logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 22 May 2012 19:18:19(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

I have been asked if I know what became of the Whaley Bridge stocks. I am told that these used to be in the vicinity of Start Lane. 

I must admit that I didn't know that Whaley ever had stocks. I suppose the existance of a large house and former hotel called "The Stocks" should have struck a chord !

I wonder if anybody can enlighten me?

Whaley Ash  
#2 Posted : 22 May 2012 21:34:49(UTC)
Whaley Ash

Man

Still there, just over the field wall opposite the house called 'The Stocks'. One of the stone supports is broken off (it clearly happened a long time ago). I've often wondered where they were originally located (presumably in the centre of the village somewhere) and why on earth someone would decide to relocate them to a field where no-one ever sees them!

Edited by user 22 May 2012 21:35:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2012 08:37:27(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Thanks Whaley Ash.  I'll take a look next time I'm on Start Lane.

G. Jackson  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2012 09:14:08(UTC)
G. Jackson

David,

This subject has been discussed on the forum before, in fact you have contributed some posts. Try the search facility    STOCKS

G.J.

parabuild  
#5 Posted : 23 May 2012 16:30:09(UTC)
parabuild

Man

says a lot for my memory doesn't it G.J. ?

JonG  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2012 20:09:08(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

I tried the search that GJ suggested, but it doesn't refer to the stocks we are talking about.

I went up and had a look at the Whaley Bridge village stocks, and it is very interesting.I had no idea where they were before so many thanks to Parabuild and Whaley ash.

First, I show a picture of the Chapel-en-le_Frith stocks which I went to afterwards to compare. These are believed to date from Civil war times (1642-1651). The wooden part of the stocks has been changed since the 1940's , when an internet picture shows a different older wooden construction, but it illustrates clearly the way the wood slots into the stone.I found a document which is attached which indicates the date 1636 appeared to be inscribed on one of the stones. 

Next I show three pictures of the two stones which are without doubt the Whaley Bridge village stocks, as the shape of the stones, and the slot is identical to the Chapel construction. The last picture of the stones shows the initials P.H and the date 1737 carved into the stone. The file attachment shows the smaller stone which has obviously been broken in the past, but which clearly has the slot in it, and is the pair of the other.

I then wondered how long they have been in the position they are in now. I had a look at an old map of 1872 and two stones are clearly shown on there in exactly the right place, which indicates they havn't moved for over 140 years.(The stones are indicated as two dots at the end of the word 'Stones' just under the word Hadfield in the centre of the last picture)

Very interesting. I wonder who P.H might have been, and I wonder why the stocks were not in the centre of the village, unless they were moved from there before 1872. I wonder also if there are any 'court' records around of the time which might show these stocks being used and which might cast more light on the history of them.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 23 May 2012 23:10:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
whaley_stocks3.jpg (303kb) downloaded 36 time(s).
chapel.doc (1,498kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
JonG attached the following image(s):
chapel_stocks.jpg
whaley_stocks.jpg
whaley-stocks1.jpg
whaley-stocks2.jpg
oldmap.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com