logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
probono  
#1 Posted : 29 July 2011 09:00:23(UTC)
probono

Groups: Member

Anyone know of a bt qualified engineer who would test my  broadband connection

(internal wiring) . I have read about the BT charges and cannot afford that sort

of money as I believe the slow speeds I am getting are the fault of my provider and not the wiring.

Resident of New Mills...

tyke  
#2 Posted : 29 July 2011 09:49:35(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I am not a bt man but try this. Do an internet speed test to log your interenet speed  (there are many free ones online) Then unplug your internal wiring from the master wall socket (should be possible) connect your router direct to the line in the socket on the wall and do it again. (you might need a screwdriver) Then compare the results. If there is no difference then its not you.

probono  
#3 Posted : 29 July 2011 10:07:59(UTC)
probono

tyke wrote:

I am not a bt man but try this. Do an internet speed test to log your interenet speed  (there are many free ones online) Then unplug your internal wiring from the master wall socket (should be possible) connect your router direct to the line in the socket on the wall and do it again. (you might need a screwdriver) Then compare the results. If there is no difference then its not you.

Thanks for the reply..I have done this also done the bt ringback and quiet test and all are fine.

I have also reformatted the hdd and reinstalled the os have tried another router also renewed all the filters and cabes to the router.

All to no avail..BT tell me there is no fault onnthe exchange and I should get 4mb d/load I am actually getting 135k down and 357k up from the bt speed test.

Plusnet my provider sas the fault is on my internal wiring which is causing an intermittent fault this is why I need the wiring tested but not at bt prices :-(

G. Jackson  
#4 Posted : 29 July 2011 11:26:09(UTC)
G. Jackson

The only ex-BT engineer I know is Roger Wilde ( 01298 79384) he worked on broadband quite a lot before he took early retirement and set up a telecom business in Buxton. I'm sure he will either be able to help or put you in touch with someone who could. His business also is fitting burglar alarms, telephone extensions and the like. and he had done quite a lot of work for me and I can vouch that he is a lot cheaper than BT.

Edited by user 29 July 2011 11:27:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

zephyr4  
#5 Posted : 29 July 2011 21:18:49(UTC)
zephyr4

This site might be helpful.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/index.htm

probono  
#6 Posted : 30 July 2011 08:35:19(UTC)
probono

Thanks for all the replies..I am using Linux os which rarely gets infected by a virus .

I have 4 boxes that are hard wired to the router and all suffer the same symptoms.

I have taken a machine to a friends and it connects to btinternet with no problems.

My provider,Plusnet have now admitted there is a fault their end and say they have

put  it right but my dload speed is still 128kbps. I have written to them again and will

see what they come up with and if no joy will move my account to BT..