logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2011 12:49:56(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

I have received the following e mail.  I wonder if any members can expand on this.

My name is Gordon Shipman, an expatriate Brit living in Israel. I am writing to you to share what may perhaps be a common interest. This concerns a Roman road near Alstonlee whose existence has never been confirmed, according to the literature I have perused.

I was a student at Manchester University in the mid-1970s, and spent much of my leisure time walking in the Goyt Valley area. On one of my walks, in the very hot summer of 1976, I took a footpath from Chapel en le Frith Station up in the direction of Alstonlee. I noticed, near Alstonlee I think it was, that the path was bordered by some very old-looking stone bollards entrenched in the hillside. I mention the hot summer, because I believe these structures must have been concealed over time, and were only uncovered as a result of the hot weather which would have dried up the surrounding vegetation. This discovery intrigued me, and I tried to research the matter in Manchester Central Library, where I found a book that mentioned the rumored existence of a Roman road in the vicinity. It occurred to me that the stone bollards I mentioned could have been part of such a road.

In the 35 years that have passed since then of course the existence of the road may well have been confirmed but if not, did I actually discover evidence of its existence?

In case you are wondering why I am contacting you at this stage, it is because I now have time on my times and am planning a trip to the area.

I hope my information may be of interest to you.

buggyite  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2011 13:29:03(UTC)
buggyite

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

If you come out of Buxton on Long Hill, just after Cold Springs Farm,  the road bears to the left, with an old road (called Old Road) going more or less straight on. This is marked up as a roman road on OS maps, and goes past White Wall eventually coming out onto Elnor Lane by the Shall Cross.

Perhaps there was a "branch" off this road from the White Hall area towards Combs or Chapel.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!