asking you for money, so please don't be to rude and aggressive with that buttress. Why the need for charity? well because ... oh sod it. I cannot be bothered. I'll look back here when all the secular groups that use the building are chucked out because the places are falling apart, boarded up and graffitied. This forum seems to be full of people who wish to preserve the town. Clearly not.

Tell us too how you are so sure that the said swimming pool is actually in use. Done a few lengths? Check facts first.
Beverley_Macca  
#5 Posted : 02 August 2009 21:08:11(UTC)
Beverley_Macca

Woman

I am in absolute agreement with NCE, let's all check our facts first before handing over a penny.

I think people like to make informed decisions on whether to donate money to our two local churches with all the facts instead of reacting to so-called Double SOS lealets.

Judge for yourselves forum - here's a link to the latest set of annual accounts of the Chester Diocese...

http://www.chester.anglican.org/dev/docs/finance/ChesterDBF2008.pdf

This document doesn't land on the doormat with the appeal leaflet, so let's all check the facts first before donating to this appeal.

Page 21 is where all the facts can be found:

Our so-called cash-strapped diocese is currently sitting on £21.3 million worth of assets and generated a further £13.7 million last year.

Regardless of ivory tower vicarages and vulgar indoor swimming pools, surely the parish can afford to pay for these repairs themselves out of that £21.3 million nest egg before hitting the ordinary good people of this village.

PS

To further our fact-finding exercise, I am declaring absolutely no personal interst with any of our churches - can you NCE?

Edited by user 02 August 2009 21:16:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

spectre  
#6 Posted : 03 August 2009 19:34:27(UTC)

Groups: Guest

"I always thought the hypocritcial ones were the Papists..." quoted Beverley-Macca.

How offensive.Sentiment like this,which you will no doubt say was in jest,is totally unacceptable in a public forum.

Edited by user 03 August 2009 19:35:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Over the hill but not far away  
#7 Posted : 03 August 2009 22:06:25(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

"unacceptable"-then may be it will be censored by the morning! or may be my suggestion that it could be censored will itself be censored. Are not opinions and the ensuing debate what forums are all about?

The Churches of this land are extremely wealthy landowners. The buildings however are high maintenance. Ancient, listed and often beautiful places of worship deserve some support from the public purse to preserve the building (not the religion) for future generations. Those that have none of these attributes or are supported by a minority every forth Sunday do not and should be funded entirely by the church and congregation or converted into dwellings, as has happened in this very town.

Cheers See you in St Shepherds.......

Edited by user 04 August 2009 08:24:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Beverley_Macca  
#8 Posted : 03 August 2009 22:19:04(UTC)
Beverley_Macca

Woman

Am I in some surreal twilight zone?

Why is the term Papist unacceptable?

And why can't I have an opinion that their dictates on contraception, abortion, same-sex relationships et al is hypocritical?

Spectre, who are you to judge what is "totally unacceptable in a public forum"?

No it wasn't said in jest... niether is it religious hate, it is a single person's opinion - deal with it.

Edited by user 03 August 2009 22:24:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tyke  
#9 Posted : 04 August 2009 08:08:32(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Politicians, councils, government depatments and agencies, nationalised industries and the church are all in the public domain and as such are open to public scrutiny and criticism. How many times in the Shepherds, Goyt, or D&P have we called Gordon Brown a **********? (insert own comment here!) Does he go round censoring the press just because he finds the comments a little near to the bone? No! So Why should our forum police?
Whether you criticise papists, protestants or muslims is no different. After all, throughout history each religion has had its black spots. If we didnt comment openly all these groups will get away with their (numerous) dirty deeds unchecked. I await more revelations on this topic and hopefully uncensored. For the record though, it does seem the church needs to put its own house in order somewhat before any of its members preach too much from the moral high ground.
Having said that if the church building were to be made more available for wider community use (I know they are to some extent already) then maybe the community, council or some central funding could be used to do these repairs. I agree with Mr OTHBNFA that These building do need to remain in public use and preserved for the future. Think I might visit my temple tonight! Cheers!