logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nce  
#1 Posted : 27 September 2009 18:48:19(UTC)
nce

Groups: Member

I am very, very sorry to bring something up as boring as Shallcross Mill, but the old place interests me. The street I live on (Cotton Close), I believe, derives its name from the mill. The houses at the back of me are the old Mill overseer's house and the accountant's house (have been in both and they are fascinating).

So was SM a cotton mill? What did it look like? Who owned it? When did it operate? Why does it now make plastic wall ties????

Nige.

Frankie  
#2 Posted : 28 September 2009 12:18:02(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

nce.

A photo of Shallcross Mill. Sorry about quality. I will attempt to send more info later.

Edited by user 28 September 2009 12:20:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
SWScan00003.JPG (1,979kb) downloaded 86 time(s).
Frankie  
#3 Posted : 28 September 2009 15:48:34(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

The Meveril Springs Bleachworks opened in 1870 on Shallcross Mill Rd and owned by Bennett & Jackson later becoming part of the Bleachers Association. The company were bleachers of cotton & yarn for various outlets. During the 1950s the factory suffered a serious fire on the top floor of the main building but was quickly restored and production resumed. After the company ceased bleaching operations the building was let out into single units housing various trades. Brick making,reclaiming plastics,sandbag proofing ,engineering,haulage contractors.I am not sure what date the factory closed down.

The area that Vista is built on once housed the works canteen and a wonderful bowling green for the factory staff. The making of the building tie wires is a completely new venture and nothing to do with the old factory.

Edited by user 28 September 2009 15:52:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified