logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jaynie  
#1 Posted : 21 July 2010 19:54:35(UTC)
jaynie

Groups: Member

My great great Uncle George was killed in the explosion, does anyone else have reletives that were killed??

G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 21 July 2010 20:36:02(UTC)
G. Jackson

My grandfather was driving his horse-drawn truck away from the gunpowder works and heard the bang and turned round and saw what he described as horrible. I'll not put on here what he told me because it may upset some of the living relatives.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2010 08:09:15(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Jaynie and Jackson,

I have been threatening to do a topic on the construction of Fernilee Reservoir for some time now and this will inevitably contain lots of references to the gunpowder mill.
I’ve lots of photos of the gunpowder mill, the fire brigade, carts, workers etc and of course the historical facts.
There are numerous photos of the ruins within the construction works of Fernilee Reservoir and these simply must be shown as I do it.
The trouble is I have got a little bit side tracked on other matters and I am helping Well Known Norm to catch up on some topics missing from his Whaley web site.
I have also realised just what an extensive topic it is likely to be.
For instance just the suspension bridge is almost a topic in itself and obviously that also needs including.
So I’ll get a couple of other things out of the way in the next couple of weeks and then clear my desk and get down to it.

I think next up is going to be the murder of William Wood.

Please bear with me.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2010 13:42:34(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Jaynie,

Was your great, great uncle George called George Raven by any chance?

A couple of George’s have been killed at the powder mill and also a person called Hill.

Apologies to our own George who contributes on here and, as far as I know did not work at the powder mill.

R. S-S
jaynie  
#5 Posted : 23 July 2010 19:42:28(UTC)
jaynie

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Oh my goodness... yes it was,  My grandma was mary lomas- raven from fernilee , Its so nice to hear from you... many thanks.. any further info would be much appriciated

Hello Jaynie,

Was your great, great uncle George called George Raven by any chance?

A couple of George’s have been killed at the powder mill and also a person called Hill.

Apologies to our own George who contributes on here and, as far as I know did not work at the powder mill.

R. S-S

jaynie  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2010 19:43:32(UTC)
jaynie

Oh my goodness... yes it was, My grandma was mary lomas- raven from fernilee , Its so nice to hear from you... many thanks.. any further info would be much appriciated
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 23 July 2010 20:31:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good evening to you Jaynie,

I have quite a lot of information with regards to your great, great uncle George. I am sure I have a photo of him as well but; and there’s always a but isn’t there?

George died as a result of the explosion and of course this was very traumatic; another man was killed in the same incident.
It was a long time ago and I am willing to put the details on this forum but, as I say, you may want to read them privately first; in which case you can contact Cllr JonG who will give you my email address.
However, as I say it was a long time ago and you can not have been in any way close to George so maybe you will allow me to let the other forum members read about his demise. It is entirely up to you; I will respect whatever you decide.

I have noticed Mrs Curious looking at the thread and I can confirm to her that many of the Depledge family were employed at the powder mill at that time.

I have done this in my own time, entirely free of charge and I am more than happy to assist both of you with your enquiries. I must try to join the Whaley Eleven in due course.

Good evening ladies.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 24 July 2010 12:19:07(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Jaynie,

Just let me explain and make clear the last part of my previous message. I wouldn’t want you to misunderstand me.
When I said I would give my time free of charge it wasn’t as if I have ever charged for anything and I never would.
A couple of weeks one of our local councillors came on the forum and announced that he worked on our behalf free of charge. Why he made that announcement I have really no idea.
I thought that was what was supposed to happen anyway.
But on here people will help you to research your history and they will be only too pleased to do so.
Mrs Curious will understand what I meant I am sure.
As I say I have quite a bit of information on the explosion that killed your great, great uncle George and as soon as you give me the nod I’ll put it on here for you.

R. S-S
Curious  
#9 Posted : 25 July 2010 08:10:47(UTC)
Curious

Woman

No need to worry R S-S, I knew what you meant. 

The Depledge family is a branch of our family tree that I haven't done much work on lately, but I've recently been given a lot of information on them and am busy adding this to my records.  Depledges originally came from Silkstone in Barnsley and the name means 'deep ledge'. 

Jaynie -  I have 3 Mary Lomas in my tree: one born 1876 in Fernilee, one born 1849 in Bradshaw Edge and one born 1823 in Fernilee - any connection to you here?

I would be very interested, as always, in any info you can put on here    R S-S, but obviously respect Jaynie's wishes if she would rather info is not made public here.

Mrs Curious

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 25 July 2010 10:23:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Thank you for that Mrs Curious,

I used to have a large number of files on local families and these were put on the computer. I stupidly threw the old files away and have since, somehow, contrived to lose most of what I put on the computer.
I am now on a newer computer and if I had kept the older one I am sure someone would have been able to retrieve the lost information.
Ah well that’s how it crumbles sometimes.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 25 July 2010 10:46:35(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

This snippet especially for my old mate Fedup as I know how fond of Doctor Allan he is:

R. S-S

High Peak News

30 May 1891

accident at the chilwell gunpowder works, fernilee.    On Monday afternoon, a boy named Ollerenshaw had the little-finger of his left hand severely crushed by one of the machines.    He was taken to Dr Allan’s surgery, when it was found necessary to resort to amputation of the first joint.

Ouch *****
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#12 Posted : 26 July 2010 14:05:29(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Mrs Curious,

As I know you are about to research your family history with regards to the Depledge connections here are a few bits and bobs to start you off.

Happy days.

R. S-S

Shallcross Mill:

William Depledge    Marr    26   fireman on railway
Kate     Depledge    Wife    23

Gunpowder Mill Employees (from Census returns):

James Depledge
Age25
Cooper
Fernilee

Matthew Depledge
Cooper
Powder Mill Houses

Richard Depledge
Gunpowder Employee
Fernilee

Thomas Depledge
Cooper
Powder Mill Houses

James Depledge
Gunpowder Maker
Powder Mill Houses

Thomas Depledge
Cooper
Powder Mill Houses

James Depledge
Powder Mills Labourer
Powder Mill Houses

Richard Depledge
Cooper.
Powder Mill Houses

Thomas Depledge
Cooper
Powder Mill Houses

James Depledge
Cooper
Far End, Fernilee

James Depledge
Cooper
Powder Mill Houses

John Depledge
Powder Mill Labourer
Macclesfield Road

William Depledge
Powder Mill Labourer
Macclesfield Road

William Depledge
Gunpowder Maker
Far End, Fernilee

William A Depledge
Powder Mill Hand
Horwich End.

Curious  
#13 Posted : 26 July 2010 19:15:28(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Thanks R. S-S

Lots of bits and bobs that will keep me busy for a while.  I'll let my new found relative have this info too, I'm sure she'd be very interested.

Mrs Curious

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#14 Posted : 27 July 2010 08:17:12(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I’m sure you and your new found relative both know where Far End is.

R. S-S