logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lady Madonna  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2011 02:45:03(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Groups: Member

Hi RSS,

It has taken some time but i finally got a copy of the book (via Amozon) and have just finished reading it. I would like to thank-you for what was an interesting and informative read, any ideas of a more peaceful and tranquil life in the early part of the centuary were soon removed and replaced with an admiration for anyone who survived life in a working class family.

Once again thanks Lady M.   

Edited by user 16 July 2011 17:28:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2011 18:10:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello My Lady,

You may imagine me bowing in front of you at this moment.

But as I do not want your imagination to overtake you back to The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists:
I am so glad you managed to obtain a copy of this most magnificent of books. I could have lent or given you a copy if you had asked.
When I get time I will put a copy of Owen’s “Great Money Trick” on the forum for people to read but I think I shall use the Doctor Allan thread for it as that story had certain parallels with RTP and it all happened in Whaley Bridge.
I have managed to obtain a first edition of Tressell of Mugsborough which was published in 1951 and is about research into the characters that were portrayed in the book. Not as good as the original by any means but still interesting.

I was talking only this week with a full time official from UCATT (the building workers trade union) and the subject of apprenticeships came up and he told me that every year they have some awards for high achieving apprentices.
They aren’t presented with a silver trowel or gold plated saw; they are all given a copy of The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists.
So the powerful work of Robert Tressell (or Noonan as was his real name) lives on even today and it will for many, many more years.
When he died he was buried in a mass grave alongside other paupers; surprising for someone who wrote a book that has sold over a million copies and has never been out of print
I recently treated myself to a ‘Kindle’ and the first book on there was the RTP. The second was ‘But can you drink the water?’ and although I found it very funny it was a very distant second.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#3 Posted : 17 July 2011 23:21:13(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

You may be amused to learn that the "great money trick" was once a part of the curriculum of the social awareness training for officers in the metropolitan police. Recent events may show that the lesson was not well learnt, or perhaps, too well learnt.

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Lady Madonna  
#4 Posted : 18 July 2011 02:14:09(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi RSS & RockBanker,
How interesting to find that the book is given to apprentices one would only hope that they read it and appreciate the great leaps forward in the conditions of employment today! and also that the police have used it as part of their training.
'the great money trick' seems to have avoided my capabilities despite the title, however i will be filling the holes in my house with soil from the garden before using a top coat of plaster to save some money!!
It is very sad that the author was buried in such circumstances. I shall now obtain the book relating to the research of the characters and look forward to the continuation of the Dr Allen thread with regards to the 'great money trick'.
Lady M.

limestone  
#5 Posted : 18 July 2011 12:30:38(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Penguin commissioned the original artwork (top) for the cover of their modern classics edition. In order no doubt to make the title text stand out in the published edition the figure in the foreground required a change of shirt. 
Changed to perhaps an unlikely or impractical colour for a painter also just a little M&S - shame.

Edited by user 18 July 2011 19:18:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

limestone attached the following image(s):
penguin.jpg
ragd.jpg