logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jean  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2009 14:25:34(UTC)
Jean

Groups: Member

Next Wednesday at 21.00 the excellent BBC 2 documentary series about the weather looks at winds. It features some remarkable wind based stories but unfortunately does not mention the famous (!) Whaley Bridge Tornado of 20 July 1662.

I thought users of this forum may be interested in the following information I found in Chambers’ 1869 book of days:

A TORNADO IN CHESHIRE

The 20th of July 1662 was marked in Lancashire and Cheshire by a storm of prodigious violence, accompanied by a fall of heavy hailstones. What, however, chiefly distinguished the day, was a travelling vortex or whirlwind, which produced some remarkable effects, and is thus vividly described in a volume, entitled Admirable Curiosities, &c., published in London in 1682.

'In the same day,' says this narration, 'in the after-noon, in the forest of Maxfield [Macclesfield], there arose a great pillar of smoke, in height like a steeple, and judged twenty yards broad, which, making a most hideous noise, went along the ground six or seven miles, levelling all the way; it threw down fences and stone walls, and carried the stones a great distance from their places, but happening upon moorish ground [moor-land] not inhabited, it did the less hurt. The terrible noise it made so frightened the cattle, that they ran away, and were thereby pre-served; it passed over a cornfield, and laid it as low with the ground as if it had been trodden down by feet; it went through a wood, and turned up above an hundred trees by the roots; coming into a field full of cocks of hay ready to be carried in, it swept all away, so that scarce a handful of it could after-wards be found, only it left a great tree in the middle of the field, which it had brought from some other place. From the forest of Maxfield, it went up by a town called Taxal, and thence to Wailey Bridge [Whaley Bridge], where, and nowhere else, it over-threw an house or two, yet the people that were in them received not much hurt, but the timber was carried away nobody knew whither. From thence it went up the hills into Derbyshire, and so vanished. This account was given by Mr. Hurst, minister of Taxal, who had it from an eye-witness.'

Any more freak Whaley weather stories anyone?

Jean

Gnatalee  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2009 18:44:11(UTC)
Gnatalee

Wow !

I just love that description !! Don't you find the language interesting? I like the description of the "great pillar of smoke" ... judged 20 yards broad. I think this is a gem !

At a time when communication was much more long-winded than today it must have been really frightening and difficult to find out how friends and relatives in the next village had coped with this dreadful weather.

My only contribution on the "freak Whaley weather" story front is that I recall my Dad telling me about a cloudburst/storm further up the River Goyt which resulted in the river swelling so much that the debris being washed down the river, such as strawbales and dead sheep, having to be pushed under the bridge (I always assumed this was the one in Bridge Street but there are a few more before that !) to ensure that no more was swept away. Couldn't tell you when this happened but was probably in the late 20's/early 30's.

I will delve further !!!

Thank you Jean - I found that really interesting. 

Gnats

Edited by user 08 May 2009 18:46:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 09 May 2009 08:49:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Gnatalee,

The flood you refer to was in 1930 and your Dad is right many things were washed down the Goyt Valley including, as you say, sheep. When the surging torrent reached Botany Works the men had to climb on to the roof of one building to save themselves. Remember Botany Works was smaller in those days but bales of cotton were picked up by the waters and found miles away. The Memorial Park was flooded as were quite a lot of properties.

When Stockport Corporation purchased the land in the Goyt Valley at about this time to build Fernilee Reservoir it was thought the problem of cloud bursts would not threaten the lower part of the valley again; when Errwood Reservoir was constructed in the late 1960’s this point of view was reinforced. But after particularly wet weather in October in the early 1990’s there was another cloud burst and we came within a whisker of another major flooding incident. Frankie will tell us how Botany Works was affected at that time as I suspect he had some remedial work to attend to during the following days. I think the sprinkler system was washed away at one point wasn’t it Frankie?

Incidentally the River Goyt was totally different before the construction of the two massive reservoirs up above. The river was wide and people used to camp up there and there were all sorts of river pastimes such as canoeing and swimming. Nowadays you would be hard put to find anywhere along its length where the water came up to your knees never mind swimming and canoeing.

R. S-S

Frankie  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2009 14:26:15(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

R.S.S.

I do remember problems with the sprinkler system.Recollect a problem with a feed pipe which crossed the river. Would probably have got contractors in to do the work.

Gnatalee  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2009 23:35:55(UTC)
Gnatalee

"Incidentally the River Goyt was totally different before the construction of the two massive reservoirs up above. The river was wide and people used to camp up there and there were all sorts of river pastimes such as canoeing and swimming. Nowadays you would be hard put to find anywhere along its length where the water came up to your knees never mind swimming and canoeing.W

I think my Dad had been swimming during the day of the flood but they had gone home by the time the flash-flood had occurred.

It is nice to have confirmation of these memories because I have grown up with these stories but Dad is not so confident with his memory these days (a slight understatement unfortunately).

As an aside, Dad will be 88 this week and I will take him to Whaley within the next few weeks - his memories always anchor him to Whaley.

Gnats

Edited by user 09 May 2009 23:36:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Imanust  
#6 Posted : 24 September 2009 20:32:10(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I hadnt heard of the 1662 Tornado but I do remember the mid-late 1990 (almost) flood event quite well, when the Goyt was close to 1/2 a foot from flooding vast parts of the Village.

Reading the topic however reminded me about the Funnel cloud I spotted on June 15th of this year after a violent storm we had that came from the Manchester area, Luckily I managed to film parts of it aswell as keeping RADAR information which shows the "Hook" echo as the Funnel cloud developed over Ladder Hill and carried on over parts of Tunstead. The Funnel was rain-wrapped so it was hard to distinguish, and (luckily/unluckily) the convection within the storm meant the Funnel Cloud didnt last long to reach ground and cause damage as a Tornado.

Heres my video from Youtube, unfortunately I never managed to see if anyone close got pictures as the Buxton Advertiser decided "other" things were more important than this weather event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgoLwKoraKU

JonG  
#7 Posted : 19 June 2011 11:52:11(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

I have just been reminded that next year, July 20th 2012, is the 350th anniversary of the Whaley Bridge Tornado, which occurred on 20th July 1662.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
shallcross  
#8 Posted : 19 June 2011 12:09:59(UTC)
shallcross

Jon

There is a wonderful unique anniversary subject, for featuring as part of next years Whaley Well Dressing.

Shallcross
Digger  
#9 Posted : 19 June 2011 20:12:31(UTC)
Digger

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Guest wrote:

Heres my video from Youtube, unfortunately I never managed to see if anyone close got pictures as the Buxton Advertiser decided "other" things were more important than this weather event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgoLwKoraKU

I have just tried the link and it states that the video is no longer available because you have closed your account.

Green_Gentleman  
#10 Posted : 20 June 2011 12:12:18(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

Whoops, yes thats right. I had the account for a year but I'm more orientated to Photography than Videography it has to be said. I still have the origional .bmp/.jpg files aswell as the video of the Funnel Cloud itself on disk however