logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wonder11  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2014 11:46:40(UTC)
wonder11

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does anybody know of what is to become of both pubs now their vacant? any sign of new landlords?     
RockBanker  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2014 14:20:47(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Which pubs?
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
davethescope  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2014 18:34:01(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RockBanker Go to Quoted Post
Which pubs?

The thread title is The Cock and the Railway so I doubt that OP is talking about the Goyt or the Sheps :-)
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Horwich Ender  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2014 20:34:43(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good evening.

It's good to see members posting again.

I was beginning to wonder whether the forum had been locked by the moderators.

Both the Railway and the Male Hen are currently available if there are any keen entrepreneurs out there.

Details can be found here:

http://www.myrobinsonspub.com/vacancies/vacancy/150

http://www.myrobinsonspub.com/vacancies/vacancy/174

Edited by user 15 January 2014 20:49:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RockBanker  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2014 21:50:26(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Must get out more. Did not realise that these two were up to let. Both Robbies I note. Not my favourite brew, and I have noticed that their pubs have been closing at a fairly rapid rate over the last few years.

davethescope  
#6 Posted : 16 January 2014 08:58:44(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RockBanker Go to Quoted Post
Must get out more. Did not realise that these two were up to let. Both Robbies I note. Not my favourite brew, and I have noticed that their pubs have been closing at a fairly rapid rate over the last few years.

Robbies have disposed of the Wanted Inn at Sparrowpit and I noticed that it has reopened as a freehouse though I haven't had the opportunity to visit it yet..   Free cheers for that!
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
RockBanker  
#7 Posted : 16 January 2014 13:23:45(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

I was somewhat surprised that it has lasted as long as it had, but intelligence suggests that it is popular with the caving community. Looks like a familiar face or two behind the bar. http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=16078.0;prev_next=next#new

wonder11  
#8 Posted : 17 January 2014 09:53:24(UTC)
wonder11

It is a shame. In my opinion i feel that Robbies pubs are all just too much of the same these days and were losing traditional values of a pub. I'm disappointed to see them so empty too and the forever closure of The Jodrell Arms. Whaley bridge used to be bustling, perhaps if more variety was on offer and perhaps of a better quality (not necessarily meaning costly) it may encourage a better circuit and a bigger mix of people? Local businesses need to shake themselves off and wake up from hibernation. We cant blame the economy, you only have to drive a few miles out of the area to see busy shops and fully booked restaurants and pubs, there is definitely something being done wrong or not being done at all. Am i alone in these thoughts?

davethescope  
#9 Posted : 17 January 2014 21:20:20(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: wonder11 Go to Quoted Post
It is a shame. In my opinion i feel that Robbies pubs are all just too much of the same these days and were losing traditional values of a pub. I'm disappointed to see them so empty too and the forever closure of The Jodrell Arms. Whaley bridge used to be bustling, perhaps if more variety was on offer and perhaps of a better quality (not necessarily meaning costly) it may encourage a better circuit and a bigger mix of people? Local businesses need to shake themselves off and wake up from hibernation. We cant blame the economy, you only have to drive a few miles out of the area to see busy shops and fully booked restaurants and pubs, there is definitely something being done wrong or not being done at all. Am i alone in these thoughts?

The traditional pub is in decline everywhere, not just Whaley.     Some reasons are:  the relatively high cost of drinks compared with supermarkets;   the smoking ban;   the drink driving laws.   The three resteraunts in Whaley seem to be well patronized
RockBanker  
#10 Posted : 17 January 2014 22:59:01(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

One has to ask how many pubs the population of  Whaley can support. Here is a very rough estimate.

The Beer & Pub association say that in 2011 there were 50,395 pubs in the UK. A decline from 51,178 in 2010 and 67,800 in 1982 and likely to decline further in the next few years.

The UK population was 62.75 million in 2011. This works out at one pub for every 1245 persons.

The Whaley Bridge website gives our population as ~8000. The HPBC estimates it at ~7000. The 2001 census gives it as 6,226. 

8000/1245 = 6.4
7000/1245 = 5.6 
6226/1245  = 5.0

On the basis of these figures, and the very crude assumptions implicit in my calculations we should expect around 5 or 6 pubs.

We now have 7 pubs in the central area

-Drum & Monkey
-White Horse
-Male Hen
-Shepherds
-White Hart
-Railway
-Goyt

Plus in Furness Vale

-Soldier Dick

And then on the periphery

-Shady Oak
-Buggy Navvy

Also we have to mention
-Bowling Club
-Buggy Club

One could therefore argue, on the basis of the national average, that there is an oversupply of drinking establishments in our town, and that to support the current numbers customers have to be drawn in from a wider area. Whaley Bridge does have the advantage of good public transport links, the attractions of surrounding countryside and the canal basin area to attract visitors.

I think there is a problem with Robinsons pubs such as the Railway and Male hen. The successful pubs in Whaley serve a variety of beers, and on the basis of the people I have met there seem to attract people from out of town for this reason. I am not sure that Robbies pubs have the same pulling power. I also have to ask myself who would want to take on these pubs. The Robinsons estimate for the profit from the male hen is £18 K a year. I would expect them to be optimistic. Even if you take into account that your accommodation is paid for, this is not a great reward for all the hard work required.

http://www.beerandpub.com/statistics
https://www.google.co.uk...idim=country:GBR:FRABiggrinEU
http://www.highpeak.gov....-main-areas/central-area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaley_Bridge
http://myrobinsonspub.com/vacancies/vacancy/174

Whaley Laner  
#11 Posted : 19 January 2014 13:08:31(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Originally Posted by: Horwich Ender Go to Quoted Post

It's good to see members posting again.

I was beginning to wonder whether the forum had been locked by the moderators.

I believe the reason people have been reluctant to post on this forum is because of all the shenanigans before Christmas. Someone would start a topic, someone would reply, someone would disagree with the previous comment, someone would say this was mudslinging and the whole thread - not just the problem post - would be removed to an area of the forum which can only be viewed by the forum moderators! Potential contributors have to ask themselves the question - what is the point of posting on this forum? Lets hope both The Cock and The Railway get new tenants soon because the conservation area already looks bad enough with two shutdown pubs another would make it even worse.
davethescope  
#12 Posted : 19 January 2014 15:51:58(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Quote:
 Lets hope both The Cock and The Railway get new tenants soon because the conservation area already looks bad enough with two shutdown pubs another would make it even worse.

It rather depends on what happens to them after they are shut.   If they are simply abandoned behind a crude wire fence like the Jodrell then I agree.  But if they are decently redeveloped like the D&P it is not really objectionable.

BTW, Rock Banker omitted the Crossings at Furness and Furness Club from his list.
RockBanker  
#13 Posted : 19 January 2014 20:26:37(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Originally Posted by: davethescope Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
BTW, Rock Banker omitted the Crossings at Furness and Furness Club from his list.

Indeed I did. Thanks DTS. 

Kippax  
#14 Posted : 05 February 2014 12:11:31(UTC)
Kippax

Why are Whaleys landlords so lazy? Supposedly on Saturday night there was only one landlord serving behind their bar. The Drum and Monkey was shut at 9.30. Phil from the White Horse was drinking in the Bowling Club. The Cock hasn't got a landlord. Susan from the Shepherds was drinking in the White Hart. Wendy was in the White Hart but refused to serve even though it was three deep at the bar. The Railway hasn't got a landlord. Tony at the Goyt was the only landlord looking after his customers. Publicans are very quick to blame the breweries and supermarkets for the demise of Whaleys pubs but if the landlords put in a bit more effort they may well see an improvement in trade.
davethescope  
#15 Posted : 05 February 2014 17:35:28(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

How was Susan drinking if Wendy was refusing to serve? And what were the people three deep at the bar doing if they couldn't get a drink.
Kippax  
#16 Posted : 10 February 2014 10:30:39(UTC)
Kippax

Originally Posted by: davethescope Go to Quoted Post
How was Susan drinking if Wendy was refusing to serve? And what were the people three deep at the bar doing if they couldn't get a drink.

There were 2 staff serving but the wait for a drink was about 20 minutes which would have been significantly reduced if Wendy had helped out. 
pensionman  
#17 Posted : 10 February 2014 13:28:27(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I've been in 3 times to watch the football on a Sunday & she looks so unhappy. I hope she's alright.
Jack  
#18 Posted : 03 March 2014 11:07:11(UTC)
Jack

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
if you want to run the railway i would apply quickly............................before the temporary manager runs it into the ground..........................
thanks 1 user thanked Jack for this useful post.
ringingroger on 03/03/2014(UTC)
ringingroger  
#19 Posted : 03 March 2014 20:52:47(UTC)
ringingroger

United Kingdom

I agree with Jack, this weekend was dire at the Railway and the excuse simply can't be that nobody was out. The Hart was full, as was the Club and Horse for party events. Its typical of Robinsons to bring in a outcast to run a village pub (I don't care if his excuse is that he's from New Mills). The prices have gone up, service become poor, and has a complete lack of compassion for those out wanting to let their hair down for the night.

Why bother having a TV if this guy just turns it off all the time, why bother wanting to run a music venue and then shouting down a customer because they wanted to have the Jukebox playing, this idiot even closed off the Pool Table for a week until people started complaining about it. As Jack says it won't be too long before yet another Whaley pub is run into the ground, and for completely avoidable reasons aswell.
wonder11  
#20 Posted : 18 March 2014 08:39:18(UTC)
wonder11

Hello again,

Any updates as to what is to become of our pubs?