logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ferni  
#21 Posted : 17 April 2013 08:38:24(UTC)
Ferni

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
That's very decent of you Kate and I thank you personally for stepping up ..

It looks like people are heading up there for around the 10am mark on.

Take bin liners and strong gloves..

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
chillyourbeans  
#22 Posted : 17 April 2013 09:05:12(UTC)
chillyourbeans

Hello I attended the party too, I will round up a few people for saturday aswell, many hands make light work! I must say a lot of people did a lot of tidying on the sunday morning. considering there was about 2000 people there it could have been a lot worse.
chillyourbeans  
#23 Posted : 17 April 2013 09:19:51(UTC)
chillyourbeans

How much rubbish is there? can somebody post some pictures so we know what to expect?
gamberini  
#24 Posted : 17 April 2013 10:32:21(UTC)
gamberini

Hi, I too was at the party, I personally helped to pick up a lot of litter, hand out bags to people etc - I do know also that at least one full van load of rubbish was taken away from the area and disposed off properly by the people organizing this. 

Hopefully there will be a fair few like minded souls coming down to try to help restore the place to how it was before - lots of people already worked hard the next day to attempt this but unfortunately it only takes one idiot with a spray can to ruin things for a lot more people.

If locals could put as much information re location of spray paint / any litter ( i think the main site was cleared quite a lot already ) I will pass this information on and hopefully we can sort this out.

Please note - the free party scene is not just a group of irresponsible teenagers - we do try to lessen the impact on people and surroundings - just wish we could also limit the idiot factor - something they've tried hard to do but with large scale parties like this its hard to keep them a secret from aforementioned idiots.

Ariadne  
#25 Posted : 18 April 2013 10:07:28(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I've avoided adding my tuppence of disapproval for the shenanigans... But I will say it is lovely to see some participants are decent enough to help rectify the damage.

As it seems some attendees are viewing this thread I thought I'd share this communication from Trisha Mellor at Derbyshire Alerts:

Police are appealing for information about a number of thefts which took place at a rave in the High Peak at the weekend.

Officers in Derbyshire were alerted to a large number of people arriving in the Goyt Valley area late on Saturday (April 13).

It is thought more than 3,000 people attended the event, which ran until early afternoon on Sunday (April 14). 

Following the event police received a number of calls about thefts of mobile phones, and other items.

A small number of people also reported being assaulted during the rave.

All the incidents occurred at the rural location where the rave was held in the early hours of Sunday.

Officers would like to speak to people who attended the event and witnessed any thefts or assaults taking place.

The offenders have been described as a group of young men wearing dark clothing.

A 22-year-old man from the Oldham area was arrested on suspicion of assault and possession with intent to supply Class A drugs. He has been released on bail pending further inquiries.

Anyone with information about the thefts is asked to contact Derbyshire police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 0800 555 111 FREE  end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

Kate Smith  
#26 Posted : 18 April 2013 21:03:57(UTC)
Kate Smith

United Kingdom

Thank you, I'll pass that message on I know a few people who had things stolen : (

OK So 10a.m on Saturday....Just wanted to check,,,,, there is still mess to clear up? we've not left it too late? 

And I know this might be a stupid question but is there anything we can do about the graffiti and if so what equipment do we need to bring?

Edited by user 18 April 2013 21:04:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

davethescope  
#27 Posted : 18 April 2013 23:03:14(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
The rubbish is, to some extant, excusable. It is simple thoughtlessness, something most of us have been guilty of. But the graffiti are something else - active, considered, vandalism.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
JonG  
#28 Posted : 18 April 2013 23:44:35(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi ,
I think we are all agreed on that Dave, and that includes Kate and Gamberini and Chillyourbeans, and others  who have offered to help with any tidy up, as they are just as unhappy as we are.
I dont know about the extent of the litter remaining following the litterpick that Nev apparently went on yesterday, but lets just go up there and spend a couple of hours doing what we can. I drove up he other day to the dam but didnt go further.Perhaps Nev can report back ? There will be rubbish to be removed, whether it remains there from the rave or otherwise. Regarding the graffiti, there is paint (white spray can cellulose )on the stone walls on the road down to the dam. Stiff Wire brushes would probably clean this off suitably. The disabled toilet door is another matter.  I have some suitable varnish and all the materials, but the door needs sanding down properly beforehand. It also needs to be unlocked while it is done.. I will try and find out tomorrow if it is ok to do this voluntarily as I dont want to get into trouble. The information board is plastic and has been tagged with red paint - How this can be removed without damaging the plastic board surface i dont know . Maybe we should just stick to what can be done easily and obviously. What the litter is like on the site and on the access routes to it I dont know.
I would bring gloves and bin bags and some stiff wire brushes as a starter. Reading on the Internet some anti-graffiti solvent spray and fine wire wool could be useful too, but perhaps this is best left to the experts ???
Many thanks to anyone who turns up. 
Do you want a lift on Saturday morning Dave - I can take 3 and can pick you up outside the Sheps on Old Rd entrance at 9.45 on Sat morning?
Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 18 April 2013 23:59:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
chillyourbeans  
#29 Posted : 19 April 2013 08:42:52(UTC)
chillyourbeans

I can get graffitti removal gel that should get rid of the graffitti on the door and sign without damaging it but i wont be able to get it by tomorrow
davethescope  
#30 Posted : 19 April 2013 09:05:06(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: JonG Go to Quoted Post

Do you want a lift on Saturday morning Dave - I can take 3 and can pick you up outside the Sheps on Old Rd entrance at 9.45 on Sat morning?
Cheers
Jon.

How long do you anticipate staying?  I have to be back for 1530 latest
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
JonG  
#31 Posted : 19 April 2013 10:01:11(UTC)
JonG

Hi Dave,
I'll be there for a couple of hours - back at 12pm.
CYB - Not to worry - if you cant get it for tomorrow then it doesn't matter.
Cheers

Jon.

NevClarke  
#32 Posted : 19 April 2013 10:32:59(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I suspect that there's not a lot left to do, although the wind has probably uncovered quite a bit.  Will try and post a photo later, bit tied up at the minute and struggling to find a stable internet connection. 

As for the graffiti remover, I wouldn't use it if there are any officials about.  The amount of risk review paperwork you'd have to go through before you were given the go ahead would make you weep more than the fumes would.

“It all sounds like the sort of scheme Elmer Fudd might dream up while drunk.”

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com
gamberini  
#33 Posted : 19 April 2013 11:49:29(UTC)
gamberini

Hi since posting last I've spoken to a few of the people involved in helping with the party and I do know a team of people have been visiting every day to help rectify the matter so there may be a considerable less amount of work than you may think.

Obviously though - you guys know the area better than we do so may find something my friends missed - there will still be people down at the weekend to help out.

What I would like to point out once again - the vast amount of free party goers are sentient human beings. There is a small minority of idiots AND another small minority of bad people who try to capitalize on the work of others by going there to steal from people - ironic considering the reason for the party that Thatcher's children are waiting at the end to get something for nothing ( much like the bankers whom she let loose on our economy ).

I'd like to thank the Daily Fail 'journalist' reading this forum - I use this term in the loosest possible terms - as a monkey could cut/past a few photos / text from this forum and police website - then add a few extra negative slants on top for good measure.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news...e-trail-destruction.html

What an absolute joke - attempting to demonize yet another group of people in society to keep your Tory purse strings taught. Once again my apologies to any of the residents and lovers of the countryside around the Goyt Valley ( I am one of the latter ) for any problems this week - I hope the response goes someway to showing the good will and respectful nature of the vast majority of the free party scene - which was sadly lacking in any way in the drivel in the Daily Hate.

Enjoy your summer - we certainly will :)
NevClarke  
#34 Posted : 19 April 2013 12:01:44(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
One of our team was on site today, as they were Sunday morning, in order to report on the Whaley Facebook page.

All the graffiti on the road signs and disabled toilet has now been removed.  There remains some on the dry stone wall over the dam and this will come off with a rotary wire brush on a battery drill.  Someone has already started it but ran out of power. 

In short, it's now probably not worth a large team litter picking on the site of the rave.  However, the road from Fernilee up to and including the Erwood turn off is still very badly littered and needs a lot of work.  Maybe it's worth concentrating efforts there.  As I can't be there tomorrow I wouldn't want to interfere.
NevClarke attached the following image(s):
Resize_P170109_12.35-1153512856.jpg

“It all sounds like the sort of scheme Elmer Fudd might dream up while drunk.”

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com
gamberini  
#35 Posted : 19 April 2013 12:45:38(UTC)
gamberini

Hi Nev - many thanks - i'll pass on this information to some of the guys down there cleaning up

chillyourbeans  
#36 Posted : 19 April 2013 14:32:13(UTC)
chillyourbeans

apparently most of the graffitt as gone the graffitti remover i have doesnt have fumes and is safe for people animals and the environment if its justthe stone wall i cant imagine it working on it anyway
davethescope  
#37 Posted : 19 April 2013 18:07:27(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: JonG Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dave,
I'll be there for a couple of hours - back at 12pm.
CYB - Not to worry - if you cant get it for tomorrow then it doesn't matter.
Cheers
Jon.

0945 on Old Road by the Sheps then.  Thanx
Ferni  
#38 Posted : 19 April 2013 20:02:10(UTC)
Ferni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I reccied my walk today ( we're starting from the Cat & Fiddle) so took the opportunity so look around the area where the party was. 
There's absolutely no need for anyone to go tomorrow; it's all been extensively cleaned up. I walked round the whole area - was saddened to see the where some had made a campfire near the  oak ( I think ) benches, someone had tried to burn the benches too. What possesses some people to want to and actively destroy what's around them? 

With regards the 'tagging'.. this, or these individuals are the ones who have truly let down all those other partygoers. Something is wrong in their wiring to constantly feel the need to scent mark all over the place. I stopped counting the amount of tags along the wall towards the end of the reservoir, just beyond the bottom carpark. There's several on the dry stone walls up Goyt's Lane, and even on a tree! ( which someone has tried to remove by pulling the bark off !) - but the worst was on the rock face - pic enclosed - 

Whoever has been and cleaned the area up so far, I thank you . 
Ferni attached the following image(s):
DSCN5767.jpg
DSCN5762.jpg
DSCN5740.jpg
DSCN5765.jpg

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
JonG  
#39 Posted : 19 April 2013 22:02:42(UTC)
JonG

I'll still be going. I have some wire brushes,binbags etc and from Nev's email there is still stuff that can be done.
I echo Ferni's thanks to all those who have been clearing.
Cheers

Jon.

Wanderer returns  
#40 Posted : 20 April 2013 04:37:32(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I'd just like to say a massive thank you to all who have been down to the Goyt and done some cleaning up. I'm particularly pleased to see at some of those who attended have contributed to this.

My only hope is that if the one scheduled for the Bank Holiday does take place there will not be the same carnage left behind. The litter was bad enough but the graffitti completely unacceptable.