logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davethescope  
#21 Posted : 17 February 2014 22:22:00(UTC)
davethescope

Groups: Member
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dougie Go to Quoted Post
"more townies into whaley",....a statement that reflects a tolerant mindset,......oh dear.

I think that "Townie" is a technical word used to describe someone who moved into Whaley after the speaker.   And I wonder what proportion of the resident are third generation or older Whalians?
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
thanks 1 user thanked davethescope for this useful post.
dougie on 18/02/2014(UTC)
dougie  
#22 Posted : 18 February 2014 08:40:38(UTC)
dougie

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
opting out of this,...as I feared its trending towards a "League of Gentlemen" scenario,.....I hear they have fire and the wheel on the other side of Hazel Grove.
VB  
#23 Posted : 18 February 2014 16:01:52(UTC)
VB

United Kingdom

I've been to the other side of Hazel Grove and I can confirm they have the wheel AND fire but unfortunately they have lost peace and quiet, clean air and the ability to walk....

As a newbie (resident of only 5 years) I'm obviously still on my probation period before my application to become a fully fledged associate resident goes in. I have a daughter who is looking forward to being the mother (in about 20 years time) of a proper Whaley Bridge baby...... :-)
davethescope  
#24 Posted : 18 February 2014 16:18:09(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: VB Go to Quoted Post
I've been to the other side of Hazel Grove and I can confirm they have the wheel AND fire but unfortunately they have lost peace and quiet, clean air and the ability to walk.

An ability which also appears to becoming increasingly rare in Whaley.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Jonny Summers  
#25 Posted : 18 February 2014 18:11:03(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Maybe build the houses without parking spaces/garages & a single track one-way access road, so only people without cars buy them. No congestion problem on Macclesfield Road then & plenty of walking. Probably best to let them have fires though :)
pensionman  
#26 Posted : 18 February 2014 22:23:27(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
And a double yellow line on the track as well!
Wanderer returns  
#27 Posted : 24 February 2014 15:28:15(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Permission granted for 21 new homes in New Mills
Horwich Ender  
#28 Posted : 24 February 2014 17:05:08(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Wanderer returns Go to Quoted Post
Permission granted for 21 new homes in New Mills

Good afternoon Wanderer returns.

More detail can be found here:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/grassroots/21-homes-approved-for-untidy-land-in-new-mills-1-6445470

thanks 1 user thanked Horwich Ender for this useful post.
Wanderer returns on 24/02/2014(UTC)
Wanderer returns  
#29 Posted : 24 February 2014 21:11:06(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Thanks for the link - I couldn't upload it
Whaley Laner  
#30 Posted : 04 March 2014 14:15:03(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've received a UKIP High Peak leaflet. Their No.1 priority for the High Peak is - Jobs not houses: Stop the building of thousands of unwanted housing units on greenbelt and inappropriate sites across High Peak. It's surprising to note the Whaley Bridge Town Councillor who was the proposer for the UKIP candidate at the County Councillor elections is one of only a few people who have publicly expressed a desire to see houses built on the land off Macclesfield Road.
JonG  
#31 Posted : 05 March 2014 00:31:54(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Amidst the twists and turns of National Politics, are you still proud to belong to a democracy, Whaley Laner, or would you just prefer we did it all your own way?

I don't think your views are particularly helpful, but I feel the need to respond.

You may not like it, but we live in a democracy that millions died for,  in pursuit of a world where people are allowed to voice their own opinion in freedom. Some of your ancestors names may  be written proud on the memorial in the park. My Grandfathers name is on a memorial in Singapore. They may have died thousands of miles apart but there was a common aim, which was to allow people to live in a democratic society, and express their views freely..

:Clr John Swifts actual comments on the HPBC consultation are as follows.

High Peak Local Plan - Additional Consultation

C9 South of Macclesfield RoadDo you agree with the proposed change?
Agree

Comments

Access at Reddish road not Linglongs.

Parking for Macclesfield Road residents provided.

Screening for Macclesfield Road residents.

Develop Taxal Lodge in scheme.

I have my own views regarding development on this particular site - I object -, and these are made quite clear on the same local plan consultation site as above. I will fight these in my own way, and on planning grounds only, which is all I believe we can do.   I'm not in favour of  development on this particular site, for reasons which I have stated, but if it does happen , then I absolutely agree with the comments in the 'Comment' section that Cllr Swifts makes. 

I welcome a democratic Town Council where Councillors are freely  allowed to express views  which represent the different opinions amongst people in Whaley Bridge and Furness Vale. We have 12 Town Councillors representing all 4 wards of Whaley Bridge. It's has been pointed out on the forum, that the number of people who are objecting to development is a very small fraction of the total population of Whaley Bridge. It's also  clear that some of those on the forum are in favour of new development. Given all the opinions about this I think it would be wrong if we didn't actually have more than one person on the Town Council who holds a different opinion. Whatever the views of individual councillors,  it is a democratic Town Council - we vote and the majority view holds.

I have spoken to people who have turned the argument on its head and questioned what number  of people we need in Whaley Bridge in order to keep the community vibrant and growing . They propose that the idea that Whaley Bridge can  prosper with an ageing static population, no new blood, and no change, is unsustainable.

They have a point, don't they?

To throw it back at you Whaley Laner, would you like us to continue with our democratic structure, and  can you address the last comment above about sustainability?

I also had a qk look on the consultation website for your comments.(under what I understand to be your real name)  I didnt see any - did you actually post any? I'd be interested to read what you put. 

Cheers 

Jon.

Edited by user 05 March 2014 03:42:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
thanks 1 user thanked JonG for this useful post.
dougie on 05/03/2014(UTC)
Whaley Laner  
#32 Posted : 05 March 2014 13:41:46(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Hi Jon

I'm sorry you don't feel my views are particularly helpful but I think the comments of Councillor Martin Thomas Chair of the Whaley Bridge Town Council that the Town Council voted unanimously to oppose the development of the Macclesfield Road site were misleading. Normally I don't agree with UKIP policies but I do support the view that we should stop building thousands of unwanted housing units on greenbelt and inappropriate sites across the High Peak. I'm surprised at your reference to my real name when forum rules clearly state forum members rights to anonymity should be strictly respected but the answer your question is - Yes I did post my comments on the HPBC local plan consultation website and they are still available to view. To answer your other questions – Yes I do agree with democracy – Yes I do think everyone including Town Councillors are entitled to express their views freely – I also think a population of around 8000 with local facilities including schools full to capacity is sufficient to sustain Whaley Bridge as a Walking Town in the Heart of the Peak District.
davethescope  
#33 Posted : 05 March 2014 16:59:38(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Whaley Laner Go to Quoted Post
Yes I do think everyone including Town Councillors are entitled to express their views freely – I also think a population of around 8000 with local facilities including schools full to capacity is sufficient to sustain Whaley Bridge as a Walking Town in the Heart of the Peak District.

But wouldn't a population of 8,500 with local facilities not stretched to breaking point be even better?

And with the amount of traffic congestion referring to Whaley as a "walking town" is plainly ludicrous.
Horwich Ender  
#34 Posted : 11 March 2014 17:45:25(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Originally Posted by: JonG Go to Quoted Post
You may not like it, but we live in a democracy that millions died for,  in pursuit of a world where people are allowed to voice their own opinion in freedom.

Well said Chairman Jon.

Please can you remind tarboat of your statement when he is acting in his role as moderator of this forum.

JonG  
#35 Posted : 12 March 2014 01:44:44(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
HE,
I suppose I should not be too surprised that someone might attempt to twist well meant words to try and find hypocracy where there is none.
I think there is a big difference between the struggle for democracy in the 20th century which resulted in the deaths of millions, and the fine detail of certain people on Whaley Bridge Forum in circa 2014 trying to anonymously use a public forum in a destructive and inflammatory way which ruins it for everybody else. Be thankful we live somewhere where we can have a public forum, but accept that there has to be a set of checks and balances in place in order to stop it spiralling downwards!
We have a set of rules on the forum which have been developed in response to people who have continually tried to push the boundaries of what is acceptable.
I wish there were no rules, and i wish there was no need for moderators. It would save us all an awful lot of time.However, that is not reality.
Those that operate the forum have a responsibility for what is published on it, and those users that publish on the forum have a legal responsibility for what they post  even if they do so under a pseudonym. 
The moderators job inevitably puts them in conflict with someone. There is more than one moderator, and it is wrong for anyone to single out any one person in their remarks, as we act with the common aim of ensuring the forum remains a welcoming place.
On this forum, if someone posts stuff which the moderators dont think is acceptable, or about which we receive complaints, we don't drag you off in the middle of the night.. We simply remove your posts and occasionally suspend or ban people who do it repeatedly.
The reality is that if people really do want to be an anonymous nuisance, then there is a whole world of other internet sites out there that they are free to go on and use. Alternatively they can create their own.
Cheers
Jon.

Edited by user 12 March 2014 01:45:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
UnrealCity  
#36 Posted : 13 March 2014 15:46:58(UTC)
UnrealCity

Man

Originally Posted by: Whaley Laner Go to Quoted Post
 I think the comments of Councillor Martin Thomas Chair of the Whaley Bridge Town Council that the Town Council voted unanimously to oppose the development of the Macclesfield Road site were misleading.  

Can I add that Cllr John Swift declared a conflict of interest and withdrew from the discussion and debate on C9. He at no stage used his position to bring influence to bear on the outcome of the vote of the Council. To do so, he felt, would be wrong.

None of this means he is not entitled to record his private views, which are as quoted above. 

So I maintain my statement above.

All the best.
Cllr Martin Thomas
Chair Whaley Bridge Town Council
Member for Yeardsley Ward
thanks 1 user thanked UnrealCity for this useful post.
dougie on 14/03/2014(UTC)
canalboat  
#37 Posted : 14 March 2014 18:27:29(UTC)
canalboat

ROLL OUT THE WICKER MAN
Kippax  
#38 Posted : 01 April 2014 09:40:08(UTC)
Kippax

The land behind Macclesfield Road will only be built on if the farmer decides to sell to a developer. Would it be  a good idea for Whaley Matters to divert their lobbying towards the owner?
davethescope  
#39 Posted : 01 April 2014 17:18:14(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Kippax Go to Quoted Post
The land behind Macclesfield Road will only be built on if the farmer decides to sell to a developer. Would it be  a good idea for Whaley Matters to divert their lobbying towards the owner?

A point I have frequently made.  Although the general attitude is to cast the developer as the villain of the piece he is simply a man doing his job.  If locals refused to sell him the land he could not built