logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2012 17:29:47(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Hello everyone

Apologies for my lack of recent postings, but I wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to where "Mount Pleasant" was in Yeardsley-cum-Whaley on the 1871 census.  My g.g.grandparents, Joseph and Dinah Trueman were living there.  It appears to be somewhere between "Orchard Field" and "Whaley Lane".  If it's any help, "Orchard Field"  follows "Spring Bank" on the census.

Joseph and Dinah were living there with their children - Robert aged 25, Annetta 16, Mary 12, Sarah Jane 8, Joseph William 5.   Joseph and son Robert were "Stone Quarry Men" and Annetta was a "Cotton Weaver".

Annetta Trueman was my g.grandmother.

Gnats

G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 07 April 2012 22:45:28(UTC)
G. Jackson

No.8 Whaley Lane was always called Mount Pleasant when I was younger. I think!!!

Gnatalee  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2012 10:11:52(UTC)
Gnatalee

Thanks G.Jackson for your reply.

Perhaps no 8 has taken on the name of an area - in 1871 Mount Pleasant housed 13 families, and not small ones at that ! Have now checked the tithe maps on Cheshire Records Office and Orchard Field is just below Whaley Hall. I'm wondering if perhaps Mount Pleasant is the lower end of Whaley Lane, which would probably be more populated then.

Interesting !

Thanks again
Gnats
gritch  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2012 11:04:31(UTC)
gritch

Gnatalee wrote:
................in 1871 Mount Pleasant housed 13 families, and not small ones at that ! Have now checked the tithe maps on Cheshire Records Office and Orchard Field is just below Whaley Hall. I'm wondering if perhaps Mount Pleasant is the lower end of Whaley Lane, which would probably be more populated then.

Interesting !

Thanks again
Gnats

Just to let you know I checked the tithe maps last night and I reached the same conclusion as yourself. Pity there is no other mention of Mount Pleasant on google search to help with this.

Gnatalee  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2012 11:28:35(UTC)
Gnatalee

Thanks Gritch.

I find it interesting that streets/areas in the village have had their names changed in the space of 20/30 years. It took quite a while to find out where "Vaux Row" was, but with the help of this forum I found it was the little row of terraced cottages by the Navigation Pub which is now Johnson Street.

The tithe maps show just how much land the Jodrells owned in Whaley also !

Gnats
Ferni  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2012 13:55:49(UTC)
Ferni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
'Mount Pleasant' is written on the gate posts facing Whaley Lane, to the house which is next to( the church hall ) what was Nina Corey's playgroup. Mr & Mrs Smith used to live there till recently ( they who had the 'ugliest house in the world' [my opinion] built in their garden - which is where 2 cottages used to stand: photos of which still exist ) .

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.