logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lady Madonna  
#1 Posted : 12 October 2012 02:44:15(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Groups: Member

Can we get back to what the History forum is good at!

I know there have been previous discussions & a couple of photo's of our local schools but they are rich with stories that I'm sure would keep an interesting thread going for quite a while.

Pop West (Horwich End) Mr Elliot (Whaley Bridge) Mr Hardy, Mrs Butterworth, Nitty Nora etc.

May Pole dancing, PE done with the help of a record player! Raising money to build a swimming pool, the canteen at Whaley school that provided dinners for all the local schools. Visits from celebraties.

I am sure many of us have fond (or not!) of our time in local schools, have we produced any famous ex-students?

The bell has rang, grab your satchel, school books covered in wallpaper & lets see if we can carry on till play time 

Lady M. 

Curious  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2012 20:12:40(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Hi Lady M

Good Idea - Here's a photo that will hopefully start some discussion. Dinner Ladies at Whaley School sometime in the late 50s I think. How many can we name? I think they used to make the dinners at Whaley School and then take them round to some of the smaller local schools. The Van looks like the one Ironside used to drive round in.

Mrs C

File Attachment(s):
Dinner Ladies.jpg (280kb) downloaded 71 time(s).
Gnatalee  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2012 20:24:47(UTC)
Gnatalee

Well Mrs C

What a lovely photograph - a very happy bunch of workmates ! I don't know anyone (at least I don't THINK I recognise any of them) but I am looking forward to hearing all about them. C'mon folks - get posting ! 

Gnats

Edited by user 14 October 2012 20:25:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2012 19:16:25(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

HI Gnatalee and Mrs C,

This should be an interesting topic. I have been trying to find a photo of the teachers at Whaley School in the early 1950s so must try again.

My first teacher was Mrs. Arnfield who married the headmaster Mr. Moore who later left due to ill health. my others teachers were Mrs.Derby, Miss Kirk who lived at Chapel, Mrs.Edwards, Mr. Holdsworth who lived at Chinley.

I will have to stop there my eyes are bothering me so will carry on another time.

george 

Norm  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2012 19:47:29(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Photo sent in by Mrs C in post 2.

Norm attached the following image(s):
DinnerLadies.jpg
snowy  
#6 Posted : 18 October 2012 23:35:03(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Nice picture of the dinner ladies. I'm sure they did a really good job.

But ... can't help remembering the tough meat, fatty gravy, soggy cabbage and lumpy mashed potato which seemed to be the standard school dinner in the early 1950's at Horwich End School. I don't want to sound ungrateful, and no doubt it was the best they could do in the immediate post war rationing days, and it wasn't helped by the fact that they had to bring it from Whaley School kitchen, but it wasn't very nice by today's standards.

The puddings weren't too bad though, except for the prunes.

Teachers at the time were Mrs Bellfield in the infants (a bit strict and she was reluctant to give out more than one sheet of toilet paper if you were excused), Mrs Butterworth (tried to teach us joined up writing), Miss Lucking (tried to get us to write with a pen dipped in the ink well) and "Pop" West (brilliant Geography lessons but a bit scary when he walked round the class with his cane).

Edited by user 18 October 2012 23:42:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2012 17:42:02(UTC)
george

Continuing posting no.4

My teachers Mrs.Warm, Miss Bancroft, I was told she came from Southend with some of the evacuees, then Mr.Macareth, (I can't remember how it was spelt) he was a big man who came from Buxton. One day I dashed out of the cloakroom right into him, it was like banging into a brick wall. A cloakroom! That is a thing of the past at many schools now the pupils have to carry their coats with. Next was Mr. Farrar who was an expert with the wooden board duster, Then Mr. Sanderson who had been in the navy, he looked like Stewart Granger. He also took us for gardening, the boys in the top two classes had a gardening lesson twice a week this save the cost of a gardener. I seemed to do a lot of hoeing with a dutch hoe, one day Mr. Sanderson told me to hoe the potatoes up I couldn't understand why he wanted me to hoe them up they looked fine to me so I quiered this    instruction and he then said use a draw hoe which heaped up the soil along each row rather than chopped them off. He came very closed to losing all the poatoes that day. The other teacher top mention was Mr. Chapman the woodwork teacher. He had a specially springey 12" steel ruler one day he saw a boy (who sadly is no longer with us so I won't name him) was chewing in class so Mr. Chapman told him to go to the front and wait for him. Mr. Chapman was busy glueing up a large item.The boy went out and put a load of shavings down his trousers so he wouldn't feel the pain Chapman spotted this and said he would let him off, so he took out most of the shavings, a short time later he was chewing again but this time he wasn't let off.  

george

G. Jackson  
#8 Posted : 19 October 2012 18:09:45(UTC)
G. Jackson

Quite right George, Mr. Mackereth was a big one wasn't he? With hair "Brillcreamed" down flat on his head.
How about Miss Nelson at Whaley school her brother John was a brilliant darts player for the Sheps. He also sold lemonade etc. on a "pop" round in the 60's.
Mr. Hilton also at Whaley.
Miss Val. Needham who later married Ken Hall the metalwork teacher from Chapel and she went on to teach at Thornset school
The head at Whaley before Mr. Elliott was Mr. Hallam. He used to threaten people with his belt and smack it on the desk in front of the class exactly on a chalk mark he had previously drawn on the desk lid. I can't remember him ever using it for anything else than holding up his trousers.
G.J.

Edited by user 19 October 2012 18:10:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#9 Posted : 22 October 2012 16:17:26(UTC)
george

When was Miss Nelson at W.B. School G.J.?

I well remember Mr. William Hallam as headmaster at W.B.School, He had been in the first world war and on many occasion he would be telling us about being in the trenches.                                     The boys playground was the one nearest the bridge the girls was near the the bowling green. Before we were allowed into the school in a morning the the boys had to stand in a line according to the class they were in, if "Pop" Hallam was there the line had to be strait and we had to stand to attention as he inspected his troops and then we marched into our class rooms.                                    He came in the mid or early 1940s. During the war when evacuees swelled the number of pupils Two classes were held in the Methodist Sunday School rooms and some in the Holy trinity Church Hall. Some years later I remember being in class ( sat  front row where I usually had to sit as a punishment for talking, yes I know it's hard to believe isn't it) when the ink wells had just been filled Mr. Hallam came in and put his hand on a overfilled ink well and wasn't very happy about it. I gave him a piece of blotting paper to dry up the ink on his hand and he told me to go up to his office after and he would give me a piece. When I got there he gve me three and said he would remember me as the boy who made three hundred per cent profit. 

george            

G. Jackson  
#10 Posted : 22 October 2012 17:54:01(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear George,
Miss Nelson was there about 1953/4 if my memory serves me well. She was very attractive.
Old lurker  
#11 Posted : 23 October 2012 14:12:31(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I remember Miss Nelson, she was my first teacher at Whaley when we moved here in 1955, I was seven. I also remember Miss Barnett, Miss Needham (I have a picture of her with her class I will try and find it) , Mr Hilton and Mr Elliott who was the headmaster at that time. Also fondly remembered is Mrs Boak the dinnertime playground "helper".

Curious  
#12 Posted : 23 October 2012 14:53:44(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Yes, I also remember Mrs Boak and also Mrs Hallam singing Sally Go Round the Moon with them in the playground at Lunchtime in the late 1960s.

Mrs C