logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davethescope  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2013 16:26:01(UTC)
davethescope

Groups: Member
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
The attached is a section of the definitive footpath map of an area near Stoneheads.  It shows the well used footpath 22 which comes across Whaley Moor and meets the main road by the PNFS sign.   It also shows a branch, footpath 23, which meets the main road below the building.

That path no longer exists on the ground so does anyone have any history of walking that path or is it one of the many mistakes made when the definitive map was draw sixty years ago.   The reason I ask is that there is building work going on at the property which threatens to obliterate the line of the path and the owner of the building denies all knowledge of it.
File Attachment(s):
130110 PROW Map.pdf (377kb) downloaded 165 time(s).
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2013 18:27:15(UTC)
G. Jackson

I believe that a past owner of the "big house" had the footpath diverted (quite legally). This will account for part of footpath 22 now being replaced by footpath 22 and 23.

G.J.
davethescope  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2013 18:37:41(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: G. Jackson Go to Quoted Post
I believe that a past owner of the "big house" had the footpath diverted (quite legally). This will account for part of footpath 22 now being replaced by footpath 22 and 23. G.J.

Any such diversion would have been referred to the PNFS and we have no record of such a diversion
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
tarboat  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2013 20:06:31(UTC)
tarboat

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Both paths appear on the Derbyshire CC maps of rights of way which suggests that G Jackson may be mistaken in his belief that the path was diverted legally some time ago. Time to raise the matter with them I reckon.

If you have an enquiry about a promoted route or you would like to report a problem please contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 or alternatively use our online reporting form.

http://www.derbyshire.go...ay/enquiries/default.asp

Edited by user 21 October 2013 06:33:03(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

davethescope  
#5 Posted : 20 October 2013 21:14:04(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: tarboat Go to Quoted Post
Both paths appear on the Derbyshire CC maps of rights of way which suggests that G Jackson may be mistaken in his belief that teh path was diverted legally some time ago. Time to raise the matter with them I reckon.

If you have an enquiry about a promoted route or you would like to report a problem please contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 or alternatively use our online reporting form.
http://www.derbyshire.go...ay/enquiries/default.asp

PNFS are already in communication with the Derbyshire rights of way officer.   I was asked to try and find out any historic local knowledge about the path.  Rights of way sometimes appear on the definitive map due to errors in the reporting back in the fifties.  Whilst that does not detract from their legal status it does mean that the Footpath Society is less inclined to spend time and effort defending them.

Edited by user 20 October 2013 21:38:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Horwich Ender  
#6 Posted : 23 October 2013 16:50:01(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon davethescope.

The building located between your two marked footpaths used to be a pub and has been the subject for discussion on this forum before.

It's believed the pub used to be called the Soldier Dick but ceased trading and transferred it's licence to the Soldier Dick in Furness Vale when the main route from Disley To Whaley Bridge changed from Buxton Old Road to the current route of the A6.

A similar switch happened at the Bulls Head Inn in Higher Disley when it's licence was transferred to the current White Lion in Disley.

Further information on this subject can be found in the thread “Historical Photographs of Whaley Pubs” on the history side of this forum.

I doubt the fact the property was once a pub will have much relevance to the footpath but the person who will definitley know the history of walking the path is forum member “spanners” who is Stoneheads born and bred.

Like R. S-S and shallcross, spanners has not posted on this forum for some time but I am sure he will have all the answers you require to your footpath questions.