logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Friendlybrit  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2013 16:58:58(UTC)
Friendlybrit

Groups: Member

I am a 65- year old Scouser ( from the Dingle, then moved to West-Derby, Liverpool) living in Toronto, Canada for 40 plus years. I am interested in finding out more about the Taxal Edge Convalescent Home as I am in search of some painful memories of my past. All I know is tha I was shipped there sometime between 1955-1957 and was not told the reason why, nor knew at the time, whether I would be returning home again. I remember long walks to church on Sunday, a very hilly landscape, fording a stream, seeing sheep and shepherds, visiting the crash site of a German bomber, a cinder path to church, old English stone walls. 4-6 boys in one room, bunk beds, communal shower supervised, sparse breakfast, toast sometimes one piece of bacon. No recollection of friendly staff. there was a games room in a separate building which was restricted. Unven playground or field not suited for playing football. Was told,when I was leaving that I had not gained any weight. I do not recall being sick at the time though at around age 7 I was hospitalized and kept in isolation for some illness. My younger sisters were shipped off to relatives and then a home elsewhere at the same time as I was sent to the boys home.
If anyone can share recollections, shed light on my story, explain anything, share photos of the sites, the exact address etc. I would be very grateful.

Sincerely,

John Longstaff
BarryRudd  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2013 18:14:32(UTC)
BarryRudd

Hi John

Sounds grim!  Unbelievably, children were often sent away and treated in this manner certainly as late as the 70's and many are still searching for answers.

Have you tried using Google earth to have a look around the area  the church is at SK23 7DY (type this UK postcode into the search box). And the "home" is just to the North.

Cheers

Edited by user 06 January 2013 18:52:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Gate.jpg (393kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
Friendlybrit  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2013 19:51:26(UTC)
Friendlybrit

Thx Barry, will check it out. Cheers. John.
JonG  
#4 Posted : 06 January 2013 20:07:17(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

Have you seen this thread on the forum.

http://www.whaleybridge.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=723

Try a search for other threads using  'Taxal' as the search term to find other nfo.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Friendlybrit  
#5 Posted : 06 January 2013 21:58:16(UTC)
Friendlybrit

Thank you Jon, would love to acquire photographs of the grounds and or interior of this place. The Liverpool social services may still have records. Whether they would release the information I require is another story. All I can do is try. I've had people tell me it's best to leave the past in the past. I am only on this journey because I started for some reason to get flashbacks ten years ago. The first was when I saw a show about an orphanage on tv. Then one time making a single bed. I became quite emotional each time. Hence my search. I wish to thank you again for your posting. Cheers.....John.
Ferni  
#6 Posted : 07 January 2013 09:35:10(UTC)
Ferni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hiya John...

as a child born and raised on nearby Shallcross estate ( acorss the fields from Taxal ) I remember Taxal Lodge very well. 

I remember each summer there'd be a garden party and the boys would sell woodwork projects they'd made in classes. I still own a green footstool I bought from there - must be 1974 or something like that. The parties were great fun for us: coconut shys, tours round the school, proper garden party kind of games, you'll probably recall better than I if they did them when you were there.

You're aware  there were 2 children's homes in Taxal: the Lodge and the Edge. The Lodge was for children from broken homes etc. and the Edge ( about 400 yards away up the hill ) was eventually for children who had come before the children's court.

The Lodge was built by 'Cotton' Jodrell ( of The Jodrell Arms, Jodrell Bank , and practically the 'owners' of Whaley Bridge at its zenith of the industrial revolution) .

I've just found this ( tragic) link to a current state of the Lodge - currently for sale at £900k - which you'll recognise in an instant if it's the one you stayed at.    http://morningstar-cyberwear.com/?p=224

this link gives a better insight to the Jodrells in whose home you probably never realised you were so honoured to live.

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/applications/dserve/dserve.exe?dsqServer=V-AP02&dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=Show.tcl&dsqSearch=(RefNo=='D6539')

remember the jug and spoon down the garden near the river?

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
BarryRudd  
#7 Posted : 07 January 2013 20:28:14(UTC)
BarryRudd

John

Please e mail me at barry@mobelec.co.uk I have some photos for you

Cheers

Friendlybrit  
#8 Posted : 07 January 2013 22:31:24(UTC)
Friendlybrit

Thx Barry. Have emailed you re photos. Do not recollect all those goodies Fernie talks about.????
BarryRudd  
#9 Posted : 07 January 2013 22:53:14(UTC)
BarryRudd

I knew you wouldn't :-) somehow

I'm sure the Beadle put on a good spread once a year at the workhouse open day but Oliver had to "ask for more" 365 days a year.

I've no doubt that some would feel privilaged to live in a house once owned by gentry who somehow owned a town.  But I feel that a young child would prefer the perhaps more humble warm, security and comforting home of its parents and perhaps not appreciate his good fortune.

Cheers

Glad you made contact

Edited by user 11 January 2013 00:07:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Friendlybrit  
#10 Posted : 07 January 2013 23:00:41(UTC)
Friendlybrit

Thx Barry, what about photos".......
BarryRudd  
#11 Posted : 07 January 2013 23:11:49(UTC)
BarryRudd

Found these links and took some photos today but misty so will send some tomorrow- one of the Ford, Taxal Church and the place today

Cheers

http://www.francisfrith.com/taxal/memories/#utmcsr=google.co.uk&utmcmd=referral&utmccn=google.co.uk

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/69441-Taxel-Lodge-Whaley-Bridge-March-2012

also send any requests for photos of today's Whaley Bridge and you will have them tomorrow

Edited by user 07 January 2013 23:24:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BarryRudd  
#12 Posted : 10 January 2013 23:19:23(UTC)
BarryRudd

These are images of "Taxal Edge" today

In the 1950's it was a Convalescent home for boys with chest problems where they were sent to get away from the smog of Manchester and Liverpool.

There were then several changes of use

In the early sixties according to eye witness accounts the Edge was occupied by people that frequently scratched cars on Macc road and not too popular with residents.  

Taxal Lodge on the other hand was occupied by children that were sent there by the local authorities of the day.

Cheers

Edited by user 11 January 2013 05:32:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Taxal Edge 1.JPG (811kb) downloaded 188 time(s).
Taxal Edge entrance.JPG (798kb) downloaded 167 time(s).
Edge 2.JPG (832kb) downloaded 134 time(s).
BarryRudd  
#13 Posted : 10 January 2013 23:32:30(UTC)
BarryRudd

Now some pictures of the Lodge.

Edited by user 11 January 2013 05:31:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Lodge 3.JPG (806kb) downloaded 107 time(s).
Lodge interior 1.JPG (714kb) downloaded 78 time(s).
View from lodge door.JPG (808kb) downloaded 76 time(s).
Lodge entrance.JPG (754kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
Jug and spoon.JPG (823kb) downloaded 78 time(s).
Lodge stairs.JPG (705kb) downloaded 45 time(s).
Lodge 5.JPG (804kb) downloaded 42 time(s).
Lodge boiler house.JPG (809kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
Lodge path gate.JPG (792kb) downloaded 55 time(s).
BarryRudd  
#14 Posted : 10 January 2013 23:48:55(UTC)
BarryRudd

Locations of Taxal Edge and Taxal Lodge

Edited by user 10 January 2013 23:50:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BarryRudd attached the following image(s):
Taxal Lodge and Edge.jpg
Friendlybrit  
#15 Posted : 11 January 2013 03:10:03(UTC)
Friendlybrit

Greetings Barry, thanks so much for the info and photographs of the Taxal Edge. Hopefully they will in time trigger other memories. Up till now I do not remember any thing in the positive. I was probably there for three or four months. Strangely though I do not recollect being sick at all. I do remember when I was about to leave I was examined by a doctor and attending nurse and they seemed annoyed with me for not gaining weight. At least that's how I took it. I know when I arrived back home I was terrified of doing anything wrong as I had it in my mind I would be sent away again. As I look back in my life this experience plus am sure others had a lot to do with my constant battle with self esteem. I am not sorry as yet I decided to reflect on my past. I would wrather have it out in the open where I can deal with it peace meal if you like. A book I recently read "Full Catastophy Living" has helped me become more aware of the self. It's definitely a good read. Author..Jon Kabet Zinn. I will be comming home this May or June to see friends and some family. Hopefully have the courage to check Taxal edge out personally. Cheers for now. John.
Friendlybrit  
#16 Posted : 11 January 2013 03:10:49(UTC)
Friendlybrit

Greetings Barry, thanks so much for the info and photographs of the Taxal Edge. Hopefully they will in time trigger other memories. Up till now I do not remember any thing in the positive. I was probably there for three or four months. Strangely though I do not recollect being sick at all. I do remember when I was about to leave I was examined by a doctor and attending nurse and they seemed annoyed with me for not gaining weight. At least that's how I took it. I know when I arrived back home I was terrified of doing anything wrong as I had it in my mind I would be sent away again. As I look back in my life this experience plus am sure others had a lot to do with my constant battle with self esteem. I am not sorry as yet I decided to reflect on my past. I would wrather have it out in the open where I can deal with it peace meal if you like. A book I recently read "Full Catastophy Living" has helped me become more aware of the self. It's definitely a good read. Author..Jon Kabet Zinn. I will be comming home this May or June to see friends and some family. Hopefully have the courage to check Taxal edge out personally. Cheers for now. John.
captain1959  
#17 Posted : 22 January 2013 01:45:24(UTC)
captain1959

I was at this god forsaken place in 1969/70 due to being ill with liver disease in previous months and was sent there to recouperate. on arrival there i was stripped and given a bath and handed some ill fitting clothes. to cut a long story short i was sexually abused there, had chicken pox and badly scarred my elbow (all in one month!) my abuser,who was one of the guys in charge left suddenly with a week of my stay there left to run (maybe was fired but who knows) the last week was a bit more bearable as i wasnt frightened of going to sleep in the dorms at night as the guy had left and i had my 10th birthday there also in the last week. in 2001 i finally plucked up the courage to go to the police as they urged people to come forward. i gave a statement and months later they got back to me to say the abuser couldnt be traced.

Edited by moderator 22 January 2013 19:07:21(UTC)  | Reason: Removed out of context text after move from other thread.

BarryRudd  
#18 Posted : 22 January 2013 09:24:41(UTC)
BarryRudd