logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
annescot  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2012 21:40:06(UTC)
annescot

Groups: Member

Reading through the weekend papers a few films caught my eye;

For future release - Dark Shadows -  new Tim Burton vampire movie starring Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Michelle Pfeiffer is released 11 May.

2 new releases -i) This Must be the Place - with Sean Penn as an ageing, lipsticked, Jewish, Goth rock star seeking the Nazi guard who mistreated his father  - the review said the premise was crazy but with music from David Byrne & Penn's Goth make up and dress style, it  looks worth a view & ii)  Le Havre a fable like drama about a shoeshine man who helps an immigrant boy on the run in Le Havre 

Last but by no means least as it has been on release for a while - The Kid with a Bike 

I'd be happy with any of these being screened by the Whaley Bridge film group in future, does anyone else have any ideas or preferences ?     

JonG  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2012 21:48:57(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

Iwasn't sure what Kid with a bike was about so found something on the web

"Kid With a Bike - A touching drama about a boy abandoned by his father and fostered by the local hairdresser, the Dardennes brothers' latest is a classic example of the Belgian film-makers skill in social realism, says Xan Brooks.

The Kid With A Bike won the grand jury prize at Cannes last year and stars Thomas Doret and Cécile De France.

The Dardenne brothers revive the memory of De Sica's 1948 classic Bicycle Thieves with their latest work – as well, of course, as the memory of their own previous films. Where De Sica's father and son wander all over town with their bicycle, which gets stolen, the Dardennes' son wanders all around looking for his dad, and for his bicycle, which gets stolen. And just as in De Sica's film, the situation is so chaotic it doesn't occur to anyone to lock the bike, or recommend locking it. This is a heartfelt, boldly direct film composed in the social-realist key signature of C major, revisiting the film-makers' classic themes of parenthood, trust and love. It gets a lot of storytelling accomplished in its brief running time, although the directors gloss over the realities of criminal assault. Newcomer Thomas Doret gives a very good performance as Cyril, a 10-year-old in care who is obsessed with the idea that his errant dad Guy (Jérémie Renier) is keeping his bike for him, and still wants to be with him. In fact, this irresponsible deadbeat just wants to be rid of the child. Obsessively, heartbreakingly, Cyril disregards all the evidence that his father doesn't love him. A kindly hairdresser called Samantha (Cécile de France) takes a miraculous shine to Cyril and agrees to take him for weekends, but the lack of a father figure means that Cyril falls for the insidious charm of a local drug-dealer."

I'd be torn between this one and the vampire one I think, given the choice.

Cheers

jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
annescot  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2012 08:11:31(UTC)
annescot

Thanks for the feedback Jon & the review, very helpful. We'll need to check when the films move from cinema to DVD release but this, and any other ideas, would help when putting together the screening list for  future seasons. 

I watched Coco before Chanel last night on DVD  - I know it's been out a while but for a Monday night movie it had charm and presented the designer's early life with a simplicity which matched  the couture that subsequently made her so famous - i'd say worth a watch, a 6/7 out of 10.  Annette 

deazy69  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2012 22:04:19(UTC)
deazy69

I haven't read about Dark Shadows but I will in a mo.

I've seen a few things lately and Kid With a Bike gets 9/10 from me, Le Havre 6.5/10 (although the people I saw it with were much more taken with it than I).

Saw a trailer for This Must be the Place and it looks a winner!