logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MissC  
#1 Posted : 27 December 2010 23:20:10(UTC)
MissC

Groups: Member

Hi All - I'm tracing back some family history and believe this may have been a residence in bridgemont, whaley bridge in th '40s..would it be familiar to anyone?

CllrJonG  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2010 23:01:05(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

I found a reference to the following person living at the following address in 1886:

1886 Cameron, Peter, The Rookery, Bridgemont, Whaley Bridge,

This is from a list of fellows of the Entomological society of London from the following link

http://www.archive.org/stream/transactionsroy01londgoog/transactionsroy01londgoog_djvu.txt

I'm not entirely certain if the house is still there or what it was. I might take a walk down there tomorrow and have a look.

Also found this at: http://genforum.com/hand/messages/3364.html

I am michael david hand and my father is vincent dougals johnston hand ,off rookery villa bridgemont ,whalty bridge ,near stockport his father was thomas willam hand he was a public house proprietor now deceased his mothers name was besty hand ms. downs ,he married my mother on the 12th of april 1941 in dundee , my mothers name was isabella galloway middleton, he was a motor factory labourer ordinary seaman in the royal navy in 1941 i would like to hear from anybody out there who can give me info on my father

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
parabuild  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2010 08:16:22(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Yesterday I came across a census entry for Rookery Villas whilst researching a different subject.  I think this was the 1891 census and it listed two adjacent homes at Rookery Villas.  The preceding entry was Bankside and the following entries were all Bridgemont.   If the census was geographically correct Rookery Villas might be the Victorian semi-detatched block next to Bridgemont garage.  I did walk past last night and could not see a name plate but closer inspection by Jon G. might produce the answer

parabuild  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2010 08:37:02(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Here are the 1891 and 1901 extracts from the census.   In both years Bridgemont addresses preceded and followed the Rookery Villas entry which adds to the confusion.  The 1901 entry for Algernon Kirk might help as he was a member of the Kirk family, previously of Bothomes Hall.  He was to re-purchase Bothomes but not until 1910.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
census-1891.jpg
census-1901.jpg
MissC  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2010 20:54:26(UTC)
MissC

Hi again,

Thank you all so much for your time on this, really appreciated.  I too found the Cameron reference and the message post on the genforum is actually from my father, I am helping him trace his own father, a Vincent Hand.  Recent info he got registered him living at this address in 1941 when he married my grandmother hence my curiousity around it however he was engaged in war service at this time with the Royal Navy....I have other documents now tracing him back to Newcastle under Lyme where his death is registered in 1993 so I had hoped rookery villa might help fill in the gaps in between and around that time as we believe he may have moved on to america at one point....anyway the search goes on!

Once again thank you so much for the responses

Nicola

CllrJonG  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2010 02:56:18(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi MissC,

Thankyou very much for your comments. It's all rather  interesting for us at this end as we find out new information about our village in the process too. Parabuild was absolutely spot on on his guess. There is no sign on the building, but when i went and asked today , I was told that this building was known as the Rookery. It is a building that  is in the style of the 'Villas' in this area, and it clearly consists of two buildings, so i am pretty certain that this was Rookery Villas. The front doors have been blocked in and there are now porches on each end. I had a brief chat with an occupant on the right hand side of the building and they confirmed the Rookery connection. The 'Littlewood' family (maiden name of wife i think)have lived there for the last 75 years, and I hope this helps in your quest. Let me know if it rings any bells. I will go and have a chat with the people on the left hand side as well and see if  they have any detail. I'll mention Vincent Hand, and see if they have any thoughts. Picture of Rookery Villas(assumed) below:

You mentioned that he saw service in the Navy. There is another post on this forum about  HMS CAPE COMORIN which Whaley bridge Urban district council adopted in February 1942. Just out of interest, does his war record show him serving on this ship? It's unlikely as I think the adoption was random, but it would be very interesting if there was a connection.

Cheers

jon. 

Edited by user 31 December 2010 03:08:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
rookery.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
MissC  
#7 Posted : 07 January 2011 15:36:59(UTC)
MissC

My next direction is navy records but I am unsure how to go about that at the moment so don't know about the ship connection but I'll check it out...he may have lived here with his mother, her maiden name was Downs, the family resided in staffs in the early 20s...its interesting that this family has lived here for 75 years though as he would have been residing at rookery within this time.

Thanks again everyone...I'll keep you posted if I recover any more around the rookery and please let me know if you do.

Cheers
Nicola
parabuild  
#8 Posted : 12 January 2011 22:33:37(UTC)
parabuild

Man

From The Manchester Guardian 3rd March 1906

parabuild attached the following image(s):
3.3.1906.JPG
MissC  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2011 14:38:32(UTC)
MissC

The auction is interesting,  i don't think the family would have moved here until post 1920...would anybody be aware of any specific motor factories around the are at this time?

Nicola