logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
THE CROW  
#1 Posted : 19 July 2012 18:28:16(UTC)
THE CROW

Groups: Member

I have it on good authority that The Jodrell is to be open by Christmas,as a Wetherspoons!!!!!!!!!!.I really hopt not as all the drunks in The High Peak will be wandering round the village.

pensionman  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2012 18:35:38(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Oh No! That will kill off the trade for the likes of Sheps. What next, MacDonalds drive through next to it? Call it progess?

Wanderer returns  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2012 19:15:57(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I've done some searching on the Internet and cannot find anything relating to this? Nothing seems to have happened to the pub for a while so it does make you wonder if the people who were intending to open it have lost interest or run out of money
Ferni  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2012 20:30:04(UTC)
Ferni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Wetherspoons? ahh I did hear a whisper on a vine it was going to be a chain pub.. well --- Wetherspoons.. it could be worse! They do make very good use of old establishments, and restore them very tastefully. Can't say the same for their grub though. It'll be a fair challenge for the other pubs aswell, I suppose. I'll just be very glad it's being used for the purpose it was designed for,

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
pensionman  
#5 Posted : 19 July 2012 22:28:17(UTC)
pensionman

I would like a leisure centre in Whaley, & there's bags of room in the Joddy A lack of imagination & vision of the developers. We're all obese,eat & drink too much (apparently) & live too long. A top position in the town/village could be a centre of fitness & excellence- not a pub for God's sake.Cheap food will also kill off the baker,Bella, babka et al, as well as the local producers/suppliers who provide the eggs,bacon,mince,potato,salad,milk etc in exchange for factory produced stogue. Just hope this is a rumour, please.

Green_Gentleman  
#6 Posted : 19 July 2012 23:47:13(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

IMHO they could fit up the Jodrell in the same way the 'Winking Man' near Leek has been used as a venue for DJs, Disco's, Parties, and even monthly Rock/Metal Nights. I don't know what the place looks like from the inside but it would be ideal as a venue for local bands to practise, perform, even record if hiring out one of the ex-bedrooms above. Unfortunately this idea is merely just that...no cash, little investment and profit margin, and no support from any of the banks whomn i've pitched the idea to.

RockBanker  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2012 06:42:45(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Events may prove me wrong (they often do), but I would be suprised if Wetherspoons were interested in the Jodrell. Generally they seem to target bigger towns than Whaley Bridge. I would not be suprised if someone told me that M&B had plans for it as one of their many brands, such as Vintage Inn, Village Pub & Kitchen etc, however this is purely speculation.

Edited by user 20 July 2012 20:22:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
davethescope  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2012 10:04:28(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
pensionman wrote:

I would like a leisure centre in Whaley, & there's bags of room in the Joddy A lack of imagination & vision of the developers. We're all obese,eat & drink too much (apparently) &

Well walking to the leisure centre in New Mills would address some of those problems. Indeed just walking to New Mills would be a good start :-)
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Neil A Shaw  
#9 Posted : 20 July 2012 15:06:14(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Strewth!
Form a sentence using the following words: sand, of, collective, your, out, the, take, heads,
The current state of the Jodrell is the biggest embarrassment to Whaley Bridge since the night that Crompy was let loose on the Reeperbahn. Are people seriously suggesting that a Wetherspoons replacement would damage the Pub trade?
Every year we get fewer and fewer as the drinkers in Whaley resemble First World War veterans. The Navigation and Dog and Partridge have already bit the bullet so it’s a tame and lazy argument to blame Wetherspoons, especially as a few jobs would appear in an area that’s hardly renowned for employment opportunities.
The Sheps regulars will stay Sheps regulars. It’s just nice to have a choice

pensionman  
#10 Posted : 20 July 2012 15:56:17(UTC)
pensionman

Yes, it will be so pleasant taking a stroll into the village on a Friday night side-stepping the drunken youths heaving up their cheap alcopops from Wetherspoons or being hauled into the police carts. Go down to Wetherspoons in Hazel Grove around 12.30 1.00 am tonight & picture the same wild west scene here in Whaley. No thanks.

Edited by user 20 July 2012 16:07:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Neil A Shaw  
#11 Posted : 20 July 2012 16:09:17(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

As someone who has worked in Hazel Grove for the last thirteen years, I'm more than qualified to talk about the drunken behaviour of the locals, which incidentally has nothing to do with Wetherspoons and everything to do with youngsters being served by their mates at certain supermarkets in the area.

Similalry, the Chavs who wander around Whaley on a Friday night  will still be wandering around Whaley on a Friday night. They won't be allowed in Wetherspoons, but if they want cheap alcohol they will find it.

Norm  
#12 Posted : 20 July 2012 18:53:32(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

THE CROW wrote:

I have it on good authority that The Jodrell is to be open by Christmas,as a Wetherspoons!!!!!!!!!!.I really hopt not as all the drunks in The High Peak will be wandering round the village.

Mr Crow, who or what is the "good authority"?

Norm

pensionman  
#13 Posted : 20 July 2012 19:20:52(UTC)
pensionman

Pop down to the A&E at Stepping Hill from 12.30 tonight to see for yourself. En route take in Wetherspoons who fuel the outpatients. We were there two weeks ago & saw it for ourselves. Talk to the health Pro's there & you'll soon get a sense of the problems late night cheap drink establishments. Wetherspoons in Whaley would also become a magnet for other 'chavs/low life that would come & trash Whaley. I like a scoop or two myself, but would not want such a place here. Silly this, as it appears to be rumour anyway.

Green_Gentleman  
#14 Posted : 20 July 2012 21:30:48(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

Under the licensing laws I believe landlords have the right to refuse service to anyone they wish, drunk or otherwise. In these harship times i'm beginning to wonder about the tradeoff over customers vs ethicals, in that no landlord wants to refuse cash up-front by the customer and so do they simply serve these people in fear of getting a bad rep?

Of all the years i've frequented the Whaley pubs I can honestly say that not once have I visually seen anyone been thrown out or refused service due to overindulgence, something we can at least be proud of in this town. As a young'in myself I know how to have fun without pushing things but sadlt not everyone is that self-controlled, and it certainly doesn't reflect on the regular punters who are sociable and can get back home without a scratch. Anti-social behaviour and alcohol though aren't nothing new, but the attitudes towards the glamourisation of 'binging' certainly are.

davethescope  
#15 Posted : 21 July 2012 05:27:06(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
There are four establishments in Whaley where you can buy wine at half the Weatherspoon's price and spirits at a fifth of 'spoons price. Wouldn't that that be where those intent on getting beastly drunk get their cheap liquor?
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
THE CROW  
#16 Posted : 21 July 2012 07:57:24(UTC)
THE CROW

I heard a barman in Wetherspoons in Hazel Grove say they had a fella in called Miles Slade???.And he overheard a conversation about it.So it is all a bit second hand,but it sounds possible.

High Peak Harry  
#17 Posted : 21 July 2012 18:38:09(UTC)
High Peak Harry

As I put on another thread regarding the 'prison' at the Moorside, it is best waiting for firm evidence rather than hearsay. Particularly third hand from someone who has only made 2 posts and both on this thread!
Norm  
#18 Posted : 21 July 2012 21:01:40(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Quite right HPH.

My definition of "on good authority" may be different than others, but second or third hand overheard in a pub after a bit of neck oil is not what I would call good authority. That is why I asked.

Still time will tell, anything is possible.

Norm

Edited by user 21 July 2012 21:06:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wanderer returns  
#19 Posted : 21 July 2012 21:33:06(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
It's just such a shame to see the place closed, I'm not a massive fan of the Wetherspoons ethic with cheap drinks and promotions but I'm starting to think that it might be preferable to the place being closed. Hazel Grove can be a bit like the wild wild west as you drive through on a Friday or Saturday but there has often been a fair bit of "action" in the village when people have nada few scoops?
I sent an e-mail to the people who were supposed to be re-opening the Jodrell months ago but never received anything back which set me alarm bells ringing. The Navigation has gone, the D&P too maybe the Jodrell needs to be part of a big chain to give it a chance of surviving?