logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrTrueman  
#1 Posted : 04 November 2013 18:43:37(UTC)
MrTrueman

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just a note on the recent posts regarding censorship and post removal.

As a user on this forum you have a responsibility for any posts made and must take full legal responsibility for any content you post. (see forum rules “Your Legal Responsibility:”)

Therefore the web group and the hosts of this forum cannot and will not get involved with personal or business disputes and attacks posted by others.

If you have issues you should take it up with the people or business directly concerned rather than using this forum to make defamatory posts against such businesses or individuals

The forum and the Whaley Bridge website is run by volunteers and we simply do not have the time for such defamatory content issues.

This type of post will NOT be tolerated and WILL be removed!

Leaving now

Edited by moderator 05 November 2013 16:33:17(UTC)  | Reason: typo

Regards,

Mr Trueman

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Whaley Bridge website needs your help. Please email us your local news and events.
http://www.whaleybridge.com/contact/

Please support our local Computer Company, Trusted IT they provide this forum for all to use.
http://www.trustedit.co.uk
pensionman  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2013 09:35:18(UTC)
pensionman

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Blimey talk about the thought police in 1984. Bit over the top reaction.
G. Jackson  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2013 11:36:51(UTC)
G. Jackson

A warning to anyone posting on this site:-
Be very careful, the last post I had was removed even though it was only telling people that the new telephone number for the police was 101, this is for non-emergencies where 999 is for emergencies.
I am posting this at 11.40 am but it will probably be removed by the thought police before noon.

G.J.
JonG  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2013 13:10:40(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi GJ,
My apologies. Sometimes when we moderate topics, we simply do not have the time to seperate out every post, and perfectly reasonable posts get removed. We do make this clear in the forum rules. This is one of those occasions.

"We will remove any topics we deem inappropriate or disruptive. Please note that, from time to time, topics may be removed for being inappropriate even though your individual post in that topic may have been perfectly fine. Please do not feel this reflects badly on you. "

Your post is however in the wrong thread, as perhaps your original post may have been. Perhaps you could create a new one and repost, and i will then delete the above.

Cheers
Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
High Peak Harry  
#5 Posted : 07 November 2013 08:53:23(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Slander is the spoken word, libel is the written word. Defamation and libel can only occur when what is written is untrue. Fora exist to publicise things and reach a wider audience, letting others know what is happening in their area. That area could be geographical or their area of interest.

I just thought I would add my bit to clear up any misunderstanding. As far as I am aware nothing which was written and subsequently removed were none of the three examples I gave above.
MrTrueman  
#6 Posted : 07 November 2013 10:33:33(UTC)
MrTrueman

Groups: Administration

Originally Posted by: High Peak Harry Go to Quoted Post
Slander is the spoken word, libel is the written word. Defamation and libel can only occur when what is written is untrue. Fora exist to publicise things and reach a wider audience, letting others know what is happening in their area. That area could be geographical or their area of interest.

I just thought I would add my bit to clear up any misunderstanding. As far as I am aware nothing which was written and subsequently removed were none of the three examples I gave above.

Since no member of the web group are defamation solicitors, we act with caution.
Regards,

Mr Trueman

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Whaley Bridge website needs your help. Please email us your local news and events.
http://www.whaleybridge.com/contact/

Please support our local Computer Company, Trusted IT they provide this forum for all to use.
http://www.trustedit.co.uk
snowy  
#7 Posted : 07 November 2013 11:43:21(UTC)
snowy

Good morning all

I'm sure Harry is correct in saying that the truth cannot be defamatory.

I'm also sure the moderators are doing their best in what seem to be delicate circumstances.

I had another look at the forum rules version 2.2, as set out in the "sticky" above, and  a couple of things puzzle me a bit. 

1. "Your Legal Responsibility:Please note that you are personally liable for anything you choose to post publicly on the forum. Think before you post. Defamation, slander and other offences are serious, and can cost you your job, your home and your liberty. Think BEFORE you post.

Even after posts are removed from public view, directly by moderators, or in response to a complaint, moderators or other individuals may make affected parties aware of the posts and the poster, in order that legal redress may be made. Moderated posts are not always deleted, are kept in a separate area, and will be made available for legal purposes if necessary.

Forum DisclaimerAll views and opinions expressed on this forum are those of the authors, and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Whaley Bridge Town Council (the forum facilitators), Trusted IT (the hosts for our server) or the moderators."

This seems to mean that the forum is not responsible for any potentially defamatory posts.

Obviously it's difficult for a moderator to judge whether or not a post is true. I agree that in case of doubt it's safer to delete a post. But, as the forum has disclaimed responsibility, is the deletion just to protect the poster?

If so, could the poster be given the choice of whether or not to stick to his/her guns and to accept any possible legal consequences?

2. "Moderators Moderators may move, delete or edit any posts without warning, which they feel break the forum rules or which they feel are deliberately testing the forums patience or the moderators patience. Moderators may also move or delete or edit posts which they feel are deliberately provocative, which they feel may be libellous or which they feel may cause distress to another user.  Moderators may warn, suspend or ban users without prior notice. Moderators are not liable in any way for failing or omitting to remove a post. Moderators are not required to give any reasons or enter into any discussion about their reasons for removing posts. The moderators decision is final. Posts questioning the moderators decisions will not be tolerated and will be deleted. Your posting history will be taken into account in any decision by the moderators.
Moderators, as unpaid volunteers, make their decisions based on the rules of the forum, and in the best interests of the forum. In using the forum, you agree not to hold the moderators responsible or liable in any way for any decisions which may subsequently, or on appeal , be reversed or relaxed."

This seems to cover quite a lot, but it's interesting to see that posts can be removed, even if they are true, for being "provocative", for possibly "causing distress" or for "testing the patience" of the forum. So possible defamation isn't the only reason for removing posts. It would be interesting to know if moderators have any guidelines to interpret these provisions.

I'd just like to add that I don't know the exact circumstances that have led to the present controversy, and I'm not asking for any explanation of why any specific post was deleted.
Jack  
#8 Posted : 09 November 2013 13:52:56(UTC)
Jack

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
“Censorship of anything, at any time, in any place, on whatever pretense, has always been and always will be the last resort of the boob and the bigot.”
Eugene O'Neill
Norm  
#9 Posted : 18 November 2013 15:03:05(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jack Go to Quoted Post
“Censorship of anything, at any time, in any place, on whatever pretense, has always been and always will be the last resort of the boob and the bigot.”
Eugene O'Neill

Utter rubbish. Norm 2013 
davethescope  
#10 Posted : 18 November 2013 19:22:46(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Norm Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jack Go to Quoted Post
Eugene O'Neill

Utter rubbish. Norm 2013 

Quite right, Norm.  It is frequently their first resort.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Whaley Laner  
#11 Posted : 14 May 2014 11:13:55(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Could now be the time to remove the preposting moderation on the local history forum? I put a post on Friday but it took at least 24 hours before it was visible. The forum moderators do a terrific job but I appreciate they are busy people and have other things to do as well as look at this forum. The removal of prepost moderation would free up some of their time and mean posts were immediately visible. I understand the reasons for introducing the requirement but the mischief makers who once plagued this forum appear to have gone away and therefore the moderation may no longer be required. It could always be reintroduced if felt necessary. What do the moderators and members think?
RockBanker  
#12 Posted : 14 May 2014 12:11:30(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Worth a try.
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
davethescope  
#13 Posted : 14 May 2014 14:47:49(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Whaley Laner Go to Quoted Post
 What do the moderators and members think?

Excellent idea.   I rarely post on moderated forums so I put anything of historic interest on another place (which cannot be named)
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
JonG  
#14 Posted : 14 May 2014 15:55:40(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I agree,
i'll discuss and try and get it done.
cheers

Jon.
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com