logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RockBanker  
#1 Posted : 12 June 2009 11:39:10(UTC)
RockBanker

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

One of our favourite walks, particularly on a sunny summer’s evening is to walk up to the Shady Oak along the path that runs along the east side of the Goyt from near Taxal ford and then up through Fernilee from near the footbridge. After slaking our thirst we take the short route home along Elnor Lane, always remembering to pay our respects to Mr Spitty the Llama.

I have often wondered about the section of the path from Taxal Ford along the edge of Shallcross Woods, between the river and the road. It has been constructed to a high standard, level, fairly broad and well surfaced with some substantial embanking for a mere footpath. After the clearing at the southern end of the woods, the path then becomes the more normal field track.

I had theorised that it was either constructed in conjunction with the works connected with Fernilee Reservoir or as a cart-track or driveway to a residence, farm, mine etc in the clearing where there appears to be earthworks indicating the platform of a building.

If anyone can give me a definitive answer (or some other plausible theories) as to the origins of this well made path I would be grateful.

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Frankie  
#2 Posted : 12 June 2009 17:14:03(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Not sure about the date but around the late 1980s a large water main was laid from Fernilee reservoir all the way down the valley crossed over Macclesfield road just above the entrance to Botany Buisness Park and down through the Memorial  Park. I am almost sure that after the disruption of the pipe line in the valley the remedial work involved making good and improvement to the old footpath.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 13 June 2009 12:27:37(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Frankie,

Messrs Murphy and Co carried out the civil engineering project to which you refer. I don’t recall them going anywhere near the footpath at the point in question. They cut across the path further up the valley. I am sure they came across the field near to the old monitoring house and through the gate. They then went across the iron pipe field and on to Macc Road as you correctly describe. But I simply can not remember how they got to the iron pipe field from the gate near the duck pond. You may be right and they went higher up but I do remember an encounter with the iron pipes and luckily for them it happened during Botany shutdown. You will definitely remember better than me as you will have been called to action stations. In the course of that excavation after crossing the river I am sure that they will have come across some long forgotten lead pipes and I am pretty certain that they did not leave them where they found them. Well I’d be surprised if they did wouldn’t you?

I think the path in question was nothing more than the entrance to the Goyt Valley for walkers. In the days that it was formed nobody had heard of a credit crunch although 99% of the population found it difficult to make ends meet. But it seems that pathways like this were created regardless of costs. Well the costs would have been minimal because the labour force was paid peanuts which Fedup is so fond of. Maybe that man knows more about the path. We shall have to wait and see.

R. S-S
Frankie  
#4 Posted : 13 June 2009 15:58:27(UTC)
Frankie

R.S-S.

I know the pipeline was away from the path and somehow I feel that Murphy's may have used the path to get some of their gear to the job. I also think that they may have done the upgrade as a token of good will.They may also have caused errosion to the footpath on their way to the White Horse every day for a liquid lunch (Draft Guiness).

RockBanker  
#5 Posted : 18 June 2009 09:30:38(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Thanks for the responses. I certainly remember the new pipeline being laid (early 90's I guess), and I think the path was well engineered before then, but my memory may be playing tricks.  Can anyone shed any light as to whether there was ever a building in the clearing? I know that there were a number of coal pits in the area (as the number of subsided shafts fenced off by the Coal Authority in recent years shows). Alas my copy of Coal Mining in Whaley Bridge is, along with most of my library, somewhere in a great pile of boxes awaiting the completion of our latest redecoration project (only about 5 years behind schedule) - but I guess there must be a copy in the town library.

Thanks again from Rock Bank.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 19 June 2009 13:56:40(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

The only building by the side of the river is the small monitoring building which is fairly modern and housed instruments to measure the flow of water through the weir. The ‘Water Board’ had to let a certain amount of water into the river daily from Fernilee Reservoir and that had to happen no matter how severe a drought that may be in place.
From memory I think it was three million gallons per day; but Frankie will probably know better than me.
There is now, sadly, a tree growing through the roof of this building which only ceased to be used a few years ago.
Further up the valley were a few scattered farm buildings and then some cottages and of course the gunpowder mill. But that’s all I know about. I think the path was just the pathway to the Goyt Valley.

Funnily enough I have a postcard that shows the very path we are discussing. It is very old and printed on the front are the words: “Chapel-en-le-Frith in The Goyt Valley.

Don’t ask me because I don’t know.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#7 Posted : 19 June 2009 14:17:01(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Thanks - I would be interested in seeing the postcard if you have the facilities to post it here - Is it one of the ones that is in the 'Old Postcards of Whaley Bridge' book (that is also in one of the many boxes stacked in my spare room)

I had a look at some of the old maps of the area ( on http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ ) and could not see anything there in the late C19th.  What I did see that interested me (and have not heard of before) is that there is a 'Rifle Range' shown in the fields between Taxal Ford and the Botany Works on the 1882 map.

Edited by user 19 June 2009 14:47:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#8 Posted : 19 June 2009 15:36:44(UTC)
Frankie

R.S-S  &   Rock Banker.

The only other work I can recall was in the mid to late 50s . This took place adjacent to Hill Brdge on the Fernilee side of theRiver Goyt. A large bore hole was drilled and the work went on for several weeks.I am not sure why, but there is a concrete slab and man hole cover at this location. I don't know of any other buidings until Fernilee Resevoir filter house.( Perhaps R&R where drilling for oil

Edited by user 19 June 2009 15:38:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 19 June 2009 18:30:45(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

The old postcard that I have is most certainly not in the book you refer to.
I can only think it is some sort of misprint as, of course, Chapel is not in the Goyt Valley. But just because of that it is very interesting. I have not seen a copy anywhere else and mine is not in very good condition to be honest.

If you have been reading the forum you will know I have been receiving tuition into posting photos on the forum and all being well I should be in a position to do so next week. Until now Councillor Goldfinch has kindly posted them for me. I have a pretty good collection and I do not mind sharing it with anyone who is interested. This is not a view shared by others who have similar collections and who think they should remain private. I do not understand that point of view.

As for the rifle range we discussed that at length on the old forum and I don’t know if records of that forum have been kept by anyone; I certainly did not save any of the entries. I only wish I had.

There was some marvellous stuff discussed:
Whaley Picture House, the Lost Fountain, Whaley’s prison cells, an old murder case, Taxal’s hangman, Dickie’s skull, Churches, old cafes, lost pubs, the Murder Stone, old stables, football teams, the golf club, toll houses and, of course best of all, Royalty within the Town Council to mention just a small amount.

What a pity if it has all been lost

R. S-S

RockBanker wrote:

Thanks - I would be interested in seeing the postcard if you have the facilities to post it here - Is it one of the ones that is in the 'Old Postcards of Whaley Bridge' book (that is also in one of the many boxes stacked in my spare room)

I had a look at some of the old maps of the area ( on http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ ) and could not see anything there in the late C19th.  What I did see that interested me (and have not heard of before) is that there is a 'Rifle Range' shown in the fields between Taxal Ford and the Botany Works on the 1882 map.

Gnatalee  
#10 Posted : 19 June 2009 19:41:31(UTC)
Gnatalee

R. S-S

I love the list of discussion topics on the old forum - my particular favourite is Dickie's skull. As a small child I was told this story and whenever we passed the house on the way to Chapel I was very wary. In fact, when we went to Chapel a couple of weeks ago I mentioned Dickie's Skull to my Dad, but I don't think he was particularly interested at that time !

Gnats

Fedup  
#11 Posted : 19 June 2009 23:01:30(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I think, R.S-S, that royalty within the Town Council is making a return - but in a different, and not quite as amusing, form.

I do agree, however, that some of the topics on the old forum were really brilliant, and, like you, I regret their loss.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#12 Posted : 20 June 2009 12:34:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gnatalee,

I forgot to mention the Dowager’s upside down horse. Yes old Silverheels as he is now known. It remains one of Whaley’s great unsolved mysteries despite late night search parties from the corner shop as organised by Jake, the one true Royal on the Town Council. And the only one who, it seems, is able to take a bit of fun and has a sense of humour.

Watch this space because I suspect that is what this post will become when the good Councillors who read but do not contribute spot it.

So maybe it’s a fond farewell from me. I’m apparently already on a yellow card.

R. S-S

Gnatalee wrote:

R. S-S

I love the list of discussion topics on the old forum - my particular favourite is Dickie's skull. As a small child I was told this story and whenever we passed the house on the way to Chapel I was very wary. In fact, when we went to Chapel a couple of weeks ago I mentioned Dickie's Skull to my Dad, but I don't think he was particularly interested at that time !

Gnats

Gnatalee  
#13 Posted : 20 June 2009 13:39:00(UTC)
Gnatalee

Ref-er-ee !!!

You can't be serious !

I have been enjoying the posts on this forum - always informative, humorous, helpful and friendly (apart from the odd complaint). I notice that there are a lot more people getting involved and posting, which is a positive thing as well. And you R. S-S, have been helpful in a "beyond the call of duty" sort of way regarding my family history and which I very much appreciate.

Cllrs of Whaley Bridge - lighten-up ! This forum is a valuable resource - especially for people living away from the village (like me !) who are interested in the history of the place.

Gnats

Edited by user 20 June 2009 13:40:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nigel  
#14 Posted : 20 June 2009 14:38:34(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Good afternoon R.S-S.

It is only when you list the topics discussed on the previous Forum that I realised what a vibrant and interesting medium for open discussion and debate we had prior to this Town Council censored Forum. It would be a real shame if the postings from the old Forum were lost forever.

I for one would welcome revisiting the contents of the old Forum and though I accept new contributions would not be allowed perhaps there could be some way for allowing the content of the old Forum to be accessed. I am not sure who would be able to facilitate this but I think Cllr Jon Goldfinch would be the best starting point.

Any thoughts?

george  
#15 Posted : 20 June 2009 15:33:01(UTC)
george

Hi R S-S,

I hope you don't drop out, you come up with a lot of information on a variety of topics with all your knowledge and resources to call on.

I must admit I like the new format and being easy to find new postings saves time and strain on my eyes. The contributions are up to us! The negative comments remined me of a saying of Abraham Lincoln, "He who has the heart to help has the right to criticize" so, perhaps people who are not happy would like show us how to do things better.

george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 20 June 2009 17:08:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello George,

It’s always lovely to hear from you my old friend.

I did not realise that you were straining your eyes reading this inane drivel. So from now I shall increase the size of my text.

There.

How’s that?

Not out.

Well not yet anyway.

R. S-S
george  
#17 Posted : 20 June 2009 18:59:35(UTC)
george

Many thanks R S-S.

george

CllrJonG  
#18 Posted : 20 June 2009 23:51:15(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi All,

Regarding the old forum, we are having a look to see if we can recover anything, but it may not be possible to recover anything more than the most recent posts.

If it is recovered, i am not certain if it is possibe to reintroduce it into the new forum, unless we just pop the trail(s) into a large document(s) and post them.

One of the important points about the new forum is that because it is locally hosted, we can archive everything so it is not just lost into the ether.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 21 June 2009 09:46:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good Morning all on this the longest day,

Firstly to Frankie and Rockbanker:

In 1834 John William Jodrell leased Factory and lands to Messrs Garton for £70.00 per annum. This became Botany works.
The land stretched up Taxal and the Goyt Valley as far as the weir where the monitoring house still stands. This is where the flow of water was taken from to run the factory. It went into Taxal Duck Pond and then via pipes to the Works. Below the Mansion House known as Taxal Lodge Botany were able to enjoy a certain flow of water issuing from a pool or a spring of water. This has become known as ‘The Jug and Spoon’ and a fine construction it still is today.
The ‘Jug and Spoon’ is situated in land known as The Pleasure Ground.

On this ground the Jodrell’s had a small rifle range and they used to shoot at targets in the banking on the other side of the river. When they were indulging in this pastime a large flag was raised just below Taxal gate to warn people to keep their heads down. There is no trace of the flagpole today.

Secondly to Horwich Ender:

Do you think I might be a little foolish posting the above historical information which we now know is read and censored by our local Councillors? Do you think there is a possibility of the introduction of a new local by-law which would allow the reopening of the rifle range?
One of our good Councillors has already somehow obtained the access towards the Pleasure Ground and it would be a simple task to set up the range once more. Anyone having a bit of a joke at any Councillor’s expense could be rounded up by the forum police and marched down through Taxal Gate to the banking and ceremonially shot.

Keep your doors locked.

R. S-S

Type size for George’s benefit.

Horwich Ender  
#20 Posted : 21 June 2009 15:34:18(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Dear R. S-S
It would appear your days are numbered. You have well and truly overstepped the mark by revealing the location of the councils Pleasure Ground. It is only a matter of time before you are frogmarched past the Duck Pond where you will be offered a final drink from the Jug and Spoon before you receive the appropriate punishment Town Council style. 

Any last requests?