logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ferni  
#1 Posted : 22 October 2010 12:06:50(UTC)
Ferni

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Being and Elnor Laner and attending both (the original with Bunty Sidebottom) Fernilee school and Whaley School, passing through Shallcross Mill road most of my formative life was a regular thing.

Always knowing that road as being just 'the brickworks' and witnessing its various latter uses, I have often wondered what its real original use was, and basically tried to find out anything at all about the site.

Shallcross Mill Road now bears not the slightest resemblance to its former years, indeed the amount of houses there now amount to being  a village in its own right !  The beautiful cottage where the trainline crossed the road from the goods yard to Elnor Lane incline is now dwarfed but the (over-) development ( best not mention New Road's 'screwball scramble' of a surface here; we might get de-railed), but happily still exists and is in excellent restorative condition.

I recall the 2 'ponds' opposite the main - huge- building, and the plastics company who moved in round about 1970? (much to our  delight when they had hundreds of brightly coloured plastic baths in the yard which we played quite happily with.) and various mechanical works within its sites.

I've searched online many times but find only scant mention this, no-doubt erstwhile very productive, mill/factory area in Whaley.

I approach The Forum on the subject, suspecting there is a lot of information just waiting to be given the chance to emerge.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
shallcross  
#2 Posted : 22 October 2010 13:38:30(UTC)
shallcross

Hi Ferni

Before we tackle this subject who do you recognise in this photo.

A clue to others, outside The Shady Oak Carnival Day theme Robin Hood and his Merry Men mid eighties

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Image009.jpg
Shallcross
Ferni  
#3 Posted : 22 October 2010 18:02:23(UTC)
Ferni

shallcross wrote:

Hi Ferni

Before we tackle this subject who do you recognise in this photo.

A clue to others, outside The Shady Oak Carnival Day theme Robin Hood and his Merry Men mid eighties

Shallcross ...... :(    I'm sure you will be aware,  that the very sweet man Walter Sidebottom, passed away just several weeks ago. After having only recently, in the past couple of months made contact again with Bunty, ( having not seen her for about 44 years - and being astonished the pair of them were still alive ! ) you can imagine my sadness of hearing about Walt's sudden death.

I spoke with her at length yesterday... discussing all manner of things. She is a wealth of knowledge on Fernilee, the Goyt Valley: it's people, and past events. She is mid-write of her 3rd book ( this lady has to be in her 80's ! ) about myths and legends of Anglesey - where they live - and has the exact same voice I remember with such fondness.

If you have anymore photos I'd be eternally grateful  In return,   I'll let you read her 2 books that I've just purchased from Amazon.

Hey !   I bet she would know about the disappearance of the Fernilee suspension bridge !! .... I'll ask next time.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
shallcross  
#4 Posted : 23 October 2010 13:13:32(UTC)
shallcross

Ferni

Yes you are correct but for those who don't know Mrs Bunty Sidebottom, (Teacher Fernilee School) Walt Sidebottom and Friar Tuck Neal Simpson Landlord Shady Oak.

Further to your original posting, yes Meveril Springs works was at one time a brickworks (Dovedale brick) but started life as Bennett & Jackson Cotton Bleachers there are already pictures on this forum of Bennett & Jackson wagons, the original Meveril Spring was / is at the end of Shallcross Mill Rd on the left hand side before you reach the bridge on Elnor Lane, (where the hens used to be) water was pumped from here to the works and mixed with water taken from the river for the bleaching process, on the photo you can see the remains of The Cromford High Peak Railwayat the back and the cement tanks in the forground, these were used to store the waste product and as like Botonay this was released in batches directly into the River. just off the picture is the works Bowling Green which I havent got a photo of so if any one else does then I would like to see.

Edited by user 23 October 2010 13:15:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Meveril Springs.jpg (324kb) downloaded 58 time(s).
Shallcross
Norm  
#5 Posted : 23 October 2010 14:41:54(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Photo from post #4

Norm attached the following image(s):
MeverilSprings.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 23 October 2010 15:06:53(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Ashton-under-Lyne Reporter.

18 May 1901

We hear upon good authority that it is likely there will be erected a new bleach works at Shawcross Mill, Horwich End, Whaley Bridge.   We hope that the rumour is true, for if one were erected and began work it would add to the well-being and prosperity of the place, and act as a compensation for the stopping of the two collieries.

shallcross  
#7 Posted : 24 October 2010 11:49:49(UTC)
shallcross

Another thing to notice in the photo is Shallcross Hall in the trees just to the right of the chimney, I seem to remember that they lowered this Chimney in the 50s - 60s,

John Jackson the Jackson in Bennett & Jackson was married to Jane Jackson (nee Brookes) who was my Great Grandmothers Sister, if you follow, so I will post some Pictures of them later, I dont have much information on the Bennett side of the partnership so once again would welcome some input.

The photo is taken in the yard Peace Day June 1919.

File Attachment(s):
Peace day 1919.jpg (1,466kb) downloaded 43 time(s).
Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 24 October 2010 12:05:01(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Ashton-under-Lyne Reporter

24 August 1901

GOOD NEWS!  

We are informed that the building of the new bleach works at Horwich End will be commenced before very long and that the contract for the same has been let to Messrs Hudson's of Birch Vale, who are to do the work for Messrs Bennett, bleachers of Birch Vale, the owners.   Already a little preliminary work has been done.   The water supply is one of the best in the locality.

Norm  
#9 Posted : 24 October 2010 12:29:48(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Photo from post #7

Norm attached the following image(s):
Peaceday.jpg
shallcross  
#10 Posted : 25 October 2010 20:38:10(UTC)
shallcross

Ferni

Jon I think is doing his job as moderator of this forum, I don't really mind if people know who I am, I think most do anyway, but it is much less complicated to post under Shallcross, if you wish to contact ask Jon for my e mail.

Shallcross
CllrJonG  
#11 Posted : 27 October 2010 00:20:45(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Ferni,

Please contact me directly by email. I need to have a private chat with you.

Thanks

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com