logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ginger  
#1 Posted : 07 August 2011 13:21:46(UTC)
ginger

Groups: Member

went to take my plastic stuff down to Tesco recycling only to be greeted by one very small and very full bin and mountains of plastic discarded around it. I, as I suppose many others, complained instore only to be greeted by words such as - well its head offices idea to change the provider, therefore you would need to write to complain there. I duly have done but surely there is a manager at Whaley Tescos who should be on the case immediately? Just goes to show that Tesco says its supports the community then as time goes on, withdraws its support. I guess it cant treat its staff much better either judging by the degree of apathy and shoulder shrugging I was greeted with. Not a good employer me thinks if the stores own staff havent got the authority to complain on behalf of the customer?

Anyway, rant over. Is there anywhere else in Whaley where plastics can go.?I know of the one on the car park but theres rumours now that this is to be taken away. I hope not  if this is what Tescos are going to leave us with.

Flannel  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2011 07:27:05(UTC)
Flannel

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Taking plastic to Tescos seems a bit of an anomaly now we have recycling bins for everything else.

I am not sure if I want another bin to add to the line outside my back gate, but there must be something better than driving down the road and squeezing bottles one at a time through the little rubber orifice plastered in everybody else's spilt milk and sticky residue just before I do my shopping.

I think the councils are not too interested in plastic recycling, as the recycling targets were set by weight. Its also less profitable as the plastics have to be sorted out into 5 or 6 types before they can be used, while steel and aluminium can just be separated with a magnet. However other councils do collect them so its not impossible.

JohnP  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2011 18:43:55(UTC)
JohnP

Man

Plastic Recycling:

Cllr Bisknell, the new Leader of High Peak Borough Council, has said that she is determined to promote kerbside recycling and to look at better ways of recycling plastics as effectively as possible to increase the borough's recycling rate from 42 per cent. Please see: http://www.highpeak.gov.uk/news/press/2011may2038.asp

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘Staffordshire Moorlands District Council, HPBC's Strategic Alliance partner since 2008, is England's number one recycling authority with more than 60 per cent of household waste recycled while High Peak's rate has soared from 10.7 per cent in 2004/05 to more than 40 per cent. The addition of food waste to the kerbside recycling service from next month (ie April 2010) will help take the borough way beyond the 40 per cent target set by the Government for 2012.’ Please see:

Flannel  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2011 07:53:59(UTC)
Flannel

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank John P.

That's a very helpful reply.
Jonny Summers  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2011 20:32:26(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Ginger, can't really follow your logic in the criticism of Tesco for not having a larger plastic recycling bank. If you want this, surely you should lobby the council for this as it's they who provide the waste management in the area. Seems very easy to expect Tesco to solve any & all problems just because they're a successful business.
Over the hill but not far away  
#6 Posted : 11 August 2011 00:13:49(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

Wouldn't it be nice if  Whaley led the way in banning (discouraging) the use of plastic bags-and those take away containers...yes that's all of you food outlets...all use plastic!

I am constantly offered bags in local shops for things that are already wrapped in plastic.  And yet the shop keepers know that 6.1 billion bags were given out in the UK last year.

Tesco is by far the largest  local purveyor of this stuff that has caused a hundred mile wide, one metre deep sea of plastic in the Pacific, not to mention the canal towpath and it wouldn't hurt them to be better neighbours by providing adequate recycling facilitiies and sponsoring the litter pick this weekend.

But then most of it is sent to India or China in containers and burnt on fires by children  who breath in the toxic fumes if we recycle it ,so maybe we just should buy less of it.

Cheers

Jonny Summers  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2011 19:56:51(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The phrase that comes to mind is "personal responsibility" (I tend to use this more & more as I get older) Instead of blaming others, in this case Tesco, why not discourage shoppers from using these bags. I can just imagine the public outcry if supermarkets announced that they would be no longer offering plastic bags at their check-outs!!! If "we" don't want this wasteful problem, let's take our own bags to the shops.........something tells me that this will not happen