logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#21 Posted : 21 June 2009 18:10:05(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

RockBanker  
#22 Posted : 22 June 2009 13:14:40(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Thanks again RSS for the info on the shooting range.

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
owd git  
#23 Posted : 22 June 2009 23:40:57(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Dear all
If i may go back to the path through taxal wood, the path was a joint effort between the Peak Park Ranger Services very own Geoff Howe and i think a cartain Barrie taylor and it was actually built by derbyshire County council in about 1992-93.
When i was a child it was jusr a track weaving its merry way through the woods and yes it got a bit muddy in places but hay!
Its still a lovely part of WB but the last time i walked along it alot of the bushes and trees had been taken out and fences put up also it had been very much over grazed
RockBanker  
#24 Posted : 23 June 2009 08:23:06(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Thanks OG

PS With regards to RSS's postcard being titled 'Chapel En Le Frith', would I be mistaken in saying that the area was within Chapel en le Frith Rural District at the time?

Edited by user 23 June 2009 10:36:42(UTC)  | Reason: Korectin Mi Speeling

Nigel  
#25 Posted : 03 July 2009 20:05:42(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Has there been any progress on recovering the contents of the old Forum?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#26 Posted : 05 July 2009 19:54:54(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

RockBanker wrote:

Thanks OG

PS With regards to RSS's postcard being titled 'Chapel En Le Frith', would I be mistaken in saying that the area was within Chapel en le Frith Rural District at the time?

A very good evening to you Mr RockBanker,

I have been away on duty for a few days and have not had time to investigate what you said about the Goyt Valley being within Chapel-en-le-Frith Rural District. I have found this extremely interesting and before I went away I asked a colleague to do some digging for me.
I shall see that person in the morning and if they confirm what you have said I will let you know tomorrow evening. I already suspect you are correct and what I had thought was a misprint may be correct after all.

And here was me thinking I’d got a postcard worth millions. Well you do have ups and downs in life.

If it’s only worth 30p which is what I paid for it I will send it to Councillor Jon to put on the forum.

I’m reluctantly leaning towards 30p rather than a million at the moment. Fortunately I have not used it as a guarantee for my mortgage.

See you tomorrow Mr RockBanker.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#27 Posted : 06 July 2009 20:19:59(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good evening again Mr RockBanker,

I shall refer to you as RB in future with your permission of course.

Well my worst fears have been confirmed this very day. I have received the information I was dreading that the part of the Goyt Valley we are discussing was years ago part of Chapel-en-le-Frith as you suggested.

I have to take the information on board for it has come from no less a source than a Council Official. So there we have it!

It is double bad news in my book I am afraid; not only have I been under the impression for all the years I have walked that track that I was in Whaley when in actual fact I was in Chapel which is bad enough but my postcard pension scheme would appear to have gone the way of my other investments: down the pan.

I will now get the postcard from the bank’s safety deposit service and send it to Councillor JonG to put it on this thread for you.

What a bad start to the week, RB.  I hope FedUp doesn’t read this as I will fear for his well being. He will certainly be in a state of shock. Maybe tomorrow will bring brighter things.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#28 Posted : 07 July 2009 09:37:16(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

I think that it probably even worse than you think. According to Whaley's entry in Wikipedia, until the county boundary changes in the 1930's all of Whaley Bridge on the eastern side of the Goyt was classed as 'Fernilee' (including the Shallcross & Horwich), and was part of Chapel Urban District ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaley_Bridge ). Of course, you cannot believe everything in Wikipedia - Maybe we should just view it as black propaganda by Chapel nationalists. If true, then of course historically speaking, many of us live in the western suburbs of Chapel.

Edited by user 07 July 2009 09:37:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#29 Posted : 07 July 2009 12:12:43(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi RB

That's really interesting and answers a little query of mine. When looking at censuses for the area around 1871/1881/1891 I seem to have quite a few ancestors from Fernilee (Bradley and Ashcroft - Note to R.S-S: Harry the demon barber married an Ashcroft). Now I'm not Whaley-born and so was obviously wrong in thinking that Fernilee was up near the Shady Oak. Does this mean that anything on Buxton Road from the Horwich End crossroads is or was Fernilee?

Many thanks

Gnats  

Edited by user 07 July 2009 12:13:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RockBanker  
#30 Posted : 07 July 2009 12:45:06(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

I'm just going on what is posted on Wikipedia, which I interpret as saying that all of the 'Derbyshire' side of Whaley was in the parish of Fernilee. One would really need to look at a good map of the period showing parish boundaries to find its extents. I do recall reading that the Fernilee Parish was at one time enormous, streching a long way south. Interestingly this link ( http://www.genuki.org.uk.../DBY/Fernilee/index.html ) says that for much of it's history, Fernilee was part of the parish of Hope. I believe that some care has to be taken in distinguishing between civil parishes (areas of local government) and ecclesiastical parishes (areas of church administration), but this is getting way out of my field of knowledge. It certainly seems that the history of local government of Whaley is complex.

PS

This (

http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pd65/dby/kelly/fernilee.htm

) indicates that the Shep's and the White Hart  were in Fernilee in 1891.  There is a lot of good stuff if you google 'Fernilee Parish' on t'internet.

Edited by user 07 July 2009 13:56:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RockBanker  
#31 Posted : 07 July 2009 17:35:50(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

This one is interesting as well- Contains the original proposal for the unification of Whaley Bridge from its constituent parts:

http://www.chapel-en-le-...uncil.gov.uk/history.htm

I note that the closing times of the pubs varied according to which side of the river they were on - Must have been fun to watch the exodos across the river.

Edited by user 07 July 2009 18:09:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#32 Posted : 07 July 2009 18:54:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good evening to you RB,

I followed your interesting link to the Chapel Parish Council site and there is some interesting stuff on there. It would appear that we were Chapel people once upon a time; some of our Macc Road residents on the turnpike road were themselves Macclesfield people. I’m going to get my records out this weekend and have a proper delve for you.

We did discuss the closing times of the different pubs in Whaley on the last forum but it is well worth discussing again I will follow your lead RB.

By the way on page 6 of the Chapel web site is a section described as ‘recreation’ and it details how a recreation ground was given over and became our Memorial Park.
I have a postcard of the area before it was the park and when it was indeed the recreation ground; there is a little pathway and a long dry-stone wall to be seen.

Anyway I have just got back from the bank with my other postcard showing your path in the Goyt Valley. So I will now send them both to JonG to put them on the forum for you.
The Goyt Valley is printed by Judges and the Rec is printed by Valentines.

JonG is kindly going to load some photos later today that I have sent him and when he does I’ll give you the background to them.
They will be of particular interest to our great mate Gnatalee.

See you later on RB.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#33 Posted : 08 July 2009 17:04:15(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Now this may be a real poser. Given that Whaley Bridge was not 'Unified' until the 1930's, does this mean that the names recorded on the War Memorial in the park for WW I show only those residents of 'Yeardsley-cum-Whaley' (ie the Cheshire side) and not those that were resident on the Derbyshire side, and that those on the Derbyshire side were recorded on the Chapel memorial?

Edited by user 08 July 2009 17:05:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#34 Posted : 16 July 2009 20:15:00(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

Fresh from R.S.S's safety deposit box comes this postcard.

Cheers

Jon.

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
rss-shallcrosswoodspath.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
RockBanker  
#35 Posted : 17 July 2009 08:58:38(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Thanks Cllr Jon and R S-S.

I find this picture particularly interesting in the context of my original question. The picture seems to show that the path was artificially embanked even then. Someone must have thought it was worthwhile doing this, so I think that my question of who and why is still open.

Cheers

RB

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#36 Posted : 17 July 2009 18:51:05(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good evening to you RB,

I have just found an old map of all that area it is dated 1921 and the path we are talking about is clearly defined.

The map is very large and it would be impossible to put it on here so you will have to rely on my word and description.

When you go down Taxal off Long Hill, just after The Walker Pit, this well defined pathway branches off quite some way before the bridge at the bottom and runs parallel with the wider path that we all walk down. It crosses over the rough, steep road that comes down from the Long Hill lay-by and takes the route that we all know through Shallcross Wood.
Further along, on the left, is a branch pathway back to Long Hill and the stile. The path continues on my map which runs out at a place that seems to be identified as Dale of Goyt; but that may just be the area in general. It is, however, clearly defined as a footpath.
On the other side of the river the woodland is known as Park Wood and there is another well defined footpath going back to Taxal Church.

So according to this map of 1921 they are all simply footpaths.

I don’t think I can be of any more assistance on this RB except to say that, as far as I know, the next buildings up the valley were the gunpowder factory but I think these were reached by another route.

I intend walking this footpath, work and weather allowing, on Sunday morning to carry out further investigations.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#37 Posted : 20 July 2009 11:38:55(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Hope you had a good expedition R-SS. Here is something that I came across: Will of 1708 - William BROCK of Shallcross, which includes references to "Shallcross Wood Coal Pitts"

http://freepages.genealo...dusk/fernilee_wills.html

parabuild  
#38 Posted : 07 August 2009 10:22:45(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Does my memory play tricks ?

I am under the impression that I have read or been told that deer inhabit Shallcross Woods. There is evidence of tree bark having been gnawed by something. Does anybody know whether this is true or whether it is a figment of my imagination.

RockBanker  
#39 Posted : 07 August 2009 10:51:42(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

I have seen deer a couple of times in the last few years, and have often noticed their hoofprints in the mud. I believe that they are escapees from Lyme Park. You may have also noticed that there are 'beware of deer' signs on Long Hill as it passes through the woods.

Edited by user 07 August 2009 10:55:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

High Peak Harry  
#40 Posted : 07 August 2009 19:46:37(UTC)
High Peak Harry

A friend of my son's lives near the Shady Oak and has them in her garden on a regular basis. I know others who have seen them in the layby as well.