logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BarryRudd  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2012 19:21:37(UTC)
BarryRudd

Groups: Member

Good evening all

Local history is not my forte and I am posting as a trustee of Footsteps-(The Whaley Bridge Community Trust) in response not only to Jenny and Rockbanker but to the people that have asked me about the collection since the recent slide show at the Mechanics Institute.

The trust has purchased the right of use to approximately 2000 images scanned from plates and negatives (the Alan Shaw collection). 

I can understand that many on this forum will be eager to see them and we will discuss how this can happen.  Any work will be undertaken by volunteers and I should imagine this will be quite a task.

Some of you undoubtably will have a greater knowledge of this collection than myself and I invite you to contribute to this thread.

Cheers

Edited by user 03 July 2012 21:10:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
Norm  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2012 18:16:49(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi

I have just had a telephone conversation with R.S-S regarding this, life and everything. I am sorry to say that he is not particularly well at the moment, nothing life threatening but enough to make him require peace, quiet and rest. So in the near future I don't think we will hear too much from him.

One thing he did mention was this collection. He knows that he must have about 90 odd percent of it, if not even more. He is just a bit concerned that if they were just put on without any related information that things may be lost. He thinks, and obviously it is only his own opinion, that photos should be put on slowly, giving people time to see them, think about what they are and adding to the story etc. Now this is only the second post in this thread so other people may have other ideas, that is what a forum is all about after all.  

Anyway just something to think about.

Norm

BarryRudd  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2012 21:27:45(UTC)
BarryRudd

Thanks for your observations Norm

I am sorry that R.S-S is suddenly unable to comment and thank you for doing so on his behalf.  He is I should imagine the forum member with the greatest knowledge of this collection and we will look forward to his input when he is feeling better.

Whatever the Community Trust decides to do will be in the best interests of the community we serve which was the reason for purchase.

Over the carnival weekend I was lucky enough to see another collection of Alan Shaw photos and it would be interesting- to avoid duplication, in light of R. S-S's revelation-to know just how many others have copies or the "rights" to these images before we make the Trusts available to what might be a saturated market.

Cheers, and keep your ideas coming everyone

Barry

PS-as we do not have a PM facility -feel free to ring me if you have any queries.

Edited by user 04 July 2012 06:20:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#4 Posted : 06 July 2012 17:19:07(UTC)
Norm

Man

Barry

Just out of interest, I have read your first post a few times and I am not clear what requires doing. You said the images are scanned from plates and negatives. Are they then already in a digital format or has the trust purchased the right to scan them, which is obviously quite a task.

Norm

BarryRudd  
#5 Posted : 06 July 2012 21:18:29(UTC)
BarryRudd

Good evening Norm

The originals have been scanned by the trust and are now in our possession in digital format.  We will discuss at the earliest opportunity precisely what to do with them. 

It seems that most of these are already in the hands of private individuals but not readily available for viewing by the public.

I should imagine that this situation will change soon

Cheers

Barry

Norm  
#6 Posted : 07 July 2012 17:54:48(UTC)
Norm

Man

So if they are in digital format most of the "hard" work has been done I reckon.

So I presume the idea is to put them on the web, any ideas how this is going to be achieved?

Norm

Norm  
#7 Posted : 08 July 2012 14:09:09(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

I have not been in touch with R.S-S since I knew he was ill, I will let him contact me if he wishes, so what I mention now is because I have known him for years and what he has said in the past. Now I don't know exactly what is in all these different collections, so I can only go by what I have been told. He did tell me a bit ago that most of photographs he and Shallcross have put on this site have been readily available for purchase in Whaley in the last forty years or so, or at least copies of them. So I suppose the collection is already quite well known to the type of person that likes/collects old photos, and is available to that type of person.

R.S-S  told me a year or so ago, and I believe he put this on this forum, that he does not wish his photographs to be hidden in a cupboard and his wish is to put them all on this forum for all to enjoy in the fullness of time. But I do believe him when he just said to me last week that he feels to blanket the web, or even this site, will be the end of this forum. He prefers to do it in a controlled manor. I know this gives the impression he likes to control it and to a certain extent that is true, but only because he feels deeply in history and thinks that is the best way to do it. That is what he has done in the last five or six years and his idea was to continue in that manor. I must admit I thought it was working quiet nicely, it created discussion etc from other people.

It would be nice to get an impression what the people of Whaley think about this, I am a bit amazed about lack of response, especially if you dissagree with what I am saying, after all I don't even live in Whaley.  So why bother I hear you say.

Norm 

Edited by user 08 July 2012 14:19:21(UTC)  | Reason: typos and a bit more :)

G. Jackson  
#8 Posted : 08 July 2012 14:40:50(UTC)
G. Jackson

I thought R.S-S lived in an ivory tower but now realise he lives in a manor. In wish him a speedy recovery whatever is wrong with him. In the meantime I believe if 2000 photographs were to be put onto the forum it would swamp the forum and people wouldn't talk about them as they would if they were loaded individually. Is that the sort of reply you required Norman???

G.J.

Norm  
#9 Posted : 08 July 2012 15:26:33(UTC)
Norm

Man

G. Jackson wrote:

Is that the sort of reply you required Norman???

G.J.

Well, actually no. Although I agree with you and you showing support, if I was a betting chap I could have sort of predicted that. So thank you for the post  and it is support for R.S-S so cannot be ignored. Probably we cannot stop these 2000 pics going on the web, but maybe not on this forum. That way members of this forum can pick them, add them here and discuss. So not swamping this forum and giving R.S-S sort of what he wanted. Thanks for the reply though Glenda, much appreciated, even after what I said.

Norm 

Digger  
#10 Posted : 08 July 2012 20:22:46(UTC)
Digger

Hi Norm,

I enjoy the threads put on by R.S.S., and the other contributors, they are very interesting.

I hope R.S.S. makes a speedy recovery, and I agree with what he says about putting too many pictures on the forum at once. Imagine 2,000 pictures suddenly appearing on here? It would be overwhelming and very few would have the patience to look at them and their importance and historical aspect would be lost.

R.S.S. is right, a few at a time is a better way of showing them. People will have time to study them and comment about them before moving on to a new batch.

Digger.

Horwich Ender  
#11 Posted : 08 July 2012 20:52:03(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening Well Known Norm.

So sorry to hear about the condition of R. S-S. Lets hope he gets better sooner rather than later. This forum won't be the same without his contributions.

With reference to posting pictures on the forum I totally agree with R. S-S and Digger's comments.

snoopy  
#12 Posted : 09 July 2012 07:39:16(UTC)
snoopy

Norm wrote:

Probably we cannot stop these 2000 pics going on the web, but maybe not on this forum. That way members of this forum can pick them, add them here and discuss. So not swamping this forum and giving R.S-S sort of what he wanted. 

Why have they got to go on the web? Were they purchased exactly for that purpose? Now I may be wrong here because I am a busy person and admit now I should do more for the local community and show more interest but there are only so many hours in my day and I do have a family and ageing relatives etc etc. In other words this is the first time I knew of this purchase, if it has been mentioned here or elsewhere before I am sorry for not paying attention. Given the fact that so many people "own" this collection why were they bought again and how much? How many collections are they? Also if we have local "experts" here were they consulted? I am having trouble getting my head round all the facts.

If all the above has been answered before then I apologise. If they have can someone point me in the right direction for the answers. 

Norm  
#13 Posted : 09 July 2012 21:07:47(UTC)
Norm

Man

I have to admit snoopy I have as many questions than answers. Obviously I am not party to all this. I have enough trouble trying to find out what requires to be done, if anything.

When I read the first post I was a bit excited of the prospect of being involved with a project of doing something to help with the photos. Now it seems it is a minefield, so I will bow out graciously, or at least bow out I don't do graciously. All a bit too much really, and not something I want to be involved in considering my connections with members on this forum.

Norm 

BarryRudd  
#14 Posted : 09 July 2012 21:57:14(UTC)
BarryRudd

Hi all

Please understand that I posted as probably the only trustee that is a member of the forum in response to questions here and elsewhere and that the future of these images is in the hands of the trust as a whole.

I think that it is highly unlikely that the photos will be published here but it is surely in the public interest that they are made available somehow.

If those that control the history forum wish to continue at the pace they do then I see no reason why anybody would want to upset that - but control is a word that has no place on a forum unless some consider themselves to be more equal.

Snoopy and anyone else, you are more than welcome to telephone me if you have any questions.

Cheers

Edited by user 09 July 2012 22:23:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#15 Posted : 09 July 2012 22:36:53(UTC)
Norm

Man

Thank you for replying as the only trustee who is probably on this forum. 

I must take to task the statement about "those that control the forum" nobody controls the forum. If some people wish to decide when they want to post, and what they post, that is their right and nobody can say otherwise. I knew when I used the word control it would turn out like this, I did explain the reason so a full discussion could take place.

Is it possible to answer some of Snoopy's questions here, so we all know the answer? I cannot see what is wrong with us all knowing, so everything is equal so to speak, rather than individual phone calls.

Norm

BarryRudd  
#16 Posted : 09 July 2012 22:53:08(UTC)
BarryRudd

Hi Norm

It should be quite obvious that I as one of a trust have taken it upon myself to try and give some information to the forum  even though I frankly do not give two hoots (well perhaps one :-)) about the past and prefer to devote my efforts to the present and future of Whaley.

I have my own personal views about the motives of some members, their very sudden change of circumstances and Mason like, Pythonesque protective behaviour but that is for garden party discussion (the topic of choice this summer incidently-Whaley is a very, very small place) and personal phone calls.

I think that Snoopy has some VERY good questions - but I am not the Trusts press officer.  I think that debate has been started and it will continue, hopefully with some answers soon.

Anyway we are all out and about and we all know who we are don't we? so lets talk :-

Cheers

Edited by user 09 July 2012 23:55:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Digger  
#17 Posted : 09 July 2012 23:50:16(UTC)
Digger

BarryRudd wrote:

Hi Norm

It should be quite obvious that I as one of a trust have taken it upon myself to try and give some information to the forum  even though I frankly do not give two hoots (well perhaps one :-)) about the past and prefer to devote my efforts to the present and future of Whaley.

I have my own personal views about the motives of some members, their very sudden change in state of health and Mason like, Pythonesque protective behaviour but that is for garden party discussion (the topic of choice this summer incidently-Whaley is a very, very small place) and personal phone calls.

I think that Snoopy has some VERY good questions - but I am not the Trusts press officer.  I think that debate has been started and it will continue, hopefully with some answers soon.

Anyway we are all out and about and we all know who we are don't we, so lets talk :-)

Cheers

Your reply to the questions asked is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

First of all you start a thread that leads people into thinking you have access and the authority to to a large selection of historical photographs and now berate them for wanting to know more.

If you have no interest in the past then why put a thread on that indicates you are? If you do not have the authority to share these pictures or assist in sharing them on the forum then put the case to the Offical Press Officer and let us have his/her opinion whether or not the pictures will be made avaiable.

I can understand the views of some of the forum members. They may have large collections of historical photographs and cross referenceing them with the ones you imply are avaiable would be a mammoth task.

If you cannot promote the history of Whaley Bridge, or are not interested in it, then leave it to those are passionate about it and put in a sterling effort to promote the toen and its history.

BarryRudd  
#18 Posted : 10 July 2012 00:17:01(UTC)
BarryRudd

Hi Digger and all

The clue is in my initial post " local history is not my forte".  Members have become aware of the purchase of a photo collection and were asking for a comment.  I seem to be the only one with a connection to the trust that is able to give any comment at present. 

It is interesting to read back through the posts and see the reaction (I wonder what an outsider would think).

I would add that the Community trust is not answerable to this forum and is an independant body.

I think that in confirming the purchase, confirming that the pictures will be made available to the public and stating that we have no interest in undermining those that control the history section of this forum I have done my bit.

Cheers

snoopy  
#19 Posted : 10 July 2012 07:41:11(UTC)
snoopy

BarryRudd wrote:

OK everyone, let's settledown, chill out and wait.

Neil A Shaw  
#20 Posted : 10 July 2012 16:30:05(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Avoiding the tension and reading between the lines, these photos had better be good.