logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
george  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2009 14:38:13(UTC)
george

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Greetimgs all,            

On some of my frequent trips to or past the car park near the medical practice I  see people looking lost or asking for the canal basin. I would like to apply for the part-time job of giving directions and promoting W.B. Alternately suggest signs are used (the only non-car park sign is one indicating the public footpath up Chapel Street) to the canal basin, reservoir and the shops. My wife would prefer the former she wants to get me out of the way!

george

Jake  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2009 16:20:57(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I have always liked your public spirit, I fear the job would be unpaid, but it would appear that you would make your wife a very happy woman.

You can't win them all hey George.

Seriously I'm sure one of my Council colleagues will pick up on this one, Perhaps you could e-mail the Town Clerk with your suggestion.

Jake
tyke  
#3 Posted : 27 June 2009 09:08:37(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
How about a small tourist information board as well? Having traveled around the country many small towns and villages i've been to, many, with less to offer than Whaley seem to have much more information available to encourage visitors. So yes lets promote out home village/town better.
Over the hill but not far away  
#4 Posted : 27 June 2009 23:20:10(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

"Canal Basin" Hmmm-just what are they expecting "the basin experience" maybe a heritage centre or industrial theme park with life like figures in Victorian costume.

So I arrive in Whaley by road or rail and park at the station or  the car park and I wander around like Mr Bean looking for a canal--we have an excellent optician in town!

The canal is that long thin thing with water in it, ducks and colourful boats with colourful people in them upon it. The basin is the basin shaped  bit at the end. OK an information board but what you see is what you get. The buildings are long overdue some restorative work though and this should  be a priority and at least as important as the Jodrell.

Cheers

Edited by user 28 June 2009 08:56:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jake  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2009 16:07:15(UTC)

British Waterways have had a feasability study done on the transhipment warehouse to look at the various options for the restoration,use of the building and the surrounding area. The money for the study was provided by EMDA .I think BW now have a preferred option plan and are at the stage of looking to finance the project. The development ties in with the HPBC masterplan for the second bridge which is shortly going to be presented to DDEP and DDC looking for substantial funding for the project.

The original money for these studies was provided by these larger bodies and appear to have given all concerned the sort of encouragement that they would like to see these developments move forward. Nothing is of course guaranteed at this stage but one thing is for sure some serious work is being undertaken by all those involved to move these thing forward with the objective of improving the whole area.

Jake

Edited by user 28 June 2009 16:09:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2009 20:44:50(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi over the hill

On Friday morning tempted out by the beautiful weather I went down the tow path as far as Tesco and back again.After meeting some locals I met a couple who were visitors and got into conversation they came from Hull and had parked in the car park found the canal basin and walked down the tow path they were delighted with the area.  Likewise another couple I met a few minutes later lived at Exmouth Devon, again were delighted with what they saw. Both couples were interest in Whaley Bridge I suggested,If they had time, they went to reservoir and walked along fishermans walk. Some people see different things.

george

tyke  
#7 Posted : 29 June 2009 08:22:11(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Having done my stint helping with the Whaley Waltz.... (therefore missed the carnival parade so cannot comment) I was relaxing with a quiet pint in one of our local hostelries a couple came in and asked where they could get food in a pub. (Again) the answer is you can't. Whaley has many attractions like the canal, it it is a good start point for those walking the Goyt Valley indeed many different things but it needs a couple of hostelries at least to do food with beer even if only on a weekend. Whether you are just strolling on the towpath visiting by boat, or hill walking there is nothing better than treating yourself to a meal out now and then. The Jodrell is supposed to be doing that when it opens but I'm sure we would all like to know WHEN! This situation IS letting Whaley down It is getting a bit of a reputation as a place not to stay when visiting by boat, Yes you can eat (at Bella's Teasels, fennel) but many want a pint of beer (we have that) as well as good honest food at least at weekends.
RockBanker  
#8 Posted : 30 June 2009 14:04:08(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
With the possible exception of the Shep's (which did have an arrangement for filled rolls etc a few years ago), I think just about every pub in Whaley has tried offering hot food in the last ten years or so, and none of them have been successful. Whether it was due to lack of customer interest or lack of quality control by the proprieters I would not like to say. We generally eat out 2 or 3 times a month locally - usually at the D&P,Buggy Navvy, Old Hall Whitehough or Shady Oak - All within walking distance for us. We used to be regulars at the Jodrell for meals when Jackie Bond was there. On the whole I would say that a pub has to be large enough to have diners and drinkers in seperate areas. Not everyone out dining as a family wants to have to share the same space as some of our local 'characters' after their seventh pint - So that probably rules out most of my favourite drinking dens.
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Horwich Ender  
#9 Posted : 03 July 2009 19:18:55(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Hi George

I think your suggestion for a signpost at the Bingswood car park is an excellent idea. I would suggest a fingerpost similar to the one at the bottom of the station approach would be ideal. The problem I think you will encounter is the bureaucratic nature of the councils who ultimately decide whether or not a signpost is appropriate. The process would probably be as follows:

You make your suggestion to Whaley Bridge Town Council.

The Town Clerk refers to High Peak Borough Council.

High Peak Borough Council refer to Derbyshire County Council.

DCC give your suggestion to the man in charge of signpost locations.

Reference is then made to the officer in charge of the conservation area.

A feasibility study is undertaken.

Tenders and costings are requested and acquired

Details are provided to the finance department.

The request is turned down on the grounds it will cost too much.

Nigel  
#10 Posted : 03 July 2009 19:45:35(UTC)

It may be worth getting in touch with Cllr Tony Bingham. He is earning a reputation as a councillor who gets things done. More action rather than words. I have been told the pot hole/water problem at the Jodrell Road/Williamson Road junction was quickly rectified once Cllr Bingham had been informed of the situation. His contact details can be found on the High Peak Borough Council Website.

David  
#11 Posted : 03 July 2009 21:04:31(UTC)
David

I wouldn't bother contacting Tom Levitt MP. If Brian Sutton's letter in this weeks Buxton Advertiser is correct it could possibly take 4 years for you to get a response.

Fedup  
#12 Posted : 09 July 2009 21:03:54(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Oh let's be fair. Our Tom's very good at writing back to say it has nothing to do with him, whatever the problem.
Horwich Ender  
#13 Posted : 10 July 2009 11:16:17(UTC)
Horwich Ender

He may write back but taking more than four years to reply is stretching it a bit.

Scuba Man  
#14 Posted : 10 July 2009 17:13:24(UTC)

I am told our local MP is widely known as “Tom Leave it” in Buxton.