logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JonG  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2012 21:22:19(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

20 Houses proposed at Wharf Road, Whaley Bridge ?

83 Houses proposed behind Macclesfield Road , Whaley Bridge, despite massive opposition only a year or so ago. ?

178 Houses proposed between Elnor Lane, New Road and Long Hill ?

Do you Care ? I do!  - Public meeting on Tue 16th Oct 7.30pm at Uniting Church.

In response to Central Government targets, your High Peak Borough Council Councillors have voted in favour of a proposal for between 195 and 238 additional houses between now and 2028 in Whaley Bridge.  That is up to 15 new houses a year, although it is always possible that a large number of houses might be built at once. It could have been more, but from the three options given to the Borough Councillors, your three local Borough and Whaley Bridge Town Councillors ,Cllr John Pritchard, Cllr David Lomax and Cllr Linda Leather, were among those that voted for the lowest number of houses. The sites which have been proposed for these houses are indicated above, and were made public on the 13th Sept.  

A consultation process has now started from the 13th September which finishes on the 25th October. That is just 5 WEEKS away.

If you fail to respond to the consultation process then the above developments could become a reality.

The proposals could have a huge impact on Whaley Bridge.

To respond to the consultations, whether you agree or disagree, you need to go to the following site and give your views on the questions asked: The site tells you where houses are proposed ,tells you why they are proposed and asks you for your views. Note that Whaley Bridge is in the Central Area, so you should respond initially to the Central Area consultation

http://highpeak-consult.limehouse.co.uk/portal/high_peak/ 

Note also that you can also respond to the Glossopdale and Buxton Area consultations and indicate that you think the housing should be moved there if you so wish.

It is absolutely vital that you make your views known, and you should also respond to the two other consultation documents on the 'Strategic Policy Option's, and the 'Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Update for High Peak Local Plan Options', which are found at the same place. These are  important questions, and despite the rather confusing terms and language in these consultations , which might best have been vetted by the Plain English Campaign before publication, you should try to look at them and make your views known.

*Response are counted individually, so for maximum effect , respond individually*

PUBLIC MEETING - Whaley Bridge Town Council has called a public meeting which will be held on Tuesday 16th October at the Uniting Church in Whaley Bridge at 7.30pm to 9.30pm. Present will be a Senior High Peak Borough Council Planning Officer who will be able to answer questions. This meeting is only a week before the consultation closes, so please do not delay in passing the information about the proposed development sites on to others,  and asking people to respond to the consultation. Do not wait till this meeting, vent your feelings, and then not take part in the consultation. That will not change a thing. Responding to the consultation by answering the questions is the only process in which you can make your views absolutely clear and have your voice counted. The public meeting will not result in a change to the process of consultation.

DROP IN MEETING - High Peak Borough Council are arranging a 'Drop In' meeting on Tuesday 9th October at the Uniting Church in Whaley Bridge at which people will be able to ask questions. Please take advantage of this.

It is really important that you respond. If you do not respond to the consultation process, then it will almost certainly be viewed as tacit acceptance of the proposals.

Full list of drop in meetings(for others in the near area affected by this) are shown below:

• Monday 1 October Octagon Lounge Pavilion Gardens Buxton
  • Tuesday 2 October Bradbury House Glossop
  • Tuesday 9 October Uniting Reform Church Whaley Bridge
  • Thursday 11 October Volunteer Centre New Mills
  • Wednesday 17 October Town Hall Chapel-en-le-Frith
  • Thursday 18 October Women’s Institute Building Chinley

For those not on the internet, or who cannot get to the link above, Questionnaires can be collected from Council offices (Buxton,Glossop) or downloaded from www.highpeak.gov.uk/hp/localplanoptions

High Peak Borough Council can be contacted directly about this as follows:

Town Hall Buxton : 0845 129 7777 or 01298 28400

Whaley Bridge Town Councillor contact details can be found at www.whaleybridge.com

Further information is available on the consultation website, including help on how to register and submit comments. Further support is available on the online: http://www.highpeak.gov.uk/hp/council-services/local-development-framework/consultation-database

It is all up to YOU. Please respond to the consultation. If you do not, then the proposals are likely to become reality and noone will be any the wiser about how people actually feel about our town.

Cheers

Jon

further details from HPBC can be seen at http://www.highpeak.gov.uk/hp/council-services/the-high-peak-local-plan/local-plan-options-consultation-2012

Edited by user 11 December 2012 14:20:00(UTC)  | Reason: various changes to text

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
JonG  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2012 19:32:43(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

This is probably one of the most important topics that has hit Whaley Bridge in recent years. 116 views of the topic so far but not a single response. These houses could change the face of Whaley so if you are concerned please ensure you respond to the consultation. If there is no outstanding response, then I have no doubt it will be taken as tacit approval by HPBC.

I met David Lomax today delivering leaflets up Old Road bringing attention to the plans.

I have made this topic sticky so it doesn't drop away.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 23 September 2012 03:04:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
RockBanker  
#3 Posted : 22 September 2012 23:35:25(UTC)
RockBanker

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

OK, just to provoke some discussion.
There has been much complaint about the decline of Whaley Bridge as a community on this forum – pubs and shops closing, local organisations being unable to recruit new members & etc.
Perhaps we need a greater population to make us a viable community in the 21st century.
There is certainly a demand for affordable housing. There are many young people I know who are struggling to find somewhere to live here. I would like to see any development plan recognise their needs.  
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
dougie  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2012 08:02:36(UTC)
dougie

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I live on Buxton Rd. I havee concerns about several issues regarding this development. Firstly however i have grave concerns regarding how "by consultation" and process of illimination, some altrnative sights were excluded. I, and as far as i can ascertain any of my neighbours, were never included in any "consultation",.....Taxal was ruled out in ths "process" as it was decided tht such a development "would impact on taxal",....and that it would have no access road,......I take it the existing road to taxal wasnt considered?,..its hardly an overused autobahn. My point is not a "NIMBY" attitude, i just have serious concrns that siting a development in one area was deemed to be too drastic, when the same courtesy doesnt extend to the environment of the poor people of horwich end. There are thirty odd houses for sale in whaley at the moment under £150, 000, on rightmove.....they cant sell them,....what price will developers charge????,.....where are all the children for this new estate going to be schooled?,..there are eleven primary school vacancies in whaley at the moment?,...what sort of increased congestion at the nightmare that is horwich end cross roads, will exist with the extra traffic and indeed where will access to the new development be routed? There are other oprions for limited development on brownsite locations,...tesco etc,..on the outskirts of the village,....why werent these proposed in the "consultation",.....has no one had the backbone to approach central govt with view to challenging their figures,.....people do not like to be told anything is a fait acomplit when there are clearly other avenues of consideration that have been casually swept aside without public consultation. The area may have a need for housing, but it also has a need for jobs,...is there a forthcoming expansion of industry that I am unaware of????,.....As an afterthought,...when building of scale begins, will the subsidence of pre existing mine shafts, HP gas lines, etc be of no detriment to the existing buildings in the immediate vicinity?,......I wont go into the aesthetics of the most recent development on chapel road for fear of offending residents. If this is railroaded through, i look forward to getting to know you all better as we sit in the imminent grid lock to and from work in the mornings.
dougie  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2012 14:47:58(UTC)
dougie

apologies for sp and grammatical errors,...was just off a long night shift.
pricedout  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2012 21:47:01(UTC)
pricedout

Having recently been "priced out"off whaley bridge (hence the name!) and had to move away from the town even though our children go to the local schools, it does anger me some when i read off peoples objections to any large scale house building in the area , true the town probably can't take the large input off people but i dont think chapel , new mills or buxton can .

The facts are that house prices are grossly over valued and even though I dont earn bad money I cannot afford a house in whaley big enough for us (2 decent size bedrooms !) so i have had to move away although it does anger me when i see single mothers with there large offspring been given 2-3 bedroom council houses and they have never done a days work in there lives but thats a different story!!.

All the 1st time buyer houses have been bought up by the coudnt care a less about anyone and greedy landlords that have pushed prices up and out off reach for many but I suppose all those baby boomers out there are laughing as there houses are getting more expensive by the day just a shame that anyone under 40 now will have to pay this for the rest off there lives.

My argument isnt that we should just build hundreds off houses on any land available its just we do need some affordable housing built in or around whaley bridge after all there aren't many council houses left after they were all given away by previous governments!  or perhaps you all don't want it because it might  affect your house prices !?

You can always go down the route off buying the land yourselves !!!? www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php

dougie  
#7 Posted : 26 September 2012 09:53:46(UTC)
dougie

Trust me priced out, i,m not in the out of reach price bracket, nor do i expect my property to rocket or depreciate in value,......as for the prices,..i am one of the few who has sold a house in Whaley recently to move into my current one,...a feat managed by a realistic asking price! I sympathise, and am not against affordable houses for anyone. I am against a process that clearly has dismissed other sites that would have less impact, on a village that comes to a halt with a set of temporary traffic lights, never mind 300 extra homes. As for buying the field, i like the idea,...but again, while the landowners sense the imminent arrival of the developers chequebook,(and lets face it, most of us would probably be the same)
we would be unable to compete. Who knows, when a sensible structural survey and its implications make the project too pricey, things may change.
Wanderer returns  
#8 Posted : 30 September 2012 18:52:05(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
This is all very strange, plans were submitted around 10 years ago to develop the area of Wharf Road where the garages are. The plans were objected to by the residents and turned down, they were re-submitted serval time with adjustments but still declined on grounds of the access for emergency vehicles going under the railway bridge leading onto the road..........so what has changed? This is now being considered a potential site for development but the access is still the same. I'd feel very aggrieved if I was the (local) builder who submitted the plans years ago.
Can anyone explain please?
AnnS  
#9 Posted : 07 October 2012 15:58:27(UTC)
AnnS

Any resident of Whaley must be aware of the traffic conditions on the B5470 Chapel/ Macclesfield and the A5004 Buxton roads, not only during the rush hour periods but also at the school dropping off and picking up times and through out the day when large delivery trucks still come through the town. The amount of traffic causes long frustrating “nose to tail jams”. The lack of the new bridge also adds to traffic hold ups and congestion in the centre through out the day. The danger, noise and air pollution must be demoralizing for residents living along side these roads as well as to the motorists. If yet more large housing developments are built within Whaley the extra traffic that would result would appear to be reason enough for rejection of such plans in consideration of people already living here. The pieces of land chosen for the proposal in Whaley Bridge all access onto roads that are already very congested, therefore if land with access to the by-pass or the A6 was considered we would see less traffic going directly through the town centre. Having read the council's reports I'm not even convinced that these large housing developments are required.

slimassasin  
#10 Posted : 07 October 2012 22:30:44(UTC)
slimassasin

I think we need to sort out or traffic/parking issues before we add a couple hundred more cars to our all ready constipated streets. And will we ever see a new link bridge to the Bingswood industrial estate, vital if 300 households need jobs.
Wanderer returns  
#11 Posted : 08 October 2012 19:03:51(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
The housing market is currently "static", there are houses in the the village which have been up for sale for months and if you watch the listings the ones which have been on the market for some time have already significantly dropped their prices. With this in mind who are they intended purchasers if these properties are to be built? I'm really not sure they are needed or if they will be sold?! It's all very, very strange

Edited by user 08 October 2012 19:04:37(UTC)  | Reason: I hate autocorrect!

j  
#12 Posted : 09 October 2012 23:34:59(UTC)
j

Yet another public consultation (9th at united church)  where zillions of dots go on the strongly oppose section of horwich end and macc rd proposed sites but a pointless exercise as wasn't taken into consideration at last public meeting and won't be in this one!

Again it's only the greenfield sites that are made clear as possible sites making it hard for people to realise at first glance there are brown field sites that should be used instead...

pensionman  
#13 Posted : 10 October 2012 09:21:12(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

I got that distinct impression as well. Beside Wharf Road, I had to ask someone to point out the brownfield sites, as it wasn't at all clear to me. What struck me is that this is going to happen, it is just a question of how many houses Whaley cops for. I wanted to know the proportion that were to be social housing, but ran out of time to speak to the Planning officer as I had to go. Does anyone know the number of Social houses we have in Whaley & their occupamcy rates,as talking to someone last-night who delivered letters arounnd the area, stated that there are quite a few empty? Good busy evening & well attended by concerned residents.Next Tuesday's meeting should be full to the rafters.

Edited by user 10 October 2012 09:22:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

stanl  
#14 Posted : 10 October 2012 10:34:49(UTC)
stanl

I agree with the comments above. The meeting last night was very much 'going through the motions'. I asked the planner how they included/ excluded Greenfield sites and he replied that this was purely down to our councillors. This makes you wonder just how they came to their decisions?

I agree again with pensionman that in the consultation doc available Brownfield sites are not given equal weight as greenfield sites. These surely sensibly should be the first option and should be weighted accordingly.

If you look in more detail at the initial question on the consultation doc it is increasingly worrying as the options offered really are no options. For example:-

In answering for example B and favouring Buxton/ Glossop or A the Buxton/ Chapel Axis there really is no variation for residents in Whaley Bridge. A/B offer potentially 195 houses C offers 216.

This is very much therefore a loaded question. There needs to be an option that offers a significantly lower figure or a NO for each area.

Equally in Whaley if you then move these figures of houses forward these therefore indicate that all the Greenfield sites would have to be used. For this to be a fair consultation all Greenfield and Brownfield sites should have been considered equally at this point. This very much makes you wonder if this is a consultation or whether this has already been agreed?

The options put forward for Whaley are at the Horwich End part of the village where there is little or no ammenties to support these developments (the best option amongst those I have encounted would be next to the Tescos site/ next to the A6 but this is not included). Also the Horwich End site was noted by consultees as 'for protection' at the recent Whaley bridge conversations consultations. Similarly the Macc road site was put up at the previous consultation and removed because of public feeling. Why are these sites therefore included (except that coucillors dont live nearby?) Similarly the Linglongs site was excluded because of its distance from the centre of Whaley and the effect this would have on Taxal. Exactly the same argument can be put up for the Macc rd / Horwich End site. Again if Greenfield sites are to be put up for consultation then all available should be alongside appropriate Brownfield sites (to not do so raises suspicions/ concerns of residents when full minutes are not available)

The doc is also impenetrable and not written in plain English. The website is also difficult to navigate. This is putting people off doing the consultation but perhaps this is the aim?

I urge residents to get to the open meeting on 16th to voice their concerns!
Benga  
#15 Posted : 10 October 2012 11:40:29(UTC)

Groups: Guest

ive been told this process is a smokescreen and houses will definatley be built on the land behind macclesfield road as this is the only site in whaley where the owner of the land is willing to sell planning permission will be granted and there will be a big profit for the bulder

dougie  
#16 Posted : 10 October 2012 13:08:43(UTC)
dougie

Much as i hate conspiracy theories, i am inclined to agree with Benga,....to give it a shakespearian slant,.."something is rotten in the state of Denmark",....I have watched keenly as the details of the "process" have been unveiled, and it would seem that pivotal decisions may have been made by individuals without the populous they claim to represent having been consulted: namely as to why the alternative and brownfield sites have not been put forward. This issue is far from a done deal, no matter how much some people would lead us to believe that it is,...
stanl  
#17 Posted : 12 October 2012 09:49:37(UTC)
stanl

How can councillors talk about the greenway and the greendream in relation to Shallcross Incline and then propose the land for buidling on. This seems odd and very inconsistent. See the link below

http://www.whaleybridge....pens-greenway/#more-3294
Ferni  
#18 Posted : 12 October 2012 15:20:52(UTC)
Ferni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Without checking mounds of facts & figures about when the govt. decreed we should be merging all the pockets of housing up in villages like Whaley with their vision of future housing needs, ( goal is set for 2028?) I'd like to ask who do these planners, sellers, builders and councillors think are actually going to buy these 400 approx houses here? Since we are in a full blown recession and still very ill with it: slow recovery, at times no recovery, and dozens of already unsellable houses in Whaley, how can their (blinkered) vision still be allowed to carry on totally unchallenged?

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
jtt  
#19 Posted : 12 October 2012 17:40:27(UTC)
jtt

I visited the consultation event at the Uniting Church and intend to go to another at Chinley or Chapel next week.

These proposals should be viewed in the wider context of NPPF (National Planning Policy Framework 2012), HPBC Strategic Policy Options and HPBC Sustainability Appraisal Scoping for High Peak Local Plan Options. All Local Authority Plans have to be consistent with the governments planning principles & policies as set out in the NPPF.

The NPPF was bought in, by the coalition, in order to 'attempt to introduce a speedier & more flexible development system', earlier this year. The Planners are obliged to go through the periods of consultation.

The local plans are meant to be 'sustainable' and 'reflect the aspirations of Local Communities', in contributing 'towards their wider social, economic & environmental objectives'. Use the documents that are there for consultation to your advantage, there are potentially many arguments within these documents why these sites (in my opinion) should not be developed.

Horwich Ender  
#20 Posted : 20 January 2014 17:05:20(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon.

Another public meeting has been arranged for 28 January 2014 where councillors will aim to answer any questions residents may have about the plans to build 107 homes near Macclesfield Road / Linglongs Road.

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/meeting-about-whaley-bridge-development-1-6380949