logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
george  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2009 20:47:21(UTC)
george

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Meanwhile in case anyone is interested we have; "Whaley Market"

A short time ago there was a general view of W. B. looking west showing the fair in the wakes ground before the fire ststion was built in 1959/60 As far as I remember the annual "wakes" (fair) came for two weeks in August, with the usual rides and stalls,it was always beautiful sunny warm weather then!

The remainder of the year we had Whaley Market open each week behind the White Hart there were a variety of stalls and part of it was indoors, in what had probably been stables for the White Hart, see the attached photo (I hope). I don't know when it started, but it is called Market Street, during the 1950's the number of stalls gradually disappeared and I think it finally died the early 70's.Those were the days when you could buy virtually all you wanted in W. B.  Ah! those were the days.

george  

george attached the following image(s):
scan0006.jpg
Gnatalee  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2009 21:24:02(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi George

I remember visiting Whaley Market in the early 60's with my gran.  I seem to remember there were quite a few outdoor stalls (but I don't remember an indoor section) and it seemed very busy.  The thing about markets is the wide variety of choice of products and produce, and the fact that anyone can open a little stall and get a start.

I think open air markets are becoming a thing of the past - we're too molly-coddled these days.  Where I live (I am not a Whaley resident but a descendant !) in the 50's and 60's our outdoor market was a big deal.  Lots of stalls, all under canvas, plenty of choice etc attracting people from outside of the town to do their shopping, especially on a Saturday when the ladies did the shopping in the afternoon whilst the hubbies went to watch the local football match!!  Today the market is indoors and whilst it is very nice it just isn't the same and, of course, the rents on an indoor market are higher.  Of course the subject of car parks comes into the success (or not) of such ventures and the dreaded "pay and display" is another discouragement to visit.

Like you George, I wish the old-style markets were back but then-again I wouldn't volunteer to work on a stall in the winter !!!!  It must've been really hard - especially in places like Whaley - I take my hat off to the stall-holders

Gnats

Fedup  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2009 19:51:18(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I moved into Whaley in 1979, George, and there were still a few stalls behind the White Hart on a Saturday.

Not for long though!
tyke  
#4 Posted : 27 June 2009 09:14:33(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Perhaps some sort of special event market(bank holiday), car boot type or even a bigger farmers market could be resurrected and put on the old site or was it sold off by the council for a bit of ready cash?
george  
#5 Posted : 27 June 2009 18:21:42(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello everyone

Thank you tyke good idea you raised about a special event, perhaps some group could pick it up. You also introduce an interesting question who owns the area, does anyone know who owns the car park? I saw some of the chipping come when the improved surface put down, who paid for them?

Thank you Fedup, I couldn't remember when the market closed I should have done becaused I work very close.

george