logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2009 19:22:32(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of the historians among you would know where "Vaux's Row" was situated in Whaley.  It appears on the 1851 census, after "Richard Row".  I suspect it was somewhere near the canal.

Also, on the same census, before "Richard Row" are properties at "Old Bridge".  Where would this be in relation to today's Whaley? Possibly near the Jodrell Inn?

I am only asking because while doing the family history I have found the brother of my g.g.g.grandfather living at "Old Bridge" and in a later census my g.g.g.grandfather's son is found living in "Vaux's Row".

Gnats

george  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2009 08:35:35(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good Morning Gnats

Vaux Row was the second on the right going down Canal Street towards the canal (the first on the right being Chapel Street). I think it was named after a a man of that name but I can't remember for sure. I have seen it so named on cenus papers possibly 1851 or 1871. Incidently going back to your photo of Bridge St.(I think it was one of yours) the old gabled house? buildings on the right have been replaced by the row of houses with the dated stone1913. Standing back to the Goyt pub looking at the houses it looks   to me like the row was all built at the same time.  

Thank you for your old photos and contributions. 

george

george  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2009 08:39:59(UTC)
george

P.s. I omitted to put the Vaux Row is now called Johnson Street.

george

Gnatalee  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2009 08:47:16(UTC)
Gnatalee

Thanks for that George. I am hoping to pop over to Whaley this week so will take a look.

Regarding the houses on Bridge Street, I will need to check the later censuses, I know that family members were in the houses very early on but can't remember whether it was 1891 or 1901 ! I do know that I couldn't believe how many people were in the house on census night - talk about sardines !

Gnats

Edited by user 13 July 2009 08:48:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 13 July 2009 16:17:35(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello George, Gnatalee and Frankie,

Frankie I want you to do me a favour and I will contact you later in the week.

Frankie, I don’t know if it was all the talk about hens and ducks on here a few days ago but my computer has laid an egg. I have had to use one at work for this ‘effort’.

Gnatalee you talk about how many people lived in one small house and it does make you wonder how they coped. With the introduction of the television there were still some very large families in Whaley and their front rooms must have resembled a small cinema; an because the floors did not slope it was big un’s at the back and little un’s at the front.
Funnily enough the smallest inhabited house in Great Britain was only a stone’s throw from Whaley Bridge.

I’ve even got a photo of it and that’s where you come in Frankie; I’ve had one go at learning how to put photos on here and it has ended up in abject failure so if you will allow me some of your time to show me how to do it one morning I shall take you out for a splendid lunch. How’s that pal?

R. S-S
lord cornflake  
#6 Posted : 13 July 2009 20:53:51(UTC)
lord cornflake

Im warming to you r.s.s. you seem like a decent fella.Maybe we will never meet but m certainly warming to you.

Frankie  
#7 Posted : 14 July 2009 09:28:01(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

R.S-S

No problem.

george  
#8 Posted : 14 July 2009 19:14:55(UTC)
george

Evening all

Thinking about a lot of people packed into a small teraced house takes me back to the coronation. One of my uncles bougth a t.v. for the great event, I don't know how many people were packed in but I ran out of fingers. This was typical of most houses where there was a tele.

george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 11 August 2009 10:44:41(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello everyone,

I just thought I might revive this thread very briefly with your permission.

Gnatalee wondered how many people inhabited the small houses of Whaley Bridge and they were indeed small; the houses not the people.
And I mentioned that the smallest house in the country was very close to Whaley.

Well I can now show you a photo of it.

I believe a family of 24 lived there. It was later demolished and together with next door was turned into another corner shop; the Co-Op grocers.

R. S-S

Smallest House Chapel by you.

Bob Bowker  
#10 Posted : 11 August 2009 14:23:57(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Hello George

Your bit about the Coronation on tv reminds me that a couple years ago found I found a copy of the Manchester Evening News for the day following which gave details of estimated numbers watching the spectacle on tv and reported that 'a good picture was received in Manchester'. I suppose that that was the largest scale outside broadcast done up to that time. Oh the dulcet tones of Richard Dimbleby and Wynford Vaughan Thomas. I met Wynford in a hotel in Wales once. It was whilst he was involved with Harlech Television. What an absolute gentleman.

I once met Nelson Mandela in a hotel in Toronto but that's another story for another time.

Stay well George

Bob

Gnatalee  
#11 Posted : 11 August 2009 16:04:52(UTC)
Gnatalee

George

My grandfather did exactly what you mention in your posting about the number of people in one house !

He bought a tele for the Coronation (I believe it was only a 9" screen and took about half an hour to warm up !) Apparently, he rigged up some sort of bench system so that they could get a large number of people into the house. God knows what they managed to see as he was a heavy smoker and I don't doubt there were others there too who were doing the same. So, with a fog of cigarette smoke, small screen, black and white picture and, I assume, the old 405 line reception I bet there were a few headaches when it finished !

Happy Days !

Gnats

Edited by user 11 August 2009 16:07:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified