logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tyke  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2011 13:22:05(UTC)
tyke

Groups: Member
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

It seems that British Waterways Response to problems with parking on the Offside (nearest the road) of the canal basin is to place huge boulders blocking all vehicle access.

Now I'm not sure what the rest of the forum think but my opinion is that these are totally unsightly and unnecessary.

The access has had gates for some time and surely all these needed was simply a lock. To prevent access round them a small fence or bollards is all that was needed and much neater. The large diggers that placed these large boulders there have damaged the grass which I know has been tended by a few gorrilla gardeners over the summer. It seems that all the efforts to improve the canal environment for vistiors is being undone by BW.

There are also other issues here as well, as members know there is the W3 event every june, how will the placement of these rocks affect that event? Surely they will have to be moved by then (leaving the grass again in a mess), just in time for visitors to our town to see.... great! Surely the owners of Phoenix and the Judith Mary will also need access.

I do not expect anything will happen now with these for years as putting things right on the waterways never happens, just think of the visitor moorings!

Oh apparently by the way, there must be no diggers in this area......the diggers were brought in from Nottingham to do the job......Crazy!

Perhaps John you might want to get in touch with BW and find out what if anything can be done?

towpath tommy  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2011 19:53:09(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

Hi everyone. Its quite possible that this has been done to prevent unauthorised craning out of boats on that side - it was about this time last year that a boat was craned in there - apparently without consent from BW.
I would have thought that placing boulders there was a bit over the top when a lock would have done the same job, BUT on a lighter note - I understand that the towpath is to be repaired some time in February!
Towpath Tommy ( Dave Peart ) thinks a day without laughter is a day wasted
barrwalk  
#3 Posted : 16 December 2011 10:51:29(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

It is my understanding that the canal side wall on the Whaley Wharf has, for some time, been deemed by B.W. to be unsafe for craning boats and that activity is banned until the canal wall has been rebuilt. Despite the refusal of the Town Council to contribute towards the maintenance of this central and important grassed area, following my request as Chair of W3, it has been maintained by both High Peak B.C. (who already are contracted to do the other side of the T.S.W) and volunteers. Let's hope it has not been too damaged by the diggers.
The locks on the gate are a B.W. padlock of which there are thousands in circulation throughout the country. When padlocked, only these B.W. key holders/licence payers could get through, NOW nobody can get through, not even lorries that bring in diesel/coal etc to the supply boats that sell this diesel, coal and boating supplies to boaters using the basin who bring much needed business and buy their groceries and other supplies here at the W.B. shops.
We have been shot in the foot yet again. When will W.B.T.C. get the message that they should be pro-active in encouraging business into our town? Here is an opportunity to impress us with their understanding of the situation, your determination to keep W.B. alive and fulfill your vision (yet to be announced) of the future of our town.

Edited by user 16 December 2011 10:54:20(UTC)  | Reason: typos and spelling again

towpath tommy  
#4 Posted : 16 December 2011 23:33:35(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

Hello everyone.. Well this is a long shot and may not suit everyone - but what idea ever does?.. Now that BW is moving to charity status and seeking grants for work on the canal.. Why cant we set up a "Friends of Whaley Bridge Canal Basin and Transhipment Warehouse" group to try to save the future of the building and preserve the canal basin? It could try to register as a charity and apply for grants for restoration work. What does everyone else think?
barrwalk  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2012 16:15:33(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

Well said TOWPATH TOMMY! The idea is sound but without the support of the Whaley Eleven you may not get very far. Several years ago James Middleton and I, as prime users of the Wharf (W3 Chairman and Secretary), produced a proposal with the appproval of the W.B. Amenity Society (remember them?) that would transform the area and the Transhipment Warehouse (TSW) itself. This written plan was spread around interested bodies and uninterested ones including the W.B.T.C. They did not grasp the ideas but went on to add tens of thousands of pounds cost for yet another consulatation ! cost another £50k and was unfiished ! (total cost of consultations to date is well over £100k). They then lost the plot and allowed the project to be lumped together with Bingswood Estate rejunvination.That took a deuce of a long time and they then lost the whole of the combined project after they 'waited' until the East Midlands Dvelopment Agency was disbanded. Money Gone!
Since then it has been laid to rest, so YES! let's have a charitable group! There is no other way forward. Would the chairman please step forward?
towpath tommy  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2012 17:24:43(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

Hello Everyone,  Well Barry I used to be the chairman of a group in my home town - but that was a few years ago, I am not a local resident - although I try to get to Whaley as often as I can. If someone will volunteer to be chair of a steering group I would willingly get involved as the area desperately needs reviving - but PLEASE not with the glass monstrosity that was planned for the wharf! 

Horwich Ender  
#7 Posted : 13 January 2012 17:22:52(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

barrwalk wrote:
YES! let's have a charitable group! There is no other way forward. Would the chairman please step forward?

Whenever the word “Chairman” is mentioned there is one name that springs to mind immediately.

Step forward our great leader Councillor Jon Goldfinch.

If ever there was a man for this job its Chairman Jon The Whaley One.

Edited by user 13 January 2012 17:23:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Barry Rudd  
#8 Posted : 13 January 2012 22:46:51(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Good evening Tommy,

I was on site whilst the stone blocks were put  in place.  British waterways saw fit to take this action after abuses by boat residents.  I witnessed a boat being craned into the water without permission.  Last Autumn the BW "car park" became a boat repair yard -with engines being changed and rubbish being left behind.  Recently a boat resident thought it OK to live in the basin and park his car on BW land next to his boat- this particular resident was snoring soundly when I and members of the Whaley 4 Wards group removed litter from outside his boat.

Last year on a litter pick in the woods next to the towpath we found that much of the rubbish was from boat residents.

If one wishes to become a "friend of the basin" then it is very easy -get down there and pick up some litter, clean signage, pull a few weeds and take pride in the place.  "friends of the basin" may happen and will depend on BW's response -but why wait let's make a start now.  What we don't need is another quango and yet another committee in town consisting of the same few faces.

Behind the scenes work is being done, contacts being made and permissions sought-I as chair of W3 have asked for permission for our group to maintain the area on the road side of the Transhipment warehouse....the bit where perhaps  ten of us exposed the cobbles, strimmed and pruned so that visitors would think that townsfolk looked after their  heritage...... only one of those ten was Whaley born and none a boat resident.

Jon G has enough on his plate and having seen behind the scenes as Chair of W3 and  member  of  Whaley4Wards  I can assure you all that there is  more than one active member of WBTC.  That they don't all participate in this forum is a pesonal choice-I myself have found the forum tedious at times and have taken a break from it.  W3 is using Facebook and twitter along with the traditional media to promote our towns event and reach a wider audience.

Cheers

Barry

Edited by user 14 January 2012 04:57:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

towpath tommy  
#9 Posted : 14 January 2012 00:11:08(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

Hello everyone - Barry - I take your point - some of the worst offenders ARE boaters - last year I was involved for an hour in the litter pick at the horse tunnel end ( I am as you may have guessed a boater - but not a residential boater) and have personally put up signs about speeding cyclists, dog fouling and unruly behaviour..there are also times when there isnt enough room in the rubbish bin area for boaters to dispose of their rubbish as the bins have been filled by local residents with household rubbish.  I have stopped dog owners who have opted to leave their dogs mess on the towpath and asked them to pick it up or be reported.  I can see what the problems are and want to do something about them to improve the area and will happily get involved to try and improve the situation - but to be involved it helps to know whats happening - with plenty of notice - behind the scenes work is great but not many people know what is happening behind the scenes. incidentally the boat that was craned in last year was not craned in by a private boater but had been brought by a boatbuilder - it was then moored on the waterpoint overnight! - the four burly fellas that stayed on it were not too happy when asked to move it - they then took it to furness vale ( strangely - the name of that boat was "NOT ANOTHER PROBLEM").  The area looks a mess at present and if it hadnt been for the work done in the car park for whaley water weekend I shudder to think how deep the potholes would have been by now.  I have asked BW several times when they are going to repair the towpath  and the last I heard was that they are going to start the work in February - but they havent said which year!!!  My thoughts on a "friends" group would ideally involve  volunteer boaters and residents - I dont approve of quangos - anything I spend my time on has to be productive I havent got time to waste.

JonG  
#10 Posted : 14 January 2012 13:54:12(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,
Whaley Bridge Town Council(WBTC) have for many years been trying to get a bridge built from the Tesco side of the river Goyt into the Bingswood Industrial Estate(BIE) in Whaley Bridge, in order to open that land up for development and job creation. In turn, once the existing HGV access route through the Canal Basin is removed, it becomes possible to access heritage grants and achieve our other goal of transforming the canal basin into an iconic heritage and community point around the Grade2* Transhipment Warehouse, Canal Basin, and historic Cromford and High Peak Railway Terminus.

There is much that can be done in an interim period to improve the canal basin area around the Transhipment warehouse, but of course it all has to be done with the active help and agreement of British Waterways, who are the owners of the building and the land, including the tarmaced road area in front of the Transhipment warehouse. However substantial heritage development in that area is very unlikely to be possible or practical while HGV's are still passing in front of it on a regular basis to access Bingswood Industrial Estate.

In 2010 we were within a whisker of achieving our primary goal of a Bridge, when, with all funding identified, the price of some land was increased from £300K to £1M. There was no time to respond to this new demand, and with deadlines on the existing funding expiring, the project consequently collapsed in June. This was a huge blow, all the more so because we had been so close to our goal. Subsequently, in Mar 2011, High Peak Borough Council decided to stop financial support for all the Regeneration partnerships which it had set up across the Borough, Whaley Bridge Regeneration Partnership amongst them.

The desire of WBTC, under my Chairmanship, to pursue alternative access into BIE and to transform the Canal Basin area remains unabated, and in July this year, 2011, WBTC set up the Bingswood Access and Canal Basin Regeneration Panel. The first meeting was in August. The new Group consists of Cllr Martin Thomas(Chair), Cllr Linda leather ( Vice Chair), Cllr Anne Winters(Secretary), Cllr John Swift, Cllr Rodney Gilmour and myself.

As many will know, British Waterways have been going through a transformation of structure towards charitable status, and in April 2012 will become the Canal and River Trust. The ongoing internal changes within BW have made communication, planning and decision making between BW and others difficult, but we now have some good contacts and hope that post April we can start to use those to get some positive improvements to the Canal Basin area happening.

The Bingswood Access and Canal Basin Regeneration Panel was set up to try and concentrate on the two major long term projects in the town. Whaley 4Wards, which is the other group set up last year, aims to concentrate on smaller more achievable short term regeneration projects around Whaley Bridge. There will inevitably be some overlap between the two around the Canal Basin. W4W has already carried out a ltterpick around the Canal Basin for example, and treework on the Coronation Rowans is being considered once BW are in agreement.

Whaley Bridge Town Council has never abandoned the Canal Basin or the desperately required access into Bingswood. There is work going on in the background, but certainly as far as major outcomes are concerned these things do not happen overnight, and a long process has to be followed wherby all the stakeholders have to buy in and agree, and then the funding has to be found. The original funding sources for a second bridge have gone, so that process has to be started anew.

The smaller things, like the repairs to the canal towpath, cleaning up of the TSW and area around it, and potential use of some of the land for car parking, I hope we can try to achieve beyond April this Year, once BW changes to the Canal and River Trust and things settle down.

Note that there is still £100K of S106 Tesco money available towards construction of a bridge. This is available until August 2015, beyond which it is lost. It cannot be used for anything else.

High Peak Borough Council changed their mind about funding of regeneration groups, and now provide some annual funding to WBTC based on the fact that we have set up BACBRP and W4W.

I hope this helps to explain what is going on.

This should not stop individuals from contacting BW directly about anything. Please continue to do this. Regarding a friends of the canal basin group, I am wary that if there are too many groups working seperately, that mixed messages may end up at BW leading to confusion and lack of progress. Equally, a friends group could prove extremely useful to call upon to help carry out simple work in the area, once agreement is reached with BW , and could influence BW in their approach by demonstrating the passion and interest that people in Whaley have about the Canal basin area. 

Cheers

Jon

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Jack  
#11 Posted : 14 January 2012 14:18:15(UTC)
Jack

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Barry Rudd wrote:

I myself have found the forum tedious at times. 

I agree with you Barry. I think the mods are to blame. If anyone makes a posts that is controversial debatable or does not match the views of the mods its edited or removed. Ferni recently put on a post regarding pubs in whaley. I didnt agree with the comments but thats fine because its Fernis opinion. I was going to reply later but didnt bother because  when I had time to reply Fernis original post had beed edited by the mods and was nothing like the original post. This forum should not be described as discussion forum as you are prevented from having any discussions by the mods. The History forum on the other side though is excellent and is the envy of many.

towpath tommy  
#12 Posted : 14 January 2012 17:57:05(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

HEllo everyone.. Hi JonG, Thanks for your response and the info contained - we boaters dont hear much about this, some of us are not on the internet when at the boat - but it seems like you have it all in hand so I will leave you all to get on with it!
JonG  
#13 Posted : 14 January 2012 19:02:17(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi Jack,

We have seen in the past how quickly the forum can degenerate. We have determined to try and stop this from happening again.

Users simply cannot say anything they want on these forums and expect it to remain. A line has to be drawn somewhere. Clearly, your line is lower than ours. There will be others whose lines are lower than the one you might draw yourself.

It is because of the various problems of the past that the rules have been hardened into those you see.

We try not to moderate if possible, and of the many posts on the forum, only a few have been moderated.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 14 January 2012 19:02:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com