logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BarryRudd  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2012 23:40:00(UTC)
BarryRudd

Groups: Member

Hi all

Just back from my Seal hunting trip in the Farne Islands-prefered the Lobster actually it has less polyunsaturated fat..

Footsteps in Whaley has taken one small step and launched the first free Wi Fi in town.

It would be nice if we could extend this a little with at least one in five residents and businesses unlocking their wireless access-Whaley could then become the first town in the UK with free internet access.

Or Not

Cheers

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
RockBanker  
#2 Posted : 28 September 2012 21:54:08(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Note the Drum & Monkey (ex Board Inn) also now offers free WiFi
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
parabuild  
#3 Posted : 28 September 2012 23:04:34(UTC)
parabuild

Man

BT Broadband customers have free access to a huge number of wi fi hot spots throughout the UK. Whaley Bridge is very well covered and you will not need to look too far to find an internet connection.

BarryRudd  
#4 Posted : 28 September 2012 23:46:44(UTC)
BarryRudd

Thank you David

It has been reported that the White Hart is active and the Youth club at Footsteps were pleased to be told this evening.  I believe that the Cock Inn was one of the countries first BT 'hotspots' some years ago. 

Footsteps was 14 Mb/sec yesterday

Cheers

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
parabuild  
#5 Posted : 29 September 2012 09:53:54(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Here is a map showing some of the hotspots in Whaley.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
hot spots.jpg
davethescope  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2012 22:33:08(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
It is worth considering the legal aspects of of using these hot spots. Just as leaving your front door unlocked doesn't allow any passer by to legally enter your lounge and watch your television, leaving a WiFi unsecured doesn't make accessing it legal. Even if the owner of the access point is unconcerned their contract with the ISP could still prohibit unlimited sharing.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
CReWdog  
#7 Posted : 01 October 2012 16:26:49(UTC)
CReWdog

davethescope wrote:
It is worth considering the legal aspects of of using these hot spots. Just as leaving your front door unlocked doesn't allow any passer by to legally enter your lounge and watch your television, leaving a WiFi unsecured doesn't make accessing it legal. Even if the owner of the access point is unconcerned their contract with the ISP could still prohibit unlimited sharing.

If you are a BT customer there will be no problems using a hotspot that shows up as any of the following: BTWiFi, BTOpenZone, BTFON, BTWiFi with FON. As a BT broadband customer myself I find these BT hotspots quite useful & can use them for up to 10,000 minutes a month (166 hours) inclusive of my broadband fee (I mainly use the BT hotspots with my phone as my contract doesn't allow me access to 2G or 3G). 

Indeed, anyone who is a BT customer can freely use my router at my house to log onto the internet without any security concerns on my part as my router assigns a secure part of my bandwidth for any BT customer to use. You are automatically "opted in" for BTFON as a BT customer. You can opt out but lose the right to log onto the internet using another BT hotspot (because you've stopped anyone else using your router).

There are plenty of unsecure (non BT) wi-fi hotspots around, there are several in Manchester city centre, I've even come across one in Whaley. Using one of those is illegal - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardriving and http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hereford/worcs/6565079.stm

Happy surfing.....

Jenny Megson  
#8 Posted : 04 October 2012 07:53:49(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Think that a lot of businesses ate under the impression that people will hover over one cup of coffee all day just to make use of the free internet. Nonsense of course.