logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Norm  
#21 Posted : 10 July 2012 17:16:17(UTC)
Norm

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Barry

I have emailed you via W3 regarding comments on this thread.

Norm

BarryRudd  
#22 Posted : 10 July 2012 22:54:04(UTC)
BarryRudd

We hope so as well Neil!

and I have replied to Norm who I thank for his input

Cheers

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
Gnatalee  
#23 Posted : 10 July 2012 23:41:47(UTC)
Gnatalee

Firstly, I would like to wish R.S-S a speedy recovery and hope to see his interesting posts back on this forum very soon.

Regarding the 2,000 pictures for which "the right of use has been purchased" - does this mean you have the pictures and can duplicate or publish as you wish?

The great thing about the local history forum is that every photograph posted stimulates discussion, stories are shared, points of view aired etc. Not wishing to be negative (pardon the pun) but if all the photos from this collection were put on this forum I think people would get fed up of wading through them and would therefore not contribute as they have in the past. I find it is the "conversation" regarding the photos which make the forum work. The great work which Norm has put into the Local History Website and photo album has come about by people contributing and exchanging their info, putting names to faces etc.

I am an "out of towner" and my opinion is not relevant, but as a contributor to the forum my view is that if these pictures are to be used then it should be done very slowly - in which case it could take many many years to complete !

Gnats
BarryRudd  
#24 Posted : 11 July 2012 00:48:09(UTC)
BarryRudd

Yes Gnatalee

"out of towner" if only you knew how many of us are responsible for keeping Whaley alive and passionate about it :-)

I think your view is in keeping with the rest of the history forum contributors and I will make a strong representation to the rest of the trust that the Status Quo is maintained and see no reason why it should change.

I also believe that collections of art should not be locked away in climate controlled vaults but be made available to the masses which is why we have galleries and thankfully bequeathers.  So hopefully we can allow a greater audience  the chance to see these images  without upsetting the flow of the forum.  We must also consider that having 8000 or so residents and yet more interested non residents that forum users are in fact a minority group.

Cheers

Edited by user 11 July 2012 01:38:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snoopy  
#25 Posted : 11 July 2012 08:01:37(UTC)
snoopy

Thanks Barry, all sounds a bit better now. I understand what you mean about making things available to the masses, and I agree, how it is actually done I think is the question here.

Yes, the forum is obviously a minority, but minorities get things done, take the W3 committe as an example. I also believe the minority have worked hard on these photographs for many years now in showing them to the people of Whaley in a constructive manor via the History Website, created by another "out of towner". So I surpose these workers may feel a tad annoyed when other people come in and with a wad of money purchase these photographs and MAY have plans to in effect destroy there own work. Note I say MAY and although it would not destroy what has been done it certainly casts a cloud over this site. 

People such as R.S-S, Shallcross and Norm (sorry if I miss out others, not on purpose) are a very small minority but they have worked hard, with NO money, to make these photographs available. I doubt if the Trust will dig in their pockets to pay them for what they have done for the community for many years, or even thank them. They have created a website for ALL the people of Whaley to see, not just members of this forum.

I hope people understand what I am trying to say.

S

Norm  
#26 Posted : 11 July 2012 22:31:07(UTC)
Norm

Man

Thank you Snoopy, I see your point.

I will have a long think about what you say.

Norm

Jenny Megson  
#27 Posted : 12 July 2012 15:08:43(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Thanks Barry et al. really aooreciate the information.

Seems that this isn't as straitforward as it first appeared.  Personally I'd like to see these available in physical form somewhee, maybe Footsteps, maybe shared around the town as a travelling exebition, a few photos at a time in different premises and swapping them around every few weeks/months.  I suppose it's up to the Community Trust though.  How do you influence/lobby them?

curtaintwitcher  
#28 Posted : 12 July 2012 20:26:33(UTC)
curtaintwitcher

Maybe could follow what New Mills did several years ago link here!

http://www.picturenewmills.org.uk/
snoopy  
#29 Posted : 13 July 2012 07:18:40(UTC)
snoopy

curtaintwitcher wrote:
Maybe could follow what New Mills did several years ago

Possibly a good idea. Are you going to organise it?

Edited by user 13 July 2012 07:20:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#30 Posted : 13 July 2012 09:48:44(UTC)
G. Jackson

The New Mills website is full of brilliant photos and very well organised. This will take a lot of someone's time to do for WB .If someone would do this it would be wonderful and could even bring in funds from the sale of copies of photographs like the New Mills site does.

moogie  
#31 Posted : 19 July 2012 10:21:47(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

so is there anywhere these photos can be veiwed currently?

george  
#32 Posted : 21 July 2012 16:55:23(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I agree if the photos come to be put on the forum a few at a time is the best way.

I too want to add my best wishes to RSS for a speedy recovery he has made such a valuble contribution to this forum.

george.

Norm  
#33 Posted : 21 July 2012 21:39:44(UTC)
Norm

Man

G. Jackson wrote:

The New Mills website is full of brilliant photos and very well organised. This will take a lot of someone's time to do for WB .If someone would do this it would be wonderful and could even bring in funds from the sale of copies of photographs like the New Mills site does.

Who would do that and why? The photos on this site are free to copy and who would get the "funds"?

moogie wrote:

so is there anywhere these photos can be veiwed currently?

R.S-S's house, sorry that's a bit, only a bit, of a joke.

george wrote:

I agree if the photos come to be put on the forum a few at a time is the best way.

That is exactly what has been done for the last few years.

As I have said in previous posts. From what I have been told these photos have been for sale in Whaley for years and anyone with a passion for history owns copies. There is nothing new in this collection, the past has gone, obviously, and all known photos have been well distributed. There may, of course, be one or two new ones found now and again in someone's album, but the main collectors round here have probably got most of the available photos.

I sincerely hope I am wrong about this, because it would be lovely to see "new" old photos but I feel the worse.

Norm 

snoopy  
#34 Posted : 23 July 2012 07:33:11(UTC)
snoopy

This has gone a bit quiet, two weeks since Barry's "have some answers soon".

Other posts about who this Trust are are quiet as well. Is it possible we can get some sort of timeline on this so we have an idea what to expect?

Digger  
#35 Posted : 23 July 2012 09:11:03(UTC)
Digger

snoopy wrote:

This has gone a bit quiet, two weeks since Barry's "have some answers soon".

I agree. I am beginning to wonder if we, on this forum, will ever see this collection of photographs.

Barry has given the impression that as a trust member he has the authority to arrange the sharing of the said collection, but in reality, does not, and more to the point, has not not pursued the issue and given us any answers.

Perhaps he should have ascertained the facts before starting the thread and building everone's hopes up?

Maybe we should not concern ourselves with this collection and leave the historical threads to those on this forum who have served us well so far, and hopefully, will continue to do so for some time yet.

BarryRudd  
#36 Posted : 23 July 2012 19:40:32(UTC)
BarryRudd

Hi all

Only in the past few weeks have we found out just what the trust has purchased.  I intend to just stick to the facts as I know them and I am sure the subject will be discussed at the next meeting in September.

The collection has been purchased and is in digital format.  It will be for the trust as a whole to decide how they will be made available.  It now seems that others in the community also have these images but as yet they are not available for viewing by the public in an archive.

I have my own personal opinion as to what should happen to them and I am sure that as in any democracy others will have theirs.

What I am not in a position to do yet Digger is say come round to mine and have a look at them.  I will as promised keep the forum informed as and when we have news.  The thread was started as stated in response to questions asked.  I myself have been surprised to learn that R.S-S amongst others already have them and can anyone tell us  if in fact  these were all shown at the recent Mechanics presentation.

Cheers for now

Barry

snoopy  
#37 Posted : 24 July 2012 07:39:22(UTC)
snoopy

Thanks Barry. This is a bit like "don't shoot the messenger", you come on here as the only one from the trust and get earache.

I don't know what's in the collection and I didn't go to the Mechanics presentation, so I am no use there on both counts. There may be someone out there who knows. I would love to see the collection, even just a browse of them at Footsteps would be nice. Something like that may be preferable than just dropping the whole lot on the internet, but after saying that to be honest I am not sure which is the way to go. I presume, as you say, the trust will decide in September.

Digger  
#38 Posted : 24 July 2012 09:29:08(UTC)
Digger

BarryRudd wrote:

Hi all

Only in the past few weeks have we found out just what the trust has purchased.  I intend to just stick to the facts as I know them and I am sure the subject will be discussed at the next meeting in September.

Cheers for now

Barry

Hello Barry,

Forgive me for being cynical, I am sure you are trying to help, but there does not seem to be any hard facts.

You are saying "I am sure the subject will be discussed at the next meeting".

Is this speculation or does the trust have it on their itinerary to discuss this when they meet?

BarryRudd  
#39 Posted : 24 July 2012 13:28:07(UTC)
BarryRudd

Hi all

For those who are unfamiliar with meetings:

The Chair sets the agenda

One item on the agenda will be AOB-any other business.

It is inconceivable due to interest shown that this matter will not be discussed.

If this were a Water Weekend (W3) matter then I would be in a position as organiser to answer all your questions immediately and without delay.

What more can I say (for now)!

Cheers

snoopy  
#40 Posted : 19 September 2012 07:48:19(UTC)
snoopy

We are well into September now.

When's the meeting Barry, Eh Eh ? (Jumping up and down)