logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2009 20:16:53(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Hello all

Here's a photo of church bells at Taxal in the early 1900's - that's all I know - any more input from anyone is most welcome !!

Gnats

File Attachment(s):
Taxal bells.JPG (1,025kb) downloaded 67 time(s).
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 15 June 2009 08:05:33(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

That is the late, great Samuel Evans. The Fighting Parson taking delivery of the new bells at the turn of the last century.

At one point Sam fell out with the bell ringers and he would not let them use them for one year.

Sam is buried at the very top of the old part of the Churchyard. If you go down to the seat which backs on to the old graveyard and look over the railings you will see his grave.

Although Rector of Taxal church he was in a strange sort of way responsible for the founding of The Holy Trinity Church in Whaley.

R. S-S
Frankie  
#3 Posted : 15 June 2009 15:13:32(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Just an add on to R.S-S s valuable information.In 1900 parishoners of St James Taxal agreed to replace their three existing bells with six. Inspection had revealed that two were cracked, so badly as to be unusable. Four years later one cracked bell together with the sound bell,dated 1506, was recast. These with the addition of four new bells,form the present sextet shown on the photo with Rev Evans. one badly cracked bell was retained unused in the tower because of its great age. An alloy of copper and tin was used to cast new bells, but cracked or old bells were broken into fragments, melted down by furnace and reformed on pre-cast moulds. This process consisted of paring the thickness of the metal to sharpen the pitch before the final sand blasting to the smooth finish.  

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 15 June 2009 15:20:45(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Did you work on that job Frankie; you seem to know a lot about it?

R. S-S
Frankie  
#5 Posted : 15 June 2009 17:46:07(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

A man called Quasi gave me the info.    

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 16 June 2009 09:36:29(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Frankie,

Ah dear old Quasi, eh?

That reminds me of a story I once heard about him while he was working on those very bells of St James Church Taxal:

Sleeping Beauty, Tom Thumb, and Quasi were all talking one day. Sleeping Beauty said, "I do believe myself to be the most beautiful woman in the world.” Tom Thumb said, "I must be the smallest person in the world." Quasi said, "I absolutely have to be the most disgusting person in the world." So they all asked the Evil Queen's magic mirror to have their claims verified one at a time. Sleeping Beauty went in first and came out looking very happy. “It’s official; I AM the most beautiful girl in the world.” Tom Thumb went next and emerged triumphant, "The mirror says that I truly am the smallest person in the world.” Sometime later, Quasi comes out looking confused and says. "Who is this Jake Walsh anyway”?

Sorry Jake but it had to be said.

Perhaps a quiet word with Admin will put matters right.
If you don’t know how to go about it ask one of your colleagues.

R. S-S