logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gio  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2011 23:06:57(UTC)
Gio

Groups: Member
Man

Hello all..and firstly may I say what a great forum site.

I have just opened the Gentlemans Barbers at Horwich End today in what I discovered was an old cycle shop many years ago...whilst I am pleased about this as the shop no doubt attracted many varied characters from all over ...It would be very interesting to hear from anybody with any more knowledge or photos of what the shop became after the cycle shop....And lastly I would just like to say what a lovely friendly bunch of people we had visit us today at 149 Buxton Road.

Gio attached the following image(s):
MY SHOP.jpg
Lady Madonna  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2011 01:10:47(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi Gio & Welcome,
In the 1960's the shop was Lillian Clarke's Ladies Hairdressers for the more discerning 'Mature Lady' and the 'Dragged along children of the aforementioned'!
You hoped your hair do wouldn't take too long due to the lack of toilet facilities, you could run upto the garage with your curlers in if desperate.
Lady M.
G. Jackson  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2011 08:32:51(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Gio, 

Welcome to the forum and Whaley Bridge, Good Luck with the barber's shop. I can see from the photograph that you already have customers queueing up outside this means you are either good, cheap or very slow.

G.J.

Gio  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2011 08:58:26(UTC)
Gio

Man

Thankyou Lady M and G.J ...And yes those guys outside have been waiting around for a good barbershop in the town for a long time about a hundred years by the looks of it.  ..I am aware the shop was a ladies hairdressers....it was time inbetween the cycle shop and the ladies hairdressers...I'm wondering about...and what year that photo was taken. Anyway thanks for the welcome...Regards,

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 17 August 2011 09:07:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

G. Jackson wrote:

Dear Gio, 

Welcome to the forum and Whaley Bridge, Good Luck with the barber's shop. I can see from the photograph that you already have customers queueing up outside this means you are either good, cheap or very slow.

G.J.

Gio,

I also welcome you to the forum.

You must take no notice of the typical and expected response from G Jackson.

It was totally uncalled for in my opinion.

The next thing you know he may well suggest the ‘customers’ have already had their barnets attended to by your very good self and have now been forced to hide their locks beneath the headwear of the day. Not only that he may very well put forward the ridiculous idea that they are waiting for you to leave at the end of the day to have a word with you about their new looks before they dare to go home.

I do note, somewhat with alarm, that one of the ‘customers’ is armed with a sledgehammer. He may be sporting a Mohican I suppose.

But as I say take not one bit of notice from the Madman that is G Jackson.

R. S-S
Gio  
#6 Posted : 18 August 2011 10:43:01(UTC)
Gio

Man

Ha ha..well I do provide hats ....and at least this end of town you can run off into the hills without anyone seeing your hair(handy location) as for the Hatchets well I am a good runner and have being going to the gym a lot recently..  Thanks just slipping into trainers now