logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 02 June 2009 12:13:12(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone has an auntie, uncle, granny or grandad on this photo.  I believe I know a few people on there but not the bride and groom !

Any ideas anyone?

I don't know who the photographer was, but I am particularly impressed with the tin bath hanging on the wall behind the wedding party !!

Gnats

File Attachment(s):
A Family Wedding.jpg (832kb) downloaded 151 time(s).
Fedup  
#2 Posted : 03 June 2009 17:17:02(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Oh wow Gnats! That is a truly wonderful photograph! I am guessing it is about 1920's/30's? The clothes are fantastic. Sorry I can't help with any of the people on it.

As for the tin bath - well, I bet the bride and groom were not too happy seeing that there on their wedding photos!
Gnatalee  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2009 19:16:11(UTC)
Gnatalee

Thanks Fed-up

I am pretty certain my Mum is the little girl bridesmaid in the middle (only 'cos she looks like me at that age) and that the young girl with the glasses on the right (possibly also a bridesmaid) is my Mum's aunt. On the right next to her I believe to be my grandmother and her mother is on the left of the photo - BUT - what I can't understand is the older people sitting down - the guy looks like he could be a member of my Grandad's family - which is the wrong side (if you get what I mean). There's too many Brooks' in this photo - I had thought it might be the wedding of Alice Brooks and William Sidebotham (who used to run The White Horse in Disley) but the guy sitting at the front is giving me grief - he doesn't fit in - he looks like a Winterbottom !!! 

Oh well, back to the drawing board !

Gnats

Edited by user 03 June 2009 19:19:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#4 Posted : 03 June 2009 22:09:54(UTC)
Fedup

Don't despair Gnats. R.S-S and Frankie have yet to comment, and you know that they are veritable fountains of knowledge when it comes to recognising people from years past!
High Peak Harry  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2009 23:09:05(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Gnatalee wrote:

Thanks Fed-up

I am pretty certain my Mum is the little girl bridesmaid in the middle (only 'cos she looks like me at that age) and that the young girl with the glasses on the right (possibly also a bridesmaid) is my Mum's aunt. On the right next to her I believe to be my grandmother and her mother is on the left of the photo - BUT - what I can't understand is the older people sitting down - the guy looks like he could be a member of my Grandad's family - which is the wrong side (if you get what I mean). There's too many Brooks' in this photo - I had thought it might be the wedding of Alice Brooks and William Sidebotham (who used to run The White Horse in Disley) but the guy sitting at the front is giving me grief - he doesn't fit in - he looks like a Winterbottom !!! 

Gnats

... and just what do you mean by that?

Gnatalee  
#6 Posted : 04 June 2009 07:56:32(UTC)
Gnatalee

High Peak Harry wrote:

Gnatalee wrote:

Thanks Fed-up

Gnats

... and just what do you mean by that?

Exactly that - he looks like a Winterbottom family member.(at least the one's I know).

Gnats

High Peak Harry  
#7 Posted : 04 June 2009 08:39:57(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Which ones would those be and Ill see if I agree.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 04 June 2009 09:57:12(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Ah, the old tin bath; I remember it well.

I was born in Whaley Bridge but shortly after we moved to a nearby village where my parents had bought a little stone terraced cottage. A two up and two down was the proud description. And that was about it; no heating, no insulation, no double glazing, no fitted kitchen and no bathroom.

Shortly after we moved the council started to build some council houses and these had inside bathrooms and toilets.
I can still remember the reaction of the cottagers, and that was almost the entire village, when they learned of these new houses having inside toilets:

“Absolutely disgusting; toilets inside a house; stupid bloody council, who will want to live in such squalor; they’ll all be sick; don’t let the kids go to any of the houses they’ll come back with a disease, probably diphtheria.”

So while the tenants enjoyed their home comforts we continued to suffer gladly with our lack of facilities. The toilet was at the top of the garden and we were lucky it had a water supply to it and it was connected to the sewerage system. A lot just had wooden planks to sit on and a large metal container underneath. The dustbin men emptied them every fortnight. What a job. Worse in the summer.

Anyway ours was seen as something of a luxury but when you had to go out late at night if you needed to, often ploughing through the snow in your pyjamas, you weren’t always in the dark for in the winter there was an old paraffin lamp for company and it was always lit to stop the pipe work from freezing.
I can’t remember toilet roll only newspaper.

Friday night was bath night and it seems that was for the whole village. Baths were clanking all over the place as they were taken in and put in front of the coal fire. There was no hot water in any of the houses so a variety of pans were filled with water and the tin bath was slowly and eventually filled to about six inches. The worst bit was when another pan had boiled and your Mum tipped it in the bath behind you and in attempt to avoid a good scalding you jumped forward and created a mini tsunami which resulted in as much water going out of the bath as your Mum had put in. “You can clean that up after” she said.
Kids went in first and were then sent upstairs while their parents had their baths. Then we had to come down to help empty the bath. All the water was just thrown outside the front doors and drained to wherever. Who knows? Some of it didn’t but created large puddles’ a bit like Jodrell Meadow. On summer evenings the village looked as though the monsoon season had arrived. And in the winter we had great slides on frozen bath water the following morning.

The rest of the week we just had ‘a good swill’ as my Dad described it. This consisted of him standing in front of the kitchen sink in his trousers and vest, braces hanging down and legs wide apart, somewhat Sumo fashion, and splashing soap and water over his face and neck and quite a bit on the oil cloth on the floor. I don’t think any other parts of his body saw any soap or water.

“That’ll do till Friday.” He always said and it had to.

When we moved back to Whaley we had a house with a bathroom and I soon realised that all the fuss about inside toilets and bathrooms was just ridiculous. My Dad didn’t even consider taking our tin bath with us much less using it ever again.

R. S-S

High Peak Harry  
#9 Posted : 04 June 2009 16:29:36(UTC)
High Peak Harry

That describes living at my Grandparents fairly accurately. Paraffin lamp in the toilet (although the pipes were lagged with hessian), newspaper for toilet roll, washing at the sink dressed as described.

Are you sure you didn't live at my Grandparents R.S-S?
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 05 June 2009 08:32:09(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hmm,

That’s very interesting Harry. My own father’s first name was Harry. I am beginning to smell a rat here; what are you up to Harry or should I say Dad?

I’ve been thinking all night about those long ago Friday bath times. The worst thing that used to happen was when there was a knock at the front door when you had just settled into the tin bath; invariably my mother used to shout: “Come in.” Not having the faintest idea who might appear through the always, unlocked front door. Sometimes it was the man collecting the money for the telly rent other times it was the insurance man and the very worst of all was if a couple of her mates had come round for a glass of cooking sherry. They just sat around chatting whilst I had my Friday bath. It was all very embarrassing.

I remember an incident that happened once and I daren’t tell my parents or neighbours in case they split on me to the police and I ended up at an approved school. I was always threatened with that but never really knew where such schools were located but they sounded pretty scary. In fact I have never told anyone since the day it happened until I relate this story to you now Harry.

One day when all the grown ups were out at work and we were off school me and my mates were larking about and we made a hole in my next door neighbours tin bath with a pen knife. I don’t know why we did it but we did. I suppose we thought they wouldn’t notice and as they were filling the bath on Friday all the water would run out on to the carpet and we would have a good laugh about it when the ‘news broke’ on Saturday morning.
Sadly it did not work out quite like that; the next door neighbours spotted the hole straight away and came round to our house to explain their dilemma and they asked to borrow our bath. Well you’ve guessed it we were using it and I was in it. A big discussion took place while I sat there covering my embarrassment with a flannel and the upshot was my Mum did not want to lend our bath to anyone but she had no objection to them coming round later to use it in our front room after we had all finished bathing. And after all it seemed a shame to just throw away all that hot water when it could be put to good use. Strangely our neighbours thought it was a splendid idea; no boiling of water for them. So for the next two weeks we had a queue of neighbours waiting to use our bathing facilities until their new bath arrived.

Well I’m glad I’ve finally got that off my chest. But a bit of advice to you Harry don’t go messing about with other people’s baths; you could just end up in the same tub as them. And if you bump into any police today please don’t tell them this story.

R. S-S

Fedup  
#11 Posted : 05 June 2009 16:57:02(UTC)
Fedup

What a wonderful tale, R.S-S.

Strange how years ago the threat of approved schools and prisons struck fear into the hearts of young wrongdoers, whereas nowadays they would probably just smirk and say "You can't touch me"!

So now we know you were a bit of a rogue in your youth, R.S-S! Hmm - interesting!
Jake  
#12 Posted : 05 June 2009 17:00:05(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Good grief R.S-S criminal tendancies or what.

These tales bring back so many happy memories of visiting my gran down in Oulton Broad for my summer holidays the outisde loo, the tin bath infront of the fire with all sorts of visitors whilst your having a bath. I don't know how many times the water was used but as R. S-S indicates it was a lot. People were far more neighbourly in those days I think.

We were never short of toilet paper as my Grandad was the oldest paper boy in the country. He was still delivering morning and evening paper at 85, and smoking 60 Park Drive a day.

Jake
High Peak Harry  
#13 Posted : 06 June 2009 06:26:23(UTC)
High Peak Harry

So R S-S, you vandalised the neighbours bath and they end up in your hot water! What a turn of events. I wonder if the residents of Errwod Hall ever had problems with miscreants who are known to both of us, this would have made for a 'rocky' relationship if that were the case.