logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Green_Gentleman  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2011 22:35:44(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

Groups: Member

Big thanks goes to the Round Table yet again who, despite the technical hiccup mid-display, managed to manually rewire everything leaving a brilliant finale. It was worth the wait..although from a photographers perspective the floodlights were a obstacle to overcome with the ground displays (these things are sent to test us )

Got a handful of pics floating around the web as I speak, and here's a couple from the selection. I noticed another was also there with a DSLR and Tripod so there may be so short-exposure images similar to mine to come.

Green_Gentleman attached the following image(s):
02.JPG
03.JPG
15.JPG
17.JPG
Jonny Summers  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2011 17:37:42(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I agree that the display was up to it's usual high quality, and there's no doubting all the effort & hard work put in by the Round Table (& other volunteers) but I'd appreciate it if anyone could help answer a few questions, as last night I heard several "half explanations"
1) What was the actual reason that we didn't have a bonfire? I heard "Health & Safety issues", lack of volunteers, not enough space due to Children's firework display & that the fire brigade would have to put out the fire BEFORE any firework display could be started???
2) Why was there a 30 minute delay between the end of the children's display & the start of the main display (and I'm not referring to the technical delay, and these things can't be helped) On a cold evening I don't see the reasoning in keeping everyone waiting around for so long?
3) What happened to the catering van(s) we've had in previous years? Again, several rumours flying around, but a definite explanation answer would be great
Norm  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2011 18:17:34(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Norm attached the following image(s):
Pic02s.jpg
Pic05s.jpg
Pic06s.jpg
Pic10s.jpg
Pic12s.jpg
Pic13s.jpg
Pic20s.jpg
Pic23s.jpg
Pic24s.jpg
Pic25s.jpg
nce  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2011 18:33:04(UTC)
nce

To Mr Summers,

I have been passed the text below by the organiser on the night. I am the person described in the text as being away:

1. Reason for no bonfire – Goyt Valley Round Table consists of 4 members. There are just not enough people who can assist in the building and cleaning up of a bonfire any more. While we are able to call on a few volunteers to assist for 3-4 hours in the evening, the actual creation of a bonfire (with its associated risks and requirements and liability if it goes wrong) is a massive headache. The 4 members of GVRT all do this in the very little spare time that they have, alongside their family responsibilities. As it happens one of the team was abroad on the night as well. It was nothing to do with the fire brigade (who have always been very helpful and need to be there to extinguish the embers) – its really down to a lack of people who can commit to quite a lot of time and responsibility, not only on the night but in the weeks running up to it. If you’d like to become a member of GVRT and help next year (assuming there is an event next year) then look at the website www.goytvalleyroundtable.org.uk

2. The 30 minute delay allowed the band to play again (and what a great job they did); allowed the display team to clear the site of the children’s display debris and allow the children to leave before the main display fired. Having seen the exodus on the bottom gate we certainly needed the full 30 minutes. Hopefully it wasn’t that cold and the main display was advertised as starting at 1930.

3. I’d like to know what happened to the catering van too. Having received a firm commitment that there would be one there from the owner/operator there wasn’t much we could do at 1815 when he didn’t turn up – the show must go on (even if it was with interruptions).

All in all people were very generous in their donations, although the income did not cover the costs of the event by some margin.

GVRT
Jonny Summers  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2011 20:16:13(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks for your prompt reply, and answers to the questions raised. May I say that I in no way wished any offense, as I appreciate all community work undertaken by volunteers. I note with sadness that the event ran at a loss and sincerely hope that last night's display was not the last one!!!
MrTrueman  
#6 Posted : 07 November 2011 09:26:45(UTC)
MrTrueman

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Many thanks GVRT, a very good evening. 

Lucky the technical hitch was not like this one in Oban.

Edited by user 23 November 2011 11:11:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,

Mr Trueman

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Whaley Bridge website needs your help. Please email us your local news and events.
http://www.whaleybridge.com/contact/

Please support our local Computer Company, Trusted IT they provide this forum for all to use.
http://www.trustedit.co.uk