logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CllrJonG  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2009 11:29:50(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

R.S.S has yet again supplied a great photo which i have scanned and attached along with his text....

"Just before the demise of the last forum we were discussing a subject entitled 'Anyone for Tea?"
And a number of cafes and tea rooms were explored by mainly myself and our much missed friend, Incredulous.
At that time I said I would send Cllr JonG a photo of Henry Noggins' cafe. Well at long last and better late than never here it is. Well actually it is a picture from about the 1940's when the cafe had been taken over from Henry by his son-in-law Bill Garlick. You will see Bill advertised Gold Flake on the front of the cafe and as I doubt if this was a chocolate bar we must assume the smoking ban was not in force at that time.
This photo is very disappointing in one respect in that is it just misses the gentlemen's urinal which is a bit closer to the bridge and a little bit further away from the cafe than I remember. Perhaps in those days people avoided getting urinals on their photos.
One thing that is noticeable is the two stone gate posts forming the opening to Forge Road; if you look across the road directly opposite you will see an identical set of posts long since built up which must have been the entrance to a field before the railway."
R.S.S

Cheers

Jon.

File Attachment(s):
forge road1.jpg (688kb) downloaded 167 time(s).
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2009 12:27:49(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Thank you for that Cllr JonG,

One thing I must correct very quickly is that the café was Henry Hoggins and not Henry Noggins.

We certainly don’t want to upset any Norsemen that may well be looking in. Even more so we do not want to incur the wrath Nogbad the Bad who might well try to capture the throne of King Jake as he used to do with Noggin the Nog.

I hope that’s straightened that one out in time.

R. S-S
CllrJonG  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2009 12:44:41(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Ha,

I used some software to scan in your letter and convert it to text, and I'm afraid i didn't check it throroughly enough afterwards. That one slipped through.  Sorry about that !

Cheers

jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
umtali  
#4 Posted : 08 May 2010 11:07:21(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Enhanced from attachment.

umtali attached the following image(s):
teahut.jpg
G. Jackson  
#5 Posted : 08 May 2010 14:48:21(UTC)
G. Jackson

The photo is of Henry Hoggins' second cafe. The first was over the road near where Stanway's shop is now. A time after the Great War the Royal British Legion asked Bill Garlick, who had lost his leg in the war, what they could do to help him. His reply was a hut to start a cafe in Whaley Bridge, this was donated to him and he later sold the going concern to Henry Hoggins and his wife Ethel (who did most of the work as Henry was forever ill). They were helped in the cafe by their daughter Muriel. Henry eventually had a larger cafe built further back which made a very large lorry park in front.

IanEd  
#6 Posted : 01 September 2010 11:05:47(UTC)
IanEd

"In for a pint of tea" at Bill Garlicks

19th January 1947

photo by Ernest Edmondson, Hyde Road Club

IanEd attached the following image(s):
In_for_a_pint_of_tea_19_1_1947_Bill_Garlicks_Whaley.jpg