logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jonny Summers  
#1 Posted : 05 June 2013 19:10:12(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
A few weeks ago, April 23rd to be exact, I hosted a meeting with a couple of guys from Scandinavia. During the meeting, I happened to mention that today was St George's Day, our "National Day"; they almost didn't believe me! Comments included "Why are you working today?" & "why isn't it the main topic of conversation in the hotel?" (there were NO visible signs that it was St George's Day anywhere in the hotel)
Tomorrow is The National Day of Sweden, and unsurprisingly a national holiday too, with celebrations & parties throughout the country.
I've just finished watching the excellent Australia with Simon Reeve, and the final episode culminated in Australia Day (26th January), again a national holiday & plenty of celebrations.
So I ask the question, why is it that we don't celebrate our Nation's Day? 12 months ago we celebrated the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, and whilst I'm not suggesting reaching those heights each year, why is it that we seem almost embarrassed to even mention it's "England Day"?
It seems that more kudos is given to St David's Day, St Patrick's Day & St Andrew's Day within England than St George's Day!!!
I'd like to finish by stressing that this is not some kind of racist statement, or any wish to prevent anyone from celebrating their nations day, but a simple observation of fact. Perhaps the need I felt for this last paragraph somewhat answers my own question?!
davethescope  
#2 Posted : 05 June 2013 22:09:55(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I think that the reason is that England is a very old nation and very confident in its nationhood. Nations such as Australia, USA, Sweden, have recently become independent of a colonial nation, or have shaken off an occupying nation so they celebrate the day the achieved independence. There is no equivalent day for England, St George's day being merely a church festival.
Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales celebrate Saint's days as part of their aspiration to independence. Again there is no equivalent aspiration for the English.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
pensionman  
#3 Posted : 06 June 2013 08:45:54(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Probably because we're too embarassed.
dougie  
#4 Posted : 07 June 2013 16:21:16(UTC)
dougie

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
As a scot, i can only say that St Andrews day is definately not held in a very high regard in Scotland. Much the same as here, most people couldnt tell you when it was. The embarrased tag probably holds some truth here as particularly with the young; such observations are not seen as "cool",...certainly not commensurate with the watered down form of american culture we seem to have adopted. There is also the the ever present association with the militant right who seem to have managed to hijack anything that is remotely cultural,.....all a bit of a shame.