logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
buggyite  
#1 Posted : 25 January 2013 11:58:17(UTC)
buggyite

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I have started a new thread here in the general discussion about yet another interesting history thread degenerating into sniping again.

I don't want to add to that thread with my own views on copyright as it detracts from the purpose of the thread, and it would be hypocritical for me to complain of others going off-topic whilst putting my own two-pennorth in.

It does seem a little like mountains being made out of molehills, BUT, had I been the photographer,  I would have been disappointed not to have been contacted to see if I minded one of my copyrighted photos being posted publicly.

However, I feel that the issue has been greatly exarcerbated by the way (as always) that criticisms have to done in public. I cannot think of a better reason to provide a private messaging function than as a way to handle these things outside of public glare. Surely a PM exchange between Nev and R S-S could have cleared this up amicably without the rest of us feeling the need to put our opinions in, whilst not knowing the full story.

So, to try and stimulate discussion, what does everyone else think about having a private message function?

Should we try and keep History threads more on-topic?

Feel free to bring any arguments arising from History topics here instead so the History section remains as an extremely useful and informative place for those interested in Whaley (and area) history.

Finally, apologies from me for hijacking the Corn Mills, Goats, Leats thread to discuss proposed extensions of the canal to Chapel MIlton.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
davethescope  
#2 Posted : 25 January 2013 12:31:00(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I agree that a Private Message function, bringing us into the 21st century, is a most desirable thing. I can see no argument against it since one is under no compulsion to read, let alone reply to PMs.

As for keeping things on topic: mustn't be done too thoroughly since very interesting topics - topics which might not have otherwise been introduced - often arise on sidetracks. Ideally the moderator would split a topic as soon as he realises it has been sidetracked, starting a new thread for the side track.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
NevClarke  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2013 17:18:50(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Wholeheartedly agree. Keeps anonymity for users who wish to remain anonymous as well.

“It all sounds like the sort of scheme Elmer Fudd might dream up while drunk.”

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com
tyke  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2013 17:22:26(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

I agree to the above...... maybe we could have a like button as well ........ oh no that's been done!! But yes might keep the "discussions" in the background.
davethescope  
#5 Posted : 26 January 2013 19:17:06(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

NevClarke wrote:
Wholeheartedly agree. Keeps anonymity for users who wish to remain anonymous as well.

Anonymity is the curse of this and every other forum. It allows people to behave in boorish and anti-social ways without fear of the usual sanctions.

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
NevClarke  
#6 Posted : 26 January 2013 20:17:32(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

Dave, my feelings on anonymity are well and truly on record. I don't understand why people would want to be anonymous but I have been told to leave the subject alone both on this forum and when I have mentioned to members of the web group. That is not to say that some members do not agree. Maybe it's time to open up the debate again. I just don't think that I'm the right person to start it.

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com
BarryRudd  
#7 Posted : 26 January 2013 22:02:20(UTC)
BarryRudd

Anonymity must end on this forum.

I am a member of several forums for my trade.

One set up by a well meaning individual at great expense of both time and money was a total disaster due to anonymity and the accompanying lack of accountability.  The result was that the huge data base that was built up by members was lost forever when the forum host pulled the plug.

Our new forums are by contrast a most civil place whereby our contact details are published and bigots and  bullies are soon banished.

Anonymity on this forum will end very soon, in fact I suggest by midnight tonight as the current state of affairs is not good for Whaley Bridge and will stop people with multiple identities from replying to their own posts to elevate its importance.

At the moment we have a ridiculous state of affairs whereby some members are open about their identity, some have a user name but do not attempt to hide their ID, others take pains to hide their ID and those who have multiple IDs who chat to themselves. Many of us know who is really who.

This needs to cease

Cheers

Edited by user 26 January 2013 22:27:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
towpath tommy  
#8 Posted : 26 January 2013 23:13:47(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

I used a "username" as I thought that was what was required. I have NOTHING to hide and therefore no hidden agenda. My name is DAVE PEART I can usually be found around the towpath at weekends when the weather is good and travel over Woodhead permits.
Towpath Tommy ( Dave Peart ) thinks a day without laughter is a day wasted
RockBanker  
#9 Posted : 27 January 2013 00:48:00(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

The vast majority of the constructive posts to this forum are made by anonymous contributors. The vast majority of posts made by anonymous contributors are constructive. There is not a major problem.  

The clear advice given by many impartial agencies is to not reveal ones identity on the internet. This is sensible advice.   
There is no practical method for the administrators to verify the identity of any contributor to these forums.  Even if such a method existed it would act as a disincentive to anyone joining the forums, to our collective loss.

I remain,
Yours anonymously,
RockBanker
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Wanderer returns  
#10 Posted : 27 January 2013 07:22:30(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I'm with RockBanker on this one and do not believe that there is any need for people to give their names out. The administrators have the powers to pull the plug on people who disrespect others so there is absolutely no need.
davethescope  
#11 Posted : 27 January 2013 10:06:12(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Wanderer returns wrote:
I'm with RockBanker on this one and do not believe that there is any need for people to give their names out. The administrators have the powers to pull the plug on people who disrespect others so there is absolutely no need.

But, because of anonymity, people who are pulled can return immediately under another username. My question to the anonymous users is: "What do you have to hide?"
Digger  
#12 Posted : 27 January 2013 10:50:43(UTC)
Digger

davethescope wrote:
Wanderer returns wrote:
But, because of anonymity, people who are pulled can return immediately under another username. My question to the anonymous users is: "What do you have to hide?"

I use a "tag" because I do not want to give hackers any clues to my identity, this makes their task harder. I do not use my name in any e-mail address for the same reason.

Nor do I want anyone posting threads in my name on this forum or any other which could possibly cause problems.

If it is necessary for anyone to know my name they can have it, but only if there is a good reason.

davethescope  
#13 Posted : 27 January 2013 11:12:05(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Why does the word "Paranoia" spring to my mind? Even if they are out to get you in the ways you fear there are ample tools to protect yourself.

It is necessary to know a poster's name so that one can decide whether or not to take his postings seriously. When Buggyite pontificates about steam traction I know that I can trust what he says because I know who he is and that he is indeed an expert on the subject. If I didn't know him there would be no provenance for his opinions. Similarly with Norman and RSS on local history.

But when Towpath Tommy talks about canal boats I don't know whether his boating experience is confined to the bath or extends to the whole of the country. (No disrespect intended TT)

Edited by user 27 January 2013 11:21:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#14 Posted : 27 January 2013 11:55:39(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I used a pseudonym (Robert Stephenson-Smythe) when I first came on the old forum. It is the only one I have posted under both on the current and past forum.

My first post was in connection with the proposed allotments in Carr Meadow and the access.

The name is the former name (or close enough) to Lord Baden Powell’s real name.

I explained, via the forum, that Carr Meadow had been bought at auction at the Ram’s Head in Disley by John Morten many years ago and he had donated it to Lord Baden Powell and it in turn was given over to the First Taxal Scout Group which would not permit any development of Carr Meadow.

It was a spoof if you like but the plans were dropped shortly after.

I had no intention of contributing further until a well-known historian, sadly no longer with us, asked certain questions on the same thread and I answered them.

It developed from a traffic/dog muck forum into a good historical library in parts.

At the time I was working with Council Officers and some Councillors and I thought it best to use my pseudonym and that is how I intend to proceed if this forum continues, which I very much doubt by the way.

Yes I have an extensive collection of Whaley Bridge memorabilia and of all the other villages around here. Most of the stuff has been given to me but some I have spent a lot of money on and I know it is only of value to me and anyone interested in local history. Only the other day a lady brought me a framed photo of a parade in Horwich End.

Shallcross is a similar collector as me although I feel he has the bigger and much better collection. We have both tried to unravel and the history behind the photos that have been put on, not just by us but by other contributors as well. Look at the Horwich End Celebration thread started by Curious: a fountain across the road from Nev’s house. At first I thought it was a mock-up but when I checked back in my records I found it was indeed true and possibly the best photo to have appeared on the forum.

All my records, photos, books, post cards etc are boxed up and eventually I shall pass them on to JonG and he can do with them how he sees fit.

All the good historical stuff on the forum, except for George's contributions (George is an exceptional person and a good friend by the way and of course he knows me), has been put on by anonymous people as far as i can see and I do not need to name them on here.

So even though midnight has come and gone we can, if we wish post under our forum identities.

As I say I have used one name and one name only. I have had a few posts modified by the moderators and I have never had any problem with that. That is why they are there.

I have not been banned and then come back under a different name on an almost weekly basis as a certain person has.

If I continue to try to add to the historical knowledge of Whaley Bridge I will do so under this name alone.

R. S-S

Edited by moderator 29 January 2013 16:56:21(UTC)  | Reason: minor

towpath tommy  
#15 Posted : 27 January 2013 12:39:36(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

I think that everyone has the right to remain anonymous if they so wish. I enjoy using this site when it is not being messed around with or abused by people who keep changing their user names and replying to their own posts or "doctoring" images. I hope the site continues as it is a valuable asset to Whaley Bridge and anyone else who choses to view it. I am unable to contribute historical knowledge to the site but welcome and enjoy the contributions from people who can and do use the site appropriately. I just feel sad that we keep coming back to these problems time & time again and hope the moderators CAN do something to change the situation. I brought my narrowboat to Whaley Bridge rather than take it anywhere else in the country as I have visited Whaley for many years and love the place and would like to be more involved in activities and creating some "history" for as we are all well aware today is tomorrows history..
Towpath Tommy ( Dave Peart ) thinks a day without laughter is a day wasted
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 27 January 2013 13:05:01(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Towpath Tommy,

Do you keep hens on your narrow boat or do you get eggs out of the hen-coat at the basin? Have you seen the size of the bantams?

On the other hand perhaps it’s gone now I’ll have a walk down to see a bit later.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#17 Posted : 27 January 2013 13:44:04(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

NevClarke wrote:

Right he's for anonymity.

NevClarke wrote:
Dave, my feelings on anonymity are well and truly on record. I don't understand why people would want to be anonymous but I have been told to leave the subject alone both on this forum and when I have mentioned to members of the web group. That is not to say that some members do not agree. Maybe it's time to open up the debate again. I just don't think that I'm the right person to start it.

No correction now he's against it.

BarryRudd wrote:

It nice to see more recent history photos as I'm sure we sometimes forget what it was like before the A6 By pass

Except that the bypass had been open 3 years before that photo.

NevClarke wrote:

However, they wish to remain anonymous and have asked me to liaise with Robert

He's for anonymity again.

Well you tell me is he for it or agin it?

R. S-S

buggyite  
#18 Posted : 27 January 2013 13:48:11(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Thats a cracking photo of the tippler shed where railway wagons would be discharged into narrow boats. The water is very still, resulting in almost perfect reflections.

Can you put it into the history folder please, where it is more appropriate.

Do you have a date for it?

If not, I would put it post 1922, as one of the wagons in the printworks yard has "LMS" on it, but prior to the mid-1930s when the new line to the new boilerhouse was put in.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 27 January 2013 14:06:01(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Most certainly in the 30's Buggyite.

R. S-S

NevClarke  
#20 Posted : 27 January 2013 14:34:15(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

RSS

Thank you for your continued pouring over my every word. Most touched.

The rules are what they are. As it stands users can remain anonymous if they so desire.

As a sensible and sensitive person recognise that some feel very strongly about this and made accommodation for that in my advocacy of a personal message facility.

I do not name people publicly who have asked me to make representation on their behalf, had you emailed me in answer to my original question I feel sure I would have been able to reveal the name of the party who engaged me.

I also think that there is a difference between someone revealing their name and you attempting to reveal my address to the forum.

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com