logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JonG  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2014 00:40:16(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi,

Please note that your opportunity to respond to High Peak Borough Council about their plans for development across Whaley Bridge and the High Peak ends this coming Monday on the 10th.

It really is so important to respond to this consultation and make your voice clear, whether you agree with building more houses in Whaley and the High Peak or not. It doesn't matter what age you are. The response from this consultation really is taken into account, and if you dont reply, then unfortunately it is taken as an 'I don't care and I am neutral vote'. You ARE heard if you respond, so please respond. Even if you have responded to previous consultations, it is absolutely critical to respond again to this one, even if you repeat what you said last time. I'm as fed up as you may be with this scheme of consultation, where 'repeat consultations' almost seem designed to wear you down to the point where you cant be bothered to respond, but THIS really is the consultation that matters MOST, so please make your voice heard again!

So, if you do care, then please respond by going to http://highpeak-consult.objective.co.uk/portal  , and respond to the consultation, which asks for responses to a number of questions. The C9 site(Macclesfield Road) is included in this, so you can state your objection there if you wish. There are other proposed sites in Whaley that you can have your say on too, so please do so.

You can also always write in your objections and concerns to LDF@highpeak.gov.uk or write to Regeneration, High Peak Borough Council, Town Hall, Buxton SK17 6EL, but note that the cutoff date for all of this is THIS MONDAY 10th FEB.

There is a cumulative effect with all the proposed development in the local area which is going to hit us all. The 900+ houses in Chapel that are proposed will have an enormous impact on Whaley, on top of the possible 107 houses on Macclesfield Road .

If you cannot be bothered to reply to the consultation, then please do not moan at me or other Town Councilors in the future when Whaley Bridge is covered in houses, you cannot drive through it , your kids cannot get into the primary schools, the secondary school in Chapel is restricted in entry , you cannot see a doctor, and the village floods every year ! Hopefully it may not be as bad as that, but I believe that further large scale development in Whaley Bridge is unsustainable.
You can argue with me or agree with me at any time if you want, but unless you actually respond to the consultation and make your views known, you might as well be arguing in outer space as far as it actually matters :)

I would also ask those with a head for statistics and numbers amongst you to cast your eyes on the 'objective assessment' of housing numbers document on the HPBC website (see the bottom document i.e  'housing requirement technical note (november 2013)' at  www.highpeak.gov.uk/hp/council-services/ldf-evidence-base/strategic-housing-market-assessment ) , and respond to HPBC about any questions you might have regarding it and the assumptions made. I have made my own comments, but parallel analysis and comment by others is really important. Please direct these to the LDF@highpeak.gov.uk and cc me as well if you wish - BEFORE THE 10TH FEB. I think there are many issues with this document and the assumptions in the analysis, and I think that the numbers of houses being proposed for the High Peak on the back of it is far too high.

Respond to the consultation at http://highpeak-consult.objective.co.uk/portal 

Cheers
Jon.

Edited by user 06 February 2014 01:11:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
thanks 3 users thanked JonG for this useful post.
pensionman on 06/02/2014(UTC), MrTrueman on 06/02/2014(UTC), Whaley Laner on 07/02/2014(UTC)
Whaley Laner  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2014 11:54:13(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you Jon for this very important post. For anyone who has an interest in Whaley Bridge now is the time for action. It's vital you post your comments on the link provided by Jon. Delaying until next week will be too late. The Macclesfield Road site is C9 and the relevant question is No. 13 -

C9 Macclesfield Road
Do you agree with the proposed change?

You have the option to select Agree, Disagree or Other and have the opportunity to make further comments.

Of the comments currently made the results are -

Agree        3%
Disagree   93%
Other        4%

It's interesting to see one of the three people who agree with the development is a Whaley Bridge Town Councillor who represents Taxal Ward.
pensionman  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2014 12:46:33(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Why is that interesting? The person has every right to have to that opinion & may see the positives of the development. For the life of me I can't see any though.
davethescope  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2014 10:21:03(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pensionman Go to Quoted Post
Why is that interesting? The person has every right to have to that opinion & may see the positives of the development. For the life of me I can't see any though.

Well:  83 band D houses would pay about £2,500 pounds in parish precept every year.  Halfway  to another red telephones box :-)
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
pensionman  
#5 Posted : 08 February 2014 23:59:24(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Irrelevant comment.
davethescope  
#6 Posted : 09 February 2014 08:56:08(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: pensionman Go to Quoted Post
Irrelevant comment.

Then why did you make it?
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Kippax  
#7 Posted : 10 February 2014 10:33:09(UTC)
Kippax

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Whaley Laner Go to Quoted Post
It's interesting to see one of the three people who agree with the development is a Whaley Bridge Town Councillor who represents Taxal Ward.

Didn't Whaley Bridge Town Councillors vote unanimously to oppose the plan? 
Whaley Laner  
#8 Posted : 11 February 2014 10:59:20(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The opportunity to respond to High Peak Borough Council about their plans for development has now closed. The question asked about the proposed development on Macclesfield Road was- Do you agree with the proposed change? The final replies were -

Agree         2%
Disagree   94%
Other         4%

We will have to wait and see if HPBC listen to the many valid and serious concerns residents have raised when objecting to this proposed development but lets hope common sense prevails and the development doesn't form part of the Local Plan.
davethescope  
#9 Posted : 11 February 2014 12:27:36(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

The opportunity to respond to High Peak Borough Council about their plans for development has now closed. The question asked about the proposed development on Macclesfield Road was- Do you agree with the proposed change? The final replies were -

Agree         2%
Disagree   94%
Other         4%

I suspect that if a non self selecting vote was taken there would be a much large percentage who agreed. Only a few hundred people out of the town's population of several thousand actually cared enough to comment.

Quote:
We will have to wait and see if HPBC listen to the many valid and serious concerns residents have raised when objecting to this proposed development but lets hope common sense prevails and the development doesn't form part of the Local Plan.

Indeed. But the decision should be made on the facts and not be swayed either way by self interested opinion.

Edited by user 11 February 2014 12:29:45(UTC)  | Reason: Sorting out format

thanks 1 user thanked davethescope for this useful post.
dougie on 12/02/2014(UTC)
dougie  
#10 Posted : 12 February 2014 11:35:05(UTC)
dougie

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have to agree with davethescope. We would all like to see the world stand still, but unfortunately we reproduce and expansion is necessary. It is important that brownfield sites are examined, of course, but the fact remains that the children of all, including protestors, have a right to housing here too.NIMBY ism is very much with us. The need for housing is recognised at govt level and desperately scrabbling to make sure our own immediate vicinities aren't affected doesn't reflect a massive objection in a small town of this population. Those of us with families perhaps need to come to terms with the inevitability of the fact that children will grow and deserve the right to be accommodated in the area where they were so well brought up. To stick heads in sand and object to this per se is a fundamental flaw in parental responsibility. As I said, brown sites first, but when they are exhausted or inadequate, housing needs for your children must be met. Oh and I will not be happy with the extra traffic either!
thanks 1 user thanked dougie for this useful post.
wonder11 on 18/03/2014(UTC)
Athena  
#11 Posted : 12 February 2014 12:41:38(UTC)
Athena

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dougie Go to Quoted Post
children will grow and deserve the right to be accommodated in the area where they were so well brought up. 

Do you really think these houses will be bought by people who were brought up in Whaley Bridge #getreal  
davethescope  
#12 Posted : 12 February 2014 13:06:55(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Athena Go to Quoted Post
Do you really think these houses will be bought by people who were brought up in Whaley Bridge #getreal  

As an incomer myself, albeit of thirty years standing, I cannot in all conscience share your objection to other outsiders coming to the town.
dougie  
#13 Posted : 12 February 2014 14:21:48(UTC)
dougie

whether "locally" populated or not, the place is growing. Those that have children have an unavoidable fact in front of them: the world changes and people will need to be accommodated. I was under the impression that a proportion of these were affordable housing? Every market place, including housing, has an entry price, for some it will be too high, that's a fact of life...Much as we would all love a freeze in time, people will move, .....nowhere stays the same and never has. All we can ask is that the expansion happens sensitively and positively.
davethescope  
#14 Posted : 12 February 2014 20:33:02(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

whether "locally" populated or not, the place is growing.

There seems to be some uncertainty about what the protest is about. On one hand is a desire to prevent any further developement in Whaley: on the other a complaint that site C9 is unsuitable. Whilst I sympathise with the latter point I can't really support the first.

I  remember  when the big housing developments were being built on Meadowfield many of the same objections were raised:  there would be traffic chaos on Whaley Lane, the Schools couldn't accommodate the influx of children, it would change the character of the town.   But 20 years on the town coped.  As it will cope with new expansions.

If the population is increasing whilst the nation is unwilling to spend on transport infrastructure then of course congestion will increase.  But there are adaptions which will mitigate that to some extent.   Driving to football matches at 7 o'clock these last few Tuesdays I have remarked on the amount of traffic coming into Whaley at that hour.  Presumably these are people who have decided that Horwich End at half past five isn't for them and have altered their working hours accordingly.   Not an option open to every one, of course, but employers are becoming more amenable to staggered working hours

But I don't think that the Linglongs site is a very sensible choice.   It would seem more sensible to build at the other side of town which would avoid the bulk of the additional commuter traffic having to pass through the town.  A glance at Google Earth shows good sites behind Boothomes Hall and on the area between Hockerly and Ringstone. Or in the triangle between the bypass, Silk Hill and Bingswood Industrial Estate

Edited by user 12 February 2014 20:52:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wanderer returns  
#15 Posted : 13 February 2014 05:23:59(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
As someone who moved into Whaley nearly 15 years ago I feel like a hypocrite when I say I oppose the new houses. Had more housing not been built I probably would not have moved to the village but there are several concerns for me with this development: firstly the loss of brown belt land but realistically this will happen wherever they build, next the access on Linglongs - it's hard enough to pull out onto Macc Road as it is and I dread to think what it would be like at peak times, I know that the local schools are all but full - bigger class sizes impacts on the quality of the teaching and the buildings do not have room to have additional classes, there is also the pressure on the doctors and other essential services etc.

I doubt that anyone would be happy to have 107 houses built on their front door but I think there are better sites in Whaley some of which have better access arrangements or the potential to have better access. The land at Botham's Hall is one place where access may be better with the roundabout already in place, the land between Ringstones and Stoneheads no longer has cattle on it and perhaps access could be created onto the A6?

I suppose the questions which should be asked first are do we need 107 houses and will they be the "right kind" of houses? The Meadowfield estate always has dozens of for sale signs up whereas smaller properties are snapped up relatively quickly in the village, perhaps more affordable housing is needed?

Ultimately it will probably be someone from outside the village who will make the decision and although our thoughts are read they are probably not even considered.

Edited by user 13 February 2014 05:30:52(UTC)  | Reason: Addition to text

Horwich Ender  
#16 Posted : 14 February 2014 17:15:43(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: davethescope Go to Quoted Post

Agree         2%
Disagree   94%
Other         4%

I suspect that if a non self selecting vote was taken there would be a much large percentage who agreed. Only a few hundred people out of the town's population of several thousand actually cared enough to comment.

Quote:

Indeed. But the decision should be made on the facts and not be swayed either way by self interested opinion.

Good afternoon.

High Peak Borough Council have a track record of ignoring public opinion.

Remember the Mysterious Man from Madscar's campaign to have the War Memorial open for Remembrance Sunday.

I have no doubt the decision to add the Macclesfield Road site to the Local Plan will be made on the facts and not on how many people marched through Whaley Bridge with placards and banners.

However, some of the facts relating to the proposed development, which have been highlighted by those who responded to the consultation, should be sufficient to ensure the conclusion from any unbiased committee would be the development of land off Macclesfield Road should not be included in the Local Plan.

We will have to wait and see what decision is made but I do believe if this development was in Glossopdale it would not have been sneakily added into the draft plan a few days before Christmas just to make up the required numbers.

Jack  
#17 Posted : 17 February 2014 11:51:02(UTC)
Jack

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Athena Go to Quoted Post
children will grow and deserve the right to be accommodated in the area where they were so well brought up. 

all these houses will do is bring more townies into whaley..................................how many locals brought up in whaley live up jam butty hill??????????????????????????
Jack  
#18 Posted : 17 February 2014 11:53:06(UTC)
Jack

is this the councillor who comes from manchester and is mates with the farmer selling the field??????????????????????????????????? 
Jonny Summers  
#19 Posted : 17 February 2014 18:26:20(UTC)
Jonny Summers

"If" it's just a matter of a farmer selling a field to a developer (and I've no idea if this is true) then why don't all the interested parties club together & buy the land to prevent the development??? Didn't people do a similar thing on Whaley Lane?
However, this won't solve the problem that we need houses to be built somewhere!!!
dougie  
#20 Posted : 17 February 2014 19:28:57(UTC)
dougie

"more townies into whaley",....a statement that reflects a tolerant mindset,......oh dear.