logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
slimassasin  
#1 Posted : 11 May 2012 17:39:41(UTC)
slimassasin

Groups: Member

Is it me or are they trying to turn the Memorial park into a nature reserve. I appreciate it has been wet but the grass hasn't been cut yet this year and a huge habitat pile has been created by the Buxton road entrance. With summer fast approaching (hopefully) it would be nice to see the park looking cared for.
Horwich Ender  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2012 19:53:59(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good evening slimassasin.

I agree with you when you say the Memorial Park is looking uncared for.

This is very surprising as there is £230,000 available to spend on improving the park and a further £250,000 available for purposes not yet disclosed.

I will ask the question again. Does anyone know what has happened to the £478,000 received from the Heritage Lottery grant?

Even Chairman Jon the Whaley One goes surprisingly quiet when this question is raised.

JonG  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2012 22:05:17(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

This is because I dont really know. I know what the plans were for the park, but whether they have changed or not, and how the money is being spent  I'm afraid i dont know.  The work on the memorial is under way and I have learnt that the current play area of the park will be being worked on later this year, unfortunately over the November period, which means it wouldn't be available for the fireworks, even if someone wished to put them on there..  As for the rest of it, I have no idea what is going on or when it is going to happen. I think it is around £600,000 in total for the park, of which around £240,000 is capital spend. £478K from the lottery and the rest from HPBC I believe as match funding of a sort.

I am told that completion of the skatepark and bmx track(nothing to do with the HLF bid) is awaiting a couple of weeks of dry weather.

The muddy patch in front of the Pavillion, which is outstanding from the MUGA resurfacing project, will be regraded ,rotovated and seeded next week.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Fedup  
#4 Posted : 21 May 2012 21:11:57(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I, and many other frequent users of the Park, consider our once lovely little Park to be an absolute eyesore at the moment.

Trees have been removed and bushes hacked at. There is debris all over the paths, i.e. twigs, branches and soil. Piles of branches stacked up everywhere.

Personally, I don't care when the children's play area is going to be done. I would just like the areas that are not for the children (few as they may be) to be tidied up. In fact, I wish nothing had been done to the Park in the first place.

As for Slimasassin wondering whether it is being turned into a nature reserve - no, it's far too messy for that. To see a proper nature reserve, try Mousley Bottom in New Mills. That's a nature reserve. Cared for carefully by people who know what they are doing.

I wish they would come and take over the running of our park.

Edited by user 21 May 2012 21:13:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Flannel  
#5 Posted : 02 November 2012 16:24:58(UTC)
Flannel

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Its November now, so we should see work start sometime soon. Has anybody seen any sign of progress or heard news of the start of the playground works? I was expecting the war memorial to be finished off by remembrance day, which is not too far off, but it's still partly boarded and fenced off.
Wanderer returns  
#6 Posted : 02 November 2012 17:31:29(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
The memorial will not be finished as the publicity says the Jodrell car park will be the venue again. I venture to the park on a very ad hoc basis but I could not believe what I was seeing when I went there this week - it's an absolute disgrace and someone should be taken to task about it. I know the weather has been dreadful but it could still have been tidied even if the grass could not be cut - most people seem to have been able to keep on top of their gardens.

Jean  
#7 Posted : 03 November 2012 18:32:47(UTC)
Jean

Even though there is a small fence around the War Memorial in the Memorial Park, a few of us will still be gathering there on Remembrance Sunday, 11 November, just before 11.00am, to pay our respects and observe 2 minutes silence as per usual.

The official Royal British Legion Service will be taking place in the Uniting Church at 10.45am on that day.

Ashley K  
#8 Posted : 28 November 2012 23:17:08(UTC)
Ashley K

I'm quite interested in knowing when our playground is going to be developed, both as the father of a 2 year old and as the brother of one of Trafford council's landscape architects who told me that the budget is around 10 times larger than he would typically have to spend on a playground / park of this size. I've been expecting something mindblowing, but am concerned that there has been no progress. Who is sat on all this money?
BarryRudd  
#9 Posted : 29 November 2012 10:07:28(UTC)
BarryRudd

Hi Ashley

http://www.highpeak.gov.uk/hp/park/memorial-park-whaley-bridge

Will give you some information-as you will see this is a HPBC project and the manager's contact details are shown.

Paul Evans the park ranger should also be able to give you the latest news - he can be found around the park or contactable via that link or the Memorial Park Face Book page.

Cheers

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
Ashley K  
#10 Posted : 29 November 2012 11:05:10(UTC)
Ashley K

Thanks for the info Barry, I'll make contact and find out the latest news. Fingers crossed they'll start building soon, it would be nice to see more children using the playground.
Ashley K  
#11 Posted : 29 November 2012 16:40:22(UTC)
Ashley K

Just checked and there was a Friends of the park meeting *last night*. Great timing! I'll go along to the next one.
Fedup  
#12 Posted : 01 December 2012 19:43:39(UTC)
Fedup

I think you wil find that the next meeting will be more widely advertised, and yes, please come along. The invitation extends to anyone who is interested in our lovely park. The next meeting has been arranged for 5th February 2013 at 7 pm in the White Horse, but do keep a look out for the posters in case this date is changed for some reason.

Edited by user 01 December 2012 19:44:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jack  
#13 Posted : 23 February 2013 13:42:12(UTC)
Jack

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Has the cash turned up yet
sinope  
#14 Posted : 24 February 2013 19:39:32(UTC)
sinope

Originally Posted by: slimassasin Go to Quoted Post
Is it me or are they trying to turn the Memorial park into a nature reserve. I appreciate it has been wet but the grass hasn't been cut yet this year and a huge habitat pile has been created by the Buxton road entrance. With summer fast approaching (hopefully) it would be nice to see the park looking cared for.

You should head along to Manchester, they've got a park for people like you. All pristine and neat. Take a look here... http://savealexandraparkstrees.wordpress.com/
Horwich Ender  
#15 Posted : 17 May 2013 18:51:46(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good evening.

It was back in October 2010 when we were informed Whaley Bridge Memorial Park had been awarded Heritage Lottery funding.

http://www.hlf.org.uk/news/Pages/AutumnbringsLotterywindfallforWhaleyBridge.aspx#.UZT59Eogv98

More than 30 months later and we still don't know what's happened to the £478,000.

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/progress-of-park-refurbishment-is-questioned-1-5672782

Chairman Jon The Whaley One is still doing his best but I would have thought our elected High Peak Borough Councillors, who I think are Cllr Linda Leather, Cllr David Lomax and Cllr John Pritchard are the people who should be demanding answers.

The response from our newly elected Derbyshire County Councillor of “I think it is very sad that we have not been told what is going on” is very surprising.

My guess is it won't be long before THE CROW is posting a copy of Whaley Bridge County Division Focus through Cllr Lomax's door with a big red X on it.

Fedup  
#16 Posted : 18 May 2013 19:55:39(UTC)
Fedup

There is a meeting of the Friends of Memorial Park on Wednesday 22nd May at 7.00 pm in the White Horse. I believe the meeting is to be attended by Christine Latham from High Peak BC, and she may be able to throw some light on the subject. Anyone is welcome to come along. Can I say at this point that we (Friends of Memorial Park) are as much in the dark as everybody else.  A veritable wall of silence! 

Edited by user 18 May 2013 19:59:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UnrealCity  
#17 Posted : 18 May 2013 22:40:56(UTC)
UnrealCity

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Whaley Bridge Town Council has made frequent enquiries as to the state of the project, but no public statement has been made by HPBC since August 2012.  I raised a question on this at the last Parish Council liaison forum, but no answer has been received. I was informed last Thursday that one will be forthcoming shortly. I note that on the agenda of the Community Select Committee of HPBC held on 22nd April the matter of "Whaley Bridge Memorial Park Capital Works Programme" was discussed in Part 2 (with press and public excluded). The implication of this is that the matter concerns the negotiation of a commercial contract. I have today be informed that the matter is on the agenda for the Executive Committee of HPBC on 6th June, again in Part 2. Watch this space ....
Cllr Martin Thomas
Chair Whaley Bridge Town Council
Member for Yeardsley Ward
THE CROW  
#18 Posted : 19 May 2013 06:33:05(UTC)
THE CROW

Yes H.E. I certainly will be doing that,do we ever see anything get done that these people say there going to do,have a think anything at all.
pensionman  
#19 Posted : 20 June 2013 08:55:43(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
The commencement of the £478,000 spend on the park is welcome news. Does anyone know why a new bridge is needed, as I suspect this will take a good slice of the money that could be applied to a more creative use? Like the saying goes, if it ain't broke why fix it?
JonG  
#20 Posted : 20 June 2013 12:12:55(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi,
I'm also glad the work appears to be getting under way after nearly 3 years since the funding was approved by the Heritage Lottery fund, and around 7 years since they started applying for the funding. The park has suffered in the meantime.

However, work is starting with the removal of the existing childrens play equipment right at the start of the Summer Holidays, and there is no date given as to when installation of the new equipment will take place. I have asked HPBC when exactly the new stuff will be installed, but have not yet had a reply. I am sincerely hoping that the play equipment doesn't get removed at the start of the summer holidays, with nothing happening for months thereafter.
It does appear that the play area may be out of action over summer.

Regarding the bridge, this was surveyed and I believe found to be towards the end of its life and in need of replacement. I suspect that it may have been possible to renovate it just to delay the inevitable, but I believe the new bridge is going to be wider and more disabled friendly. I think the new bridge may already have been purchased.

The press release below from HPBC was received yesterday.
Cheers Jon.

Media Release

19 June 2013                                                                                               13-047
Work set to start at Whaley park
Work is set to start next week on preparing the Memorial Park in Whaley Bridge for a major restoration and improvement project.

Funding of £478,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Big Lottery Fund was awarded to the park for a programme of work to restore its original layout and landscaping works to preserve the natural environment.

High Peak Borough Council will begin dismantling and removing the existing play equipment at the park in readiness for the main restoration and improvement works.

Councillor Godrey Claff, executive member for regeneration, said: “This is an important milestone for this exciting project as we prepare the park for the main works which are due to start soon.

“We do, of course, recognise that the park is well loved and used by local people and will endeavour to minimise disruption as we remove the old play equipment.”

The park was created in 1920 to commemorate the loss of 108 men in the First World War. It provides a pleasant link between residential properties and the town’s shops and schools.

Plans for the park include restoring the war memorial, improving the entrances, installing a new bridge and play equipment and maintaining woodland and wildlife habitat including new planting to reflect original features.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com