logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
george  
#1 Posted : 07 July 2009 10:42:54(UTC)
george

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi Gnatelee

I don't know if your dad was living in Whaley in the 1940's/50's if so this photo will bring back memories.

george

File Attachment(s):
scan0007.jpg (534kb) downloaded 128 time(s).
Gnatalee  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2009 12:19:00(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi George

I'm away at the moment and so I can't show him the picture 'til Friday - it'll be my first job when I get back !!! Dad left Whaley about 1938 but of course his family were still there and I don't doubt he will know the gentleman in question. He seems a little familiar to me but can't think why unless he is a relative !!

Gnats

Edited by user 07 July 2009 12:20:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2009 19:06:05(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi George

My Dad has had a look at the photo but can't place the gentleman in question.  That surprised me because I think the man looks like his brother !!!

Come on George, you are going to have to put us out of our misery  Look forward to hearing from you.

Gnats

Gnatalee  
#4 Posted : 18 July 2009 16:03:18(UTC)
Gnatalee

George

Who is it in the picture   - we are desperate to know !!

Gnats

Edited by user 18 July 2009 16:04:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#5 Posted : 18 July 2009 17:15:56(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Gnats,

As you are desperate to know who the man in the photo is: The man is Joe Bagshaw known locally as Joe Twigg.

Gnatalee  
#6 Posted : 18 July 2009 18:41:49(UTC)
Gnatalee

Frankie

Thanks for that - my Dad's memory ain't that great - he is 88 after all ! But when I said to him "Joe Twigg" he immediately knew who I meant ! When I mentioned Joe Bagshaw he agreed that this was the same person.

He says that Joe used to play football with the local kids - so whilst Dad didn't intially recognise the photo, with your prompting he realised who it was. Thank you. !
(All photographic promptings are greatfiully received ! )

Gnats

Edited by user 18 July 2009 18:43:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 18 July 2009 18:58:13(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Frankie wrote:

Gnats,

As you are desperate to know who the man in the photo is: The man is Joe Bagshaw known locally as Joe Twigg.

My word Frankie,

I know that George has mentioned Joe Twigg a couple of times on here and I also gave a little bit of info about him. But I have never seen a photo of him, so I did suspect it was the legendary Joe Twigg. Fair play to you my friend.

All week I have had my suspicions that it was possibly Frankie Burton.

Well just goes to show what I know.

Frankie don’t forget we have a lunch engagement to arrange, on me, and I am not to busy this coming week. So if your cruise engagements allow we must meet up; we have business to attend to.

R. S-S
george  
#8 Posted : 18 July 2009 19:33:22(UTC)
george

HI Gnats

Sorry I have not been keeping upto date on this and missed seeing that there had been replies. Yes it is Joe Bagshaw alias Joe Twigg alias Little Joe. Yes he had a football team. Lane End Football Club and was also to be seen pushing his home made truck around the village helped by a crowd of lads. He prepared tea for his football team after the match at his own expense and he never earned much money. He would buy an eight pound malt loaf from the Co-op bakery (where one of his duties was to look after the coke boiler) and also made jellies plus providing other items too. The lads in his team came mainly from poor homes and being hungry after the matches eagerly "tucked in" to the food. As the years passed by he used take a crowd of lads to watch Stockport County and after the game to the U.C.P. cafe in Stockport and as far as I know again he paid for it all. I don't know If bystanders thought they were all his children or not. On one occassion he came out of the Co-op Grocery and was knocked down by a pram, the lady pushing it looked down at Little Joe and said " what are you doing down there" Getting up was his reply.  He certainly was a local character.

I hope this brings back memories for your father.

george

Frankie  
#9 Posted : 19 July 2009 11:22:23(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

My good friend R.S-S.

Available any day but Friday morn.

Gnatalee  
#10 Posted : 20 July 2009 17:42:34(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi George

Have printed off your posting about Joe Twigg - following which my Dad never stopped talking !

He says "I was one of the lads Joe took to Stockport County, along with Jack Bradley, Freddie Lee (who later became the postman), Harold Lee and Alan Collier."

"At Christmas I used to get a "casey" football and when my friends and I went to the park to play football Joe would be there, joining in with the game."

"He also used to take us to the matinee (pictures) at Stockport"

Dad also remembers Joe's wagon which was often pushed around by 3 or 4 kids.

Joe sounds a really fun person for the kids to be around, kind-hearted and obviously well-known in the village.

Well, these are the snippets about Joe Twigg from one of the horses' mouths !!!  (I hope I got the grammar right on that one - don't want the spelling/grammar police "having a go" ! )

Many thanks George for the fab photo and information.

Gnats

Edited by user 20 July 2009 17:50:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified