logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 03 June 2009 14:13:58(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Good afternoon to you both,

I have today received the photographs and letter from you R S-S, via Jake, and am truly grateful to you both for your kindness in getting such beautiful photographs to me.  What a beautiful resting place Crouy Cemetery is.  It means a lot to see WHJ's final resting place, especially since no member of the family has ever been out there.

I knew that the casualty clearing station was nearby but I understand that clearing stations were mobile and moved about to be near the fighting.  In all the papers that are available online, one is a report stating the number of the clearing station and cause of death. 

It is interesting what you say about the graves of the Germans - it appears that although the stones face in the opposite direction to the rest the patch for the flowers is on the same side of the stone as all the the others, giving the appearance of the stones being back-to-front.

The pictures for La Clytte cemetery are equally beautiful - and I agree that William Joddrell was quite an age to be fighting and wonder if he had previously been in the Army and perhaps called-up as a reservist.  I am sure your friend must be very grateful for your kindness in helping him track down his relative.

Once again R S-S, thank you for your kindness, it is very much appreciated by myself and family.

Gnats

For those have not seen previous posts my Great Uncle WHJ was a young boy from Whaley, serving his country in the first world war, who lost his life within 3 weeks of landing in France (8 months after enlisting as soon as he reached 18 years of age). 

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2009 08:21:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Morning Gnatalee,

I am pleased you have received the disc and that the contents are what you wanted. Let us know what your Dad’s reaction is when he sees it.

Just a final thought on your family history: did you also have a relative from Whaley Bridge who was in the Cheshire Regiment with the Pals, he was very small, and was injured in The Great War? He survived and returned to Whaley.

I think you did.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2009 21:15:51(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi R. S-S

I have this evening played the disc on the television for my Dad (a bit easier for him than the computer) and he was so so impressed. He thought it was a beautiful place and was amazed at how well kept the cemetery was, the pretty flowers and how peaceful everything seemed. I explained to him about the different nationalities in the cemetery, where it was etc. He was so appreciative of the opportunity to see his uncle's resting place.

I'm not sure who the person is that you refer to. I can't think of who it could be. I can't remember being told of anyone coming home wounded. Do you have any initials for me? 

Once again, thank you for your thoughtfulness - you have been very kind. 

Gnats

Edited by user 04 June 2009 21:17:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2009 10:55:46(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gnats,

Sorry for the lateness of my reply I really could not help it.

William Celandine Jodrell who was killed in the Great War had a son John William Jodrell who also fought in The Great War. He was in the Cheshire Regiment (Pals) and was wounded and sent home.

He later married Edith Jones the daughter of your Great Grandfather Harry, the Bridge Street Barber.
They had one daughter, Doreen and they lived next door to the Old Conservative Club on Chapel Road in one of a pair of cottages that have long since been demolished.

By all accounts JWJ was not over generous to his wife Edith and she had to make ends meet by taking in washing, making cakes and jam to sell, repairing clothes and such like. As you already know Edith’s brother Percy married another Jodrell – Lottie.

I’m pretty sure this is correct but please check it out with your Dad.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#5 Posted : 09 June 2009 11:26:42(UTC)
Gnatalee

Good morning R. S-S

Thank you for the information. I've heard of Auntie Edith but hadn't realised that she had married a Joddrell as well - I had been looking for her marriage on the BMD registers. How interesting ! I will have a chat with Dad about this, it is nice to be able to talk to him about people in his family who I never knew. His memory isn't too good and so chatting to him about his life in Whaley Bridge is valuable to us both.

He is very appreciative of your efforts to get the Crouy pictures to us - we sat on Saturday afternoon watching the service on TV for the D-Day landings - we sang the hymns as well !

I printed-off your account of the Goyt overflowing so that he could read it - he nearly wore the paper out !! He kept picking up the paper, reading it and saying "That's very good that !"

Gnats

Edited by user 09 June 2009 11:27:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#6 Posted : 09 June 2009 13:40:52(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

R.SS

Very interesting to find out that there was a Conservative club on Chapel Road. Where would this be situated. I knew of a Mr & Mrs Jodrell Or Joddrel who lived on Chapel Road and had a daughter called Doreen who in fact became Mrs King. Am I correct ?.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 09 June 2009 14:15:59(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Frankie,

Have you been away?

Yes you are correct about Doreen.

The Conservative Club was in the house which I think is up for sale and was/is owned by Raymond Butler the lorry driver who now lives at Taxal Edge. There were two cottages attached to this house on the Board Inn side; these are the cottages where Edith lived and where Doreen was born. They were demolished years ago and a garage now stands in their place.

I am under the impression that the Conservative Club moved a bit down the road to the house that faces up Chapel Road with all the windows. It has since been a vets, hairdressers, fishmongers, school etc. I have a map which denotes this property as a club.

Funnily enough I saw Andrew Bingham knocking on the door of the old Conservative Club last week. I don’t know if he was canvassing for votes or looking for some new expenses sheets. I believe all the others have been used up.

By the way it may be that the Conservatives moved down the road to keep their eyes on their old foes the Liberals. There was a Liberal Club situated very close by.

R. S-S
Frankie  
#8 Posted : 09 June 2009 18:00:20(UTC)
Frankie

Hello R.S-S.

Thanks for the info very interesting to know the location of the the Con club. A Mrs Evans used to live in the house, my sister was very friendly with the family.Like the bit about expenses sheets.Here am I pensioner  still paying tax on this and the other to fund Plasma TVs at £8000 each plus other goodies (scandalous). I know the other house used to be G. Bentley Fishmongers (Elworth House)and latterly as you a say vets practice.

Still around , happy to read some of the new threads and pleased to see new members joining the Forum.

Frankie.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 09 June 2009 18:09:17(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Frankie,

I thought your brief absence may have been explained by a world cruise. Yes Jimmy Evans, the old plumber and one of Whaley’s finest, used to live there.

Have you located The Liberal Club yet? It was actually known as The Partington Liberal Club.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#10 Posted : 09 June 2009 18:10:17(UTC)
Gnatalee

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Hello Gnats,

Sorry for the lateness of my reply I really could not help it.

William Celandine Jodrell who was killed in the Great War had a son John William Jodrell who also fought in The Great War. He was in the Cheshire Regiment (Pals) and was wounded and sent home.

He later married Edith Jones the daughter of your Great Grandfather Harry, the Bridge Street Barber.
They had one daughter, Doreen and they lived next door to the Old Conservative Club on Chapel Road in one of a pair of cottages that have long since been demolished.

By all accounts JWJ was not over generous to his wife Edith and she had to make ends meet by taking in washing, making cakes and jam to sell, repairing clothes and such like. As you already know Edith’s brother Percy married another Jodrell – Lottie.

I’m pretty sure this is correct but please check it out with your Dad.

R. S-S

Hello R.S-S

Have printed the message off  and Dad has had a look and he does, indeed, remember that Edith married a Jodrell (but not the fact that he was a bit tight witht he purse strings !)   He can't recall Doreen, but perhaps that is because there was 13 years difference between his Dad and Edith, and so Doreen was probably quite a bit younger than him and, of course, he left the village when he was 17.,

Gnats

Edited by user 09 June 2009 18:11:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#11 Posted : 09 June 2009 18:47:39(UTC)
Frankie

R.S-S.

Do not have a clue where the Partington Club may have been but i would be delighted to know.

Hoping to enjoy a visit to Greece later on in the year depending what Saga have got to offer us poor pensioners.

Do you have any contact with the Man City fanatic T.B or MF the man from black pudding land?.                                                                 

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#12 Posted : 10 June 2009 08:24:08(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Frankie,

The Partington Liberal Cub was on Old Road it is now The Gospel Hall. You can locate it from your house by walking up Chapel Road and turning left on to Old Road. It is on the opposite side from the junk shop that used to be the New Inn and before that The Jolly Roger and before that again The New Inn. In twenty yards you will walk past a house that was at one time The Lamb and Salmon and before that The Quiet Woman in twenty more yards you will have reached your destination as the Sat Nav says.

The Liberal Club had a gentleman’s lounge and bar at ground level and at the back on the lower ground level was the snooker room.

As regards the City fanatic I do not see him now but occasionally hear from him. He spends a lot of time in Russia he tells me.

Black Pudding Mike; well I would simply call him a pudding, is now retired and I have not seen him since last summer. He looked a bit strange to me because he had grown his hair quite long. Now before you think I am joking because he doesn’t appear to have much hair I must explain he could only grow it long where it did actually grow. And that is at the back of his head. It was long and grey and he looked very much like John Thaw in Cavanagh QC.

It was so startling that I did feel the need to question him about it:

“It makes me very attractive to the younger woman”, he said.

“Dream on MF”.

R. S-S