logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ferni  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2013 19:43:24(UTC)
Ferni

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Many readers might be interested to know that there is to be a Lancaster Bomber ( last remaining in its class ) due to fly over Ladybower and on to Chatsworth and beyond this Thursday 16th May, as part of The Dambusters 70th Anniversary. 

I was already planning to head for the hills - or Chatsworth - to hopefully get shots of this and several other flypast planes, but now I've just seen a brand new announcement made on the Buxton Advertiser's website announcing  the following: 

Lancaster bomber flypast delivered

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight’s Lancaster bomber ‘City of Lincoln’ is to stage a flypast over Chapel-en-le-Frith town centre next Thursday, May 16, following the remembrance tribute to Flight Lieutenant William (Bill) Astell D.F.C.

Tribute organiser Edmund Bradbury said: “I’m very pleased that the Battle of Britain has agreed to the request, and that the town is to be honoured by the flypast at 12.50pm after the Lancaster has overflown the Derwent Dam in the Hope Valley, where RAF 617 Squadron practised their bomb-aiming technique prior to the Dambusters raids.”

The memorial flight was established as a tribute to all of the airmen who lost their lives in the two World Wars. City of Lincoln is the sole surviving bomber.

The remembrance tribute will take place at Chapel-en-le-Frith War Memorial at 11am.

Now, on the http://www.dambusters70.com/ site it says the planes will be over Ladybower ca. 13.00-13.15 and over Chatsworth around 13.20  so I'm wondering if the planes will fly over Chapel before heading to Ladybower & Derwent.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
davethescope  
#2 Posted : 16 May 2013 16:45:42(UTC)
davethescope

Groups: Member
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
A very well attended and moving service this morning with a fine sung rendition of  "The Danbusters March" by the CelF male voice choir.   And I have rarely seen so many people in Chapel as were there to watch "The City of Lincoln" make four passes over the town.
davethescope attached the following image(s):
IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0602.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
thanks 4 users thanked davethescope for this useful post.
MrTrueman on 16/05/2013(UTC), Radar on 16/05/2013(UTC), Curious on 16/05/2013(UTC), UnrealCity on 18/05/2013(UTC)