logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stress'ed2013  
#1 Posted : 10 April 2013 16:23:42(UTC)
Stress'ed2013

Groups: Member
United Kingdom

Does anyone have any information on the commercial unit sandwiched between the train line and Old Rd, beyond Stanways Electrical?

I believe that it is some kind of builders merchant, but it seems to be more of a stock-car storage and repair facility from what I can fathom!

I ask because I live in the vicinity and am getting a bit 'frustrated' (translated for diplomacy) by the noise of revving engines, angle grinders and panel beaters every weekend!

Any knowledge / experience of this much appreciated.
NevClarke  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2013 18:31:54(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
You could try asking Martin at the Drum and Monkey. He used to rent one of the units and it's a good excuse to pay a visit.

Edited by user 10 April 2013 18:32:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“It all sounds like the sort of scheme Elmer Fudd might dream up while drunk.”

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com
pizzabutty  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2013 19:22:49(UTC)
pizzabutty

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The top part of the yard is rented out to some lads who do banger racing, the bottom part of the yard is used as a garage to service and mend wagons. If you have any issues to discuss on the 'official/unofficial' stories on the yard, I would be happy to talk to you. Similarly, if you have a grievance about people on the site I will give you my number in a private message.
pensionman  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2013 07:31:41(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Nev, Martin moved out of the Drum about 3/4 weeks ago & has gone south, so you won't be able to catch him there anymore. Simon has taken over the running of the Drum now.
Stress'ed2013  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2013 13:40:20(UTC)
Stress'ed2013

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: pizzabutty Go to Quoted Post
The top part of the yard is rented out to some lads who do banger racing, the bottom part of the yard is used as a garage to service and mend wagons. If you have any issues to discuss on the 'official/unofficial' stories on the yard, I would be happy to talk to you. Similarly, if you have a grievance about people on the site I will give you my number in a private message.

Thanks for the suggestions and info. Pizzabutty, that sounds interesting, I would appreciate that number.
pizzabutty  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2013 22:20:10(UTC)
pizzabutty

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
........ and for my next trick, I'll figure out how to send a private message :-/
KGP  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2013 10:03:27(UTC)
KGP

United Kingdom

I too find the recent change of use of Gisbourne Yard stressful. It's unacceptable that such an activity is permitted so close to residences. However, I've done some research and found that outline planning has been submitted to HPBC for the building of some houses in the yard. Anyone who is concerned about the activities in Gisbourne Yard, not just noise but the fire risk the current use poses, should contact the local councillor (elections are just round the corner!!) and support a residential development.I have already done so.

Edited by user 23 April 2013 10:07:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Trummerfrau  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2013 19:11:22(UTC)
Trummerfrau

May I suggest to take up the offer of pizzabutty to discuss one to one to answer any issues. The chaps at the yard are friendly and approachable and you can if you want to pop down for a chat also . In farness it is an industrial site and has been for over a century, next to a. live railway. It's being used as a non commercial activity and some neighbourly agreement will be far more fruitful.
Stress'ed2013  
#9 Posted : 24 April 2013 19:33:07(UTC)
Stress'ed2013

United Kingdom

It's nice to hear you say that the lads are friendly Trummerfrau, but a neighbour has a different experience and I've been reluctant to go down there for fear of reprisals. I appreciate it is an industrial area but its use is specified for something completely different (and nowhere near as noisy).
I'm a Motorsport fan and not an unreasonable person, it's when it starts at 9.30am and goes on until well after 7pm that I take issue, that's just inconsiderate. This area's not just industrial it's also residential! I am also concerned about the fires down there as the smoke is quite noxious, I'm not sure what's being burned.
In fairness, it was much quieter last weekend, but I suspect the level of activity varies depending on local races (checking Buxton raceway website now)!
I would have that chat with Pizzabutty, but it seems neither of us know how to send a PM!
Trummerfrau  
#10 Posted : 24 April 2013 20:33:09(UTC)
Trummerfrau

Seriously, the guys are everyday folk who just like to have a hobby and definitely prefer to get along. I'm sure some agreed voluntary working hours could be agreed, etc. My neighbour used to repeatedly mow his lawn at 7.30am every Sunday morning until we had a chat and it got sorted. We didn't need a third party to sort it out. Infact we enjoy a beer no and again. My other neighbour loves his chimenea. We Don't ! He only does it now when nobodys washing it out. It's all about approach. If you can work out the PM system. We can chat more. Let me know! Cheers .
Trummerfrau  
#11 Posted : 24 April 2013 20:34:50(UTC)
Trummerfrau

I don't think this forum has a pm system! Any suggestions?
Stress'ed2013  
#12 Posted : 24 April 2013 20:42:52(UTC)
Stress'ed2013

United Kingdom

Thanks for that, it seems there is no PM option, but I'll give it some thunk!
Trummerfrau  
#13 Posted : 24 April 2013 20:53:07(UTC)
Trummerfrau

:)
KGP  
#14 Posted : 26 April 2013 15:23:02(UTC)
KGP

United Kingdom

It seems to me, Trummerfrau, you  may be one of the banger racing members or have a vested interest. Would any of the participants like this activity close to their homes? 

Whether or not, lets look at the facts:

The yard is an unsightly mess. I'm sure the guys are friendly, everyday folk, and it's irrelevant whether the activity is hobby or  commercial. Conversely, if it were commercial more regular working hours would be kept, thus  evening and weekend activity be would unnecessary.    The noise made by grinders, hammers and unsilenced engines is unacceptable. These activities can't be compared with a lawn mower!! Likewise, trains run one each way every hour, the noise last 20-30secs, so there's no comparison.

The area may be part industrial, but it is adjacent to residences. I understand the yard is licensed for the bagging of aggregates and building materials, has an application for change of use been made?

At the far end of the yard many vehicles are stacked  2 & 3 high.  I expect that the vehicles will contain residual fuel and oil. Most still contain flammable material inside (plastic trim, seats etc.) and are still fitted with tyres. In the event of a fire there is no way that the cottages overlooking the yard would escape. Has a risk assessment be made in conjunction with Derbyshire Fire Service and HPBC Environmental Health? I think not.

I agree with Stress'ed2013, the burning of waste is anti-social and hazardous. In fact the DOE will take a very dim view of it irrespective of the activity being commercial or  non-commercial. The waste is classed as commercial and industrial.

If Trummerfrau, Stress'ed2013 and Pizaabutty can arrange a chat I would like to participate.
Trummerfrau  
#15 Posted : 29 April 2013 16:34:13(UTC)
Trummerfrau

Woah KGP, Many presumptions! I just made a suggestion to take up pizzabuttys offer and the general point that communication if often the best starting point for a resolution. I was just trying to be helpful and give a couple of personal illustrations. If you are intent on ripping civilised discussion apart point by point from your keyboard, Ill bow out and leave you to it.
Stress'ed2013  
#16 Posted : 29 April 2013 17:25:51(UTC)
Stress'ed2013

United Kingdom

Thanks for the input KGP and Trummerfrau, it's always useful to get the balance of different sides.

In fairness, they have been quieter of late, perhaps it's just coincidence, or perhaps they have got wind of the fact their activities were causing so much upset. Time will tell.....

Shame this forum doesn't have a PM facility as without it, I think this discussion has achieved as much as it can do. Thanks for everyone's contributions though- much appreciated.

Stress'ed2013
KGP  
#17 Posted : 30 April 2013 09:50:04(UTC)
KGP

United Kingdom

Sorry Trummfrau, didn't intend to be presumptuous, or  to rip apart civilised discussions,  just stating facts. As Stress'ed2013 says, it has gone quieter these last few days but  previous experience suggests it won't last. Neither will the fire risk disappear without radically changing the yard.
Stress'ed2013  
#18 Posted : 04 May 2013 16:01:53(UTC)
Stress'ed2013

United Kingdom

Can I just say to the lads in the yard, I've just heard someone shouting 'no revving, no revving'! Sincerely, I really appreciate it. It's not about NO noise for me, it's about what's reasonable noise.
If the recent reduction in noise is deliberate because word has got to you about this discussion, thanks, it's been a much nicer place to be these last couple of weekends. Hope the racing goes well!

Stress'ed2013
VB  
#19 Posted : 26 May 2013 13:45:49(UTC)
VB

United Kingdom

So it was all going so well. We've had a few weekends of fairly quiet activity from the racing chaps down on the yard. No cars being excessively revved, hammering and grinding kept to reasonable hours, then......
The sun comes out and we have two solid days of grinding, hammering and revving, worse still it has gone on until the early hours of they evening, to be making excessive noise when children are heading for their beds is down right rude.
Earlier in this thread there is a comment that suggests that the lads are approachable and 'reasonable'. The evidence appears to be that they may be that but they aren't considerate.
As an ex-race team mechanic I am fully supportive of people getting out and doing their hobby, especially motorsport, what I don't have time for is blatant lack of regard for neighbours, we worked on our car when we knew that we wouldn't disturb others and kept the noise to a level that I'd say was reasonable. I suggested to my partner that we should follow them home and wreck the peace and quiet of their home to see if they like me being as unreasonable as they are.
NIMBY is something I wish to avoid and I think I am a pretty open minded chap, but when two days goes by of noise I feel I should stand up and be counted.
The noise complaint to the council had been suspended as our 'noisy' neighbours were being considerate, now it will be resurrected and the application for houses on the land will receive my 100% backing.
My only hope is that the application gets swift approval, the builders work quickly and we get to welcome our new neighbours very soon. In the meantime our councillors will be receiving my complaint....
KGP  
#20 Posted : 27 May 2013 09:21:17(UTC)
KGP

United Kingdom

VB is a new contributor to this forum issue, our numbers are growing. I support his comments entirely.

For anyone local to Gisbourne Yard who was not at home over the weekend, work ceased on Saturday after 19:45. Some engine revving and general hammering and grinding all day.

Sunday's noise was mainly due to the use of a petrol driven grinder being used to cut up lengths of steel box section. This was used in frequent burst throughout the afternoon. An electrical  grinder was almost continuous through the day. Two occasions where  un-silenced engines were run. The shouting and general "engineering" noise spoilt a sunny SUNDAY afternoon in the garden.

Early in the week I had a visit from a member of the HPBC Environmental Health Dept. I have been issued with a log-sheet for "Nuisance Investigation", which includes the burning of waste. I also understand that the Planning Dept are aware of the change of use.

I too am a motorsport fan and  don't want their hobby ruined,  but they should show a great deal more consideration to the local residents. It's Bank Holiday Monday............will it rain?????

I also hope that the recently posted development plans are passed and that the yard is quickly turned into a residential area.