logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedup  
#1 Posted : 12 August 2012 21:52:25(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Did anyone see the horrendous mess left at the skate park after the official opening on Friday evening?

When I walked past on Saturday morning, around 9.00 a.m. it looked like the aftermath of a riot.  The whole area was covered in bottles, cans and discarded fast food.  The mindless idiots had also thrown bottles into the concrete "pit" (not very well informed on skate boarding lingo!)  leaving broken glass everywhere.  To get passed the area you had to crunch through broken glass all over the path. 

Someone from the Football Club was there taking photos and seemed almost stunned by the devastation.

Several other people who were stood looking  at the mess and who lived round the Park Road area said they are constantly disturbed by the noise that these idiots make in the evenings.

There was more mess there again this morning I believe, but when I  walked past it had been cleared up.

Now I see that an application has been made for a licence to sell alcohol in the Park.  Great!

Glad I don't live near there. 

pensionman  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2012 23:01:43(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Fedup, please could you post the application or link on here? Seems an odd thing to do especially as I'm still waiting for my lincese for my surf shack onToddy Reser & heard nothing yet & been waiting 2 years. Maybe the draining of the reser didn't help.

Edited by user 13 August 2012 23:03:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Janep  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2012 08:46:56(UTC)
Janep

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It's getting quite commonplace for the excessive litter in that area , many locals pick up bags of rubbish before the " children " come out to play so they don t develop any awareness of the devastation they leave behind . Trust me , some of the parents are just as bad by not setting an example of putting litter in a bin . I don t know what the solution is , one or two police would not be able to exercise any control over Friday nights debacle . To enclose the area would be to costly but CCTV may identify the worst offenders . Felt very sorry for the football club so much effort has been put into the pitches etc , they should not have to clean up after these idiots .
Jonny Summers  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2012 19:19:13(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It wasn't just litter, it was deliberately broken beer bottles all over the skate park; hope to get some of the pictures that were taken on Saturday morning on the forum tomorrow
Janep  
#5 Posted : 14 August 2012 20:50:38(UTC)
Janep

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am sure even photos won t show the true reality of the mess , litter was an understatement . Who did clear up eventually , I would have left it for all to see !!
Fedup  
#6 Posted : 14 August 2012 22:57:03(UTC)
Fedup

pensionman wrote:

Fedup, please could you post the application or link on here? Seems an odd thing to do especially as I'm still waiting for my lincese for my surf shack onToddy Reser & heard nothing yet & been waiting 2 years. Maybe the draining of the reser didn't help.

I presume you mean the alcohol licence for the Park?

There are notices posted on the notice boards in the Park.

I'm glad other people were as shocked as I was.  It was really a devastating sight.  I do not know who cleared up, but, awful as it sounds, part of me thinks that it would be better just to leave it  to teach these lunatics that there isn't a litter fairy that comes round in the night and clears everything up for them.  But then of course some of the younger children who use the skate park for actual sport may get hurt.

CCTV I think would certainly be better than nothing.

And, by the way, it's usually the early morning dog walkers who pick up the litter. (The ones, of course, who pick up their dog mess as well!) 

Ferni  
#7 Posted : 16 June 2013 20:49:42(UTC)
Ferni

It's no wonder people are so judgemental about today's youth, despite trying their hardest to give them the benefit of the doubt, or trying not to label them all. 

I was walking my mum's dog over the football pitch area. I noticed 2 cars parked at the barricaded area, that leads a track right up to the skate park. One, the pale car, stayed there while the driver walked over to the park. The other, a dark one felt he couldn't bear to walk that far and leave his precious chariot unattended some 300 yards away from him, so, finding the barricades locked, simply went to the wooden bollards near the garages and lifted one out of the way and drove his car over to the park. 

On our way back from the walk, said vehicle was there again ( it came and went ) so I asked the young males there whose it was. I mentioned the bollards were there for a reason, the ones across the track being locked for a reason: to prevent access. I took a photo of the registration, and instantly got ( another unjustified ) mouthful from a blond haired kid calling me a 'peado' and that 'there could be children in that car you peado'.  
  Other words were hurled, mainly gibberish, demonstrating their immaturity and the adage of the best line of defence is offence. 
Halfway across the track,the driver and blond kid drove past quickly, stopped at the stump they'd moved to get there, moved the car forward, replaced the stump and parked the car in front of the locked bollards.  The blond kid started fiddling with the combination lock and after a considerable struggle, opened the lock  and the dark car drove through the gap, back towards the skate park ! I'd asked the driver if he was from Whaley. He said he was from Chapel. 
He wasn't happy when I said if the stump was seen or heard to be removed and damaged again I'd pass his registration details to the police. 

I know whose the blond kid is. I'm disappointed that he felt responsible enough for the skate park and the combination lock access, but saw nothing wrong in letting his friend simply uproot a barrier post, several times ( and not just today I believe). 

Plus- they're not happy with ALL that area given to them at incredible expense, they have built themselves a mud curved ramp at the edge of the slope down to the park. I believe another member of the public has been watching them build it recently, cutting down trees, and digging a ditch,  and has mentioned it to the council. 

... and don't get me started on the drugs I know are peddled there. 

At least at the youth clubs there is adult supervision - at the MUGA it's like Lord of the Flies.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
JonG  
#8 Posted : 17 June 2013 08:46:06(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi,
The MUGA is completely separate from the skate-park, and has nothing to do with it.

If you see vehicles at the skate-park, then please simply take the registration numbers and pass them on to me privately via my email address below. There is no need to talk to the driver.
Vehicles are not allowed at the skate park. The track is for emergency access should it be needed, and for maintenance. Skate park users have plenty of parking available at the Pavillion.
This topic was brought up by me with the police at the recent town council meeting, and action will be taken. Please pass on the registration numbers.
Cheers
Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Fedup  
#9 Posted : 17 June 2013 12:46:02(UTC)
Fedup

Perhaps we should put these youths on leads?!

Not sure the police will be able to do much, stretched as they are, but perhaps JonG could repeat his anti dog fouling performance of last year, i.e. hide in the bushes and leap out at the offenders when they least expect it.

A few notices around both the skate park and the main Park area pointing out that littering and vandalism are against the law and offenders could face a fine (like the ones up about dog fouling) might, just might, have some effect, but  I somehow doubt it.  It seems that whatever you give kids they are never satisfied, and they don't take kindly to being told they are in the wrong. I think they consider that an infringement on their personal liberty! 

Edited by user 17 June 2013 13:19:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JonG  
#10 Posted : 17 June 2013 14:20:57(UTC)
JonG

The vast majority of the skate park users are superb, and do not cause any problems.  It is extremely unfair to tar them all with the same brush. The skatepark is a really successful project and attracts lots of local youngsters as well as others from outside the immediate area. You will find that many of the youngsters are just as upset about the few people that cause problems as you are, as it spoils it for them too.
It was brought up last week at the council meeting and there is a good solution regarding the vehicles, which can ultimately be seized by the police if they are found at the skatepark. The parkkeeper has today been putting up additional bollards and making some other changes. You, or anyone, can provide registration details to me privately if it continues to be a problem.
The skate park project was largely designed by the kids, and the grant application was backed and supported by all the kids. That is one of the reasons why it is so successful. It is what they wanted , and they got it via their efforts. Good on them for that.

I think you will find that whatever you give some adults, they are never satisfied either. Take the lovely park, football fields and Shallcross Incline they have to walk their dogs in for example. There are still plastic bags full of dog pooh hanging on trees, and piles of the stuff all over the place, and regularly on the pavements.. They dont take kindly to being told they are in the wrong either, and appear to consider it is an infringement on their personal liberty to stop their dogs from fouling the football fields and the childrens play areas. It's too much of an effort apparently to carry the stuff home or to the nearest bin. Signs are up, but they dont take much notice. They are a minority as well, fortunately, but they still spoil it for the rest of us. I'd like to put them on leads attached to their dogs!

Cheers
Jon.

Edited by user 17 June 2013 14:22:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#11 Posted : 17 June 2013 17:58:16(UTC)
Fedup

This may come as a surprise, but I agree with everything you say. Many of the kids who use the skate park use it responsibly and derive great pleasure from it. And I have great admiration for the kids that worked so hard to have the skate park installed.

Nevertheless, vandalism and littering are problems which need addressing, and I just wish that you were as vocal about those problems as you are about dog fouling. There are no signs up anywhere regarding littering and vandalism. Neither have I seen an entire Whaley Bridge News Letter devoted to littering and vandalism.

Yes, we must continue to oppose the minority of dog owners who do not pick up after their dogs, but surely we should be just as loud in our condemnation of those who throw litter and vandalise our "lovely park".

Edited by user 17 June 2013 18:00:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ferni  
#12 Posted : 17 June 2013 18:08:53(UTC)
Ferni

Hi 

Hi The MUGA is completely separate from the skate-park, and has nothing to do with it.

semantics; it's the playing fields, the football pitch... same field - you know what I mean though, don't you?

If you see vehicles at the skate-park, then please simply take the registration numbers and pass them on to me privately via my email address below. There is no need to talk to the driver.

no ta... if I see criminal damage I'll report it to the police myself. And as a mature adult I'll speak to whomever I wish - unless you're suggesting I shouldn't for fear of reprisals?

Too many children are reared on the belief they are untouchable and unapproachable, and even to be feared if an adult addresses them. It's soft soaping attitudes like this which has bred  lawlessness, immorality, and  narcissistic  attitudes in a large percentage of today's under 30's.

I'm not that old that I can remember horses and carts or life before telly, so I'm no 'old fogey',  but as a kid born and bred in this village where everyone knew everyone else, and whose kids were whose,  you kept your nose clean for fear stuff got back to your mum and dad. The village-family network is still thriving in Whaley.... it just doesn't need proclaiming.

As an aside, Cllr Jon has seen my face dozens of times: in the street, at events, and in the pubs, and yet asked me if I was on the council when I was at the meeting about the proposed new housing estates. I'd made eye contact with him, to acknowledge that I knew him, but was met with a blank question as if he'd never seen me before.
I'm stunned he knows so much about the vast majority of skate park users in light of this.

Knowing who's who in your community should be of paramount importance as an non-local councillor. It's not just those with the right connections that are deserving of acknowledgement, it's those you're representing and hoping to gain support from. 

Vehicles are not allowed at the skate park. The track is for emergency access should it be needed, and for maintenance. Skate park users have plenty of parking available at the Pavillion.

Not sure for whose benefit you've written that, not mine I hope, but that information probably needs emblazoning on a large signage in front of the removable bollards, because it certainly isn't observed and/or enforced by aforementioned responsible kid who allowed, watched and condoned kid from Chapel to remove the stumps many times recently. 

Cheers
Jon.

Cheers backatcha.

Ferni

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Jonny Summers  
#13 Posted : 17 June 2013 20:05:15(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Sorry Ferni, re your use of the "word" MUGA, you're mistaken & wrong to belittle JG's reply. You may think it's semantics, but I don't. The MUGA or AGP (Artificial Grass Pitch) as it is now known, is an entirely separate entity from the skatepark, and whilst agreeing with your issues, please don't mix the two.
JonG  
#14 Posted : 17 June 2013 21:15:11(UTC)
JonG

Hi Ferni,
The reason for asking to pass the registration numbers privately to me was twofold. Firstly, it would be wrong to put the numbers on the forum, and secondly, it makes sense to pass the numbers back to the officer who said they would deal with it at the Council meeting.  However it's entirely up to you if you want to do it differently.

The second bit of text you pulled out was just for everyones information.

You can carry on fixing your eyes on me when you see me, which will provide much amusement, or you could do the normal thing and introduce yourself  :) 

Cheers

Jon.

davethescope  
#15 Posted : 18 June 2013 06:26:11(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JonG Go to Quoted Post
You can carry on fixing your eyes on me when you see me, which will provide much amusement, or you could do the normal thing and introduce yourself  :) 
Jon.

I don't think that you have lived in the village long enough for the "born and bred" locals to afford a "non-local" that courtesy :-)
Incidentally:  why did you have to ask Ferni whether he was on the council?   Surely you should be au fait.with the councils' membership.

Edited by user 18 June 2013 06:28:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
JonG  
#16 Posted : 18 June 2013 08:44:33(UTC)
JonG

Hi DTS,
I would have been asking if he/she was on HPBC , not WBTC !  There are many people working for HPBC, and I've only met a few of them face to face.
Cheers

Jon.