logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MarthaSamson  
#1 Posted : 29 June 2017 03:04:06(UTC)
MarthaSamson

Groups: Member
Woman
United States

Aloha Whaley Bridge! I looked back at my prior posts and it's been 5 years since I dreamed of bringing my mother and sisters to Whaley Bridge, the birthplace of my grandmother. I was working in the meantime, and just couldn't find the time or the money to make the trip. Well, I'm now retired, and my mother is 86 years old. My father passed away last year, and Mom could use a vacation to lift her spirits as she is adjusting to life without him after 65 years of marriage. Therefore, the trip is on, and we are planning in earnest a 3 week visit.

I found a lovely B&B online, Kinrara, but was told unfortunately it is being sold, and the proprietor informed me two other Whaley
Bridge B&Bs are also being sold. Due to my mom's age and physical difficulties walking, we are planning a slow paced, relaxing trip. So a good B&B would probably be better for her than a hotel setting. If anyone has a recommendation, I'd be most grateful.

In the past I have communicated with G Jackson and Mrs. CUrious and a few others, so if either are still around, I'd love to reconnect.

We would love to visit the graves of Martha and Joseph Collier at Taxal Church cemetery and look at other ancestry records. If we happen to find a few distant Collier relatives or just make new friends, all the better.

Can anyone tell me a little about the public transportation available? We are arriving at Manchester, and I thought we might take the train of bus (lorrie?) to WB. Are there taxis, Uber or Lyft available in the area? I can rent a car, but all of our experience is driving on the "wrong" side of the road, so we are a little concerned about driving.

I have no expectations, but am just reaching out. It took a long time to make this trip, but we are excited to visit Whaley Bridge finally.

Kindest regards,
Martha Samson
Curious  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2017 12:02:02(UTC)
Curious

Groups: Member
Woman

Hi Martha - I've just sent you an email and look forward to meeting you during your trip.

Mrs Curious