logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pensionman  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2012 18:01:32(UTC)
pensionman

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Hi, could someone tell me if the above public footbath at the above point gives public access/right of way through to Whaley Hall & then right down to Toddbrook Reser? The path runs parallel to a large detached house with a greenhouse in the front with large Leylandi acting as its fence with about  a 10 metre gap which the path sits on. I tried to walk through (have done for 14 years) but someone has extended barbed wire across preventing access. The alternative is to cut into a field to the right where there are cows & (last year) a bull. I've been chased by the latter twice & avoid going through the field, plus it gets very boggy & uncompatible with my heels. There is a statutory 'public footpath' sign denoting it as such, however, the barbed wire makes access difficult & wondered if this was legal. There is also a fierce brown sheep dog that roams around there as well to add to the fun. Any guidance appreciated.

Edited by user 16 July 2012 18:02:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jonny Summers  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2012 18:30:39(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I too would like clarification on this, and would also like to know who owns that dog? I was with someone recently who had been bitten by it just as they crossed Whaley Lane onto the path, and I'm always very cautious when walking there as it "always" seems to be running lose!!!
I have been told that the official footpath does cross diagonally through "White Gate Field", then down the muddy, overgrown, waterlogged slope onto Reservoir Road: if this is true, is anyone actually responsible for the upkeep of this path?
Wanderer returns  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2012 18:38:15(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
The will be the same dog which has roamed the streets of Whaley looking for female dogs which are in season. I know of one dog which is now expecting puppies as a result - they were "unplanned".
Green_Gentleman  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2012 20:40:15(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

Nothing on the OS map that shows the 'unofficial' footpath, however there is a path running parallel to the wall at the top of the field above the hall which brings you out a little further down onto Reservoir Road.

The official footpaths go from Start Lane to Reservoir Road, but unofficially it all depends on the depends on the landowner/s consent in question, whomn I happen to believe are these locallers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1305700/Derbyshire-villagers-raise-120-000-buy-field-halt-housing-development.html

Fr Jamie  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2012 23:19:55(UTC)
Fr Jamie

Whaley Hall

From Fr Jamie

GOOD Evening.

I thought I would just point out a few facts so that everyone can be clear rather than jumping to any wrong information as this can easily be done !

Their is NO Public Footpath that runs through Whaley Hall Estate. 

A few years ago their was a meeting called at Matlock for a public footpath to go from Whaley Lane, and partly down the original drive of the Hall which takes you then across the Field, and onto Reservoir Rd.

This is the footpath that you should be taking and not coming through the estate.

Sadly when the field was sold the new owners put a barbed wire fence across, and so we can not drive over what was the original drive.

The private entrance to the Hall has become rather slippy and we have had children  trying to get the said dog angry in order to chase after them, either walking or on bikes, which has nearly ended up in tears !!!!

The  dog does not belong to the Hall or to me and was reported to the Vet  recently and we are not responsible for the dog.

when we have had people staying at the Hall damage has been done to cars.

I feel this is not acceptable and I am sure that if you were in our situation of having people come into your back garden  or through your home then you would not be happy either !!!!!

We can not help you with regards to the Cows in the fields all  I can say is be careful.

I hope that gives you some clarification that  Whalley Hall Estate is Private Land and not part of the  Public Right of Way and that we are not held responsible for any injuries or accidents, if you have not been given permission to be on the estate.

Sorry if this sounds as if we are being un social but as you may be aware, we have recently had a lot of damage done mounting up to 10K and in the past years we have had the outside lights broken and I am sure as I have already said that im sure you would not have put up with half of that !!!!

In the meantime do watch out when crossing the field and lets hope for some nicer weather in the meantime.

Happy Summer !!!!!

Fr Jamie

Whaley Hall

sfmans  
#6 Posted : 17 July 2012 06:50:21(UTC)
sfmans

Man

Notices from DCC appeared last year on the path running from Hockerley Lane / Whaley Lane, across the cow field, and joining Reservoir Road by the Toddbrook reservoir dam, proposing to add that path to the official footpath register. I think the extension right across the cow field and down to join the path running from Start Lane to Reservoir Road was also added at the same time, but that may be a 'permissive path.

Edited by user 17 July 2012 06:54:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

High Peak Harry  
#7 Posted : 17 July 2012 07:32:18(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Isn't this similar to the Bothome's Hall thread? People assuming that because they've got away with something for the past x years it's alright.
sfmans  
#8 Posted : 17 July 2012 08:35:54(UTC)
sfmans

Man

The Derbyshire CC mapping portal at http://derbyshiremaps.derbyshire.gov.uk/launch_portal.asp shows Footpath 110 running the first course I described, from the Whaley Lane / Hockerley Lane junction, across the cow field, then down to Reservoir Road by the Toddbrook dam.

pensionman  
#9 Posted : 17 July 2012 09:30:53(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

To match the public spirited act of the Estate of Whaley Hall, I would like to offer those inconvenianced by the paths closure a free place on the noble art of the Matador. I would need aminimum of two students, as when one is either trampled or gored by El Torro, the remaining survivor would be required to either alert the emergency services or assist with the hasty recovery & exit of trainee El Cordobes. The course will also provide basic first aid skills.Swords are provided. Ole.

Jonny Summers  
#10 Posted : 17 July 2012 18:22:58(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sorry H.P.Harry but the two are certainly not the same. This thread is seeking clarification as to what is the correct right-of-way; I don't need to comment further on the Bothomes Hall one!!!