logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gem  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2012 09:31:52(UTC)
gem

Groups: Member

does anyone have any info on this property,

I believe it was owned by samuel bibbington, he also owned the "perseverence quarry"

but that is all I have.

please can anyone help?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 17 March 2012 13:10:39(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

We shall have to risk incurring the wrath of Horwich Ender on this one Gem.

Horwich Ender does not take kindly to anyone straying from Whaley Bridge on this forum although later today I shall be putting a photo on of a place in Belgium so we shall have to wait to see how he takes that.

Anyway back to Bibbington Hall:

Long ago Dove Holes was famous for its lime and in a way I suppose it still is today.

There were two major independent producers of lime: Samuel Taylor and Samuel Bibbington but as Sam Taylor only had limited supplies and only two kilns he had to buy more lime in and it was supplied to him by Sam Bibbington who quickly became the biggest lime producer.
The Bibbington family did, as you say, own Perseverance Quarry from about 1847 but when the railway was extended from Whaley Bridge to Buxton (you see Horwich Ender I have managed to mention Whaley after all so we may just get away with this Gem) Sam Bibbington opened the Victory Quarry which you can see on your left hand side travelling from Dove to Buxton.

There was a set of sidings from the main line to load from Bibbington kilns and the huge spoil tip which was left was removed in the early 1970’s by DCC and dumped in the old Victory Quarry on the other side of the A6.
It was called Victory because nobody thought there would be any lime there and Sam named it Victory as he thought he did have a victory over his doubters.

Two lots of workers cottages were built, Lower Bibbington and Higher Bibbington, and Bibbington Hall was built in a court yard at Higher Bibbington but as the Victory Quarry raced towards Higher Bibbington Sam had the property carefully taken down and in 1906 had it rebuilt on its present site.

Higher Bibbington was at the top of Longridge Lane and Lower Bibbington was about 300yards or so up the A6 from Bibbington Hall itself just above the blue coloured pond on the opposite side of the road.
That pond is known as the Cup and Saucer if it is of any interest to you.

Both sets of cottages were demolished in the 1960’s

In the 1930’s Bibbington tip collapsed and blocked the A6 and almost demolished the Lower Bibbington Cottages. I think the Victory Quarry was closed in the 1950’s and I have been told that the tip once again collapsed and blocked the A6 in the 1950’s but I have no definite evidence to back that up.

Below is an old photo of Lower Bibbington and the farms which have all now disappeared and you can see how perilously close to Lower Bibbington the spoil tip actually was and the children playing on the deserted A6 didn’t realise just what danger they were in either.  

If you need anything else just contact me on here but I would advise against starting any new threads on Dove Holes but there is no reason why you shouldn’t use this one.

R. S-S

Edited by user 21 March 2012 13:46:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#3 Posted : 17 March 2012 13:16:39(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Photo from previous post

Norm attached the following image(s):
bibbington.jpg
RockBanker  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2012 00:06:04(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Some more details here about the cottages and their inhabitants here http://nabsend.co.uk/more_than_ch2.html
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
george  
#5 Posted : 18 March 2012 19:11:09(UTC)
george

Evening All

Well done R.S.S. and Rockbanker. There was a Co-operative Store in Dove Holes, can anyone tell me which society it belonged to?

george

shallcross  
#6 Posted : 18 March 2012 22:37:03(UTC)
shallcross

George

I think it was allied to Peak Dale which was Great Rocks Co-operative Society, there must have been some connection between Great Rocks and Whaley Bridge & Buxton as I have a nice photo of Dove Holes Co - op Gala day with a Whaley Horse & Wagon taking part.

Shallcross
george  
#7 Posted : 20 March 2012 18:35:38(UTC)
george

shallcross

Thank you your information I wondered if it was Great Rocks Co-op Soc. but it was only a guess and might have been wrong. I knew it wasn't W.B. & B society. In about 1957 I went as a delegate from W.B.and Buxton Society to a C.W.S. half yearly meeting at Belle View. There I met two men from Great Rocks Soc. before that I hadn't heard of it so thank you for solving my problem. I think societys co-operated with each other at times, I think such was the case with the Education Commities at Whaley Bridge and New Mills Co-op.

george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 21 March 2012 13:27:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon George,

The premises we both know in Dove Holes as the Co-Op which is situated on the left of the A6 travelling towards Buxton and opposite B and G Taxis was not the original Co-Op.
This ‘new’ building was opened in 1936.
Incidentally the upstairs served as the canteen for Dove Holes C of E School for school dinners during the day.

The original Co-op was in Paddock Cottages opposite the School Master’s House; so really opposite the cricket field.
The Dove Holes Co-operative Society started here in 1868.
Although the property still has the name stone Paddock Cottages it was really 71 and 73 Hallsteads and the Co-op even built an extension on the side (number 75).
The archway still exists where the carts used to back in to unload the corn for the upstairs corn store.
Nearly every family was a member of the society and lots of the kids had bank accounts at the Co-op Penny Bank. Not that many kids had any money in those days.

As Shallcross I have some fine old photos of the Co-op Galas in Dove Holes; all pre WW1.

I hope you are keeping well George.

R. S-S
george  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2012 18:45:18(UTC)
george

Hi R.S.S.

Thank you for the information, so the thread has another twist and more interesting information, I hadn't heard about the Dove Holes Co-op Soc.

I am recovering after I lost my battle with gravity almost three weeks ago, fortunately no bones were broken, thank you for asking. I hope you are keeping well now.

george

KMD  
#10 Posted : 22 April 2012 17:12:44(UTC)
KMD

Hi Gem

I lived at Bibbington Hall from 1955 until I married in 1969. My father continued to live there until around 1980.
If you would like any info about the hall during this period I would be happy to give it!