logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
canalboat  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2014 14:19:22(UTC)
canalboat

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
All this moaning about new houses in whaley is just another case of not in my back yard. I`ll bet that a high percentage of the protesters back on to that field don`t` you. How many of you objected to the housing projects that went on behind my parents house at the other end of whaley (off Jodrell rd  and on the old Ferodo site) ? .  Let me answer  probably none of you . Stop been a Bunch of rednecks and move with the times. Instead of moanin about it why don`t you demand for local companies to be involved and create a few jobs if not for a short while anyway. Ask them to take on some of the kids with nothin to do as apprentices to learn a trade. Instead of doom and gloom all the time think of the extra trade whaley will get. Put your time into demanding that with all the new houses goin up they build more facilities for the residents aswell. Get a grip its gonna happen. Just think someone probably did nothin but moan when your house was built
thanks 1 user thanked canalboat for this useful post.
wonder11 on 18/03/2014(UTC)
G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2014 14:35:17(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Canalboat, 
You're going to get slated for saying what a lot of other people think!
I don't mind how many houses they build in these new developments as long as they don't build near me.

G.J.
canalboat  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2014 16:11:54(UTC)
canalboat

let the slatein begin
davethescope  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2014 08:17:59(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: canalboat Go to Quoted Post
 Just think someone probably did nothin but moan when your house was built

Nah.   Too busy worrying about George III's mental health back then :-)

But whilst it is true that there aren't many "Whaley Matters" posters away from Macclesfield Road it is also a fact that building on site C9 will affect every one in Whaley.  And not necessarily for the worse.   A substantial increase in the population could be what is needed to provoke some long needed infrastructure improvements.   Bigger school, adequate medical and dental facilities, addressing the traffic congestion. 

But is C9 the best place for those new houses?  In my opinion - without an axe to grind - no.

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
thanks 1 user thanked davethescope for this useful post.
Wanderer returns on 14/03/2014(UTC)
Wanderer returns  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2014 05:41:36(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I think davethescope has hit the nail on the head - more housing is inevitable but the key is the location, having spent a ridiculous amount to time in a traffic queue on Wednesday night on Macc Road it made me think about the traffic if houses were built just off there again.

The infra structure will also need a complete overhaul as also said by davethescope - there is little room to expand the existing school so where would that go? It's currently hard enough to get in to see a doctor but with potentially 170 x number of residents per house being added I dread to think!

The housing will be built at some point but where remains to be seen
canalboat  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2014 07:56:12(UTC)
canalboat

The location is not a problem just an excuse for it not to be there. The houses that were built behind the football club have merged into the macc road community no problem so why shouldn`t they over the road . Houses have sprouted up everywhere in whaley (bottom of elnor lane, ferodos old site ect with no problem). THREE housing projects have been built behind my parents off jodrell rd over the years including jam butty hill.Admitedly the traffic has increased but thats life. There is no  argument to say that these houses are pushing your kids out of the market as the same is happenin across the country its just supply and demand.People who moan about townies movin in were probably not from whaley originally anyway or at least there parents were not.Make them build more affordable houses for them locals trying to get on the housing ladder and i don`t mean the ones who think they deserve one for nowt because they have had kids by every tom dick an harry. 
dougie on 14/03/2014(UTC)
canalboat  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2014 10:51:41(UTC)
canalboat

shock horror int it funny how most of the committee either overlook the field in question or back onto it
Athena  
#8 Posted : 14 March 2014 11:25:45(UTC)
Athena

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Houses have sprouted up everywhere in whaley (bottom of elnor lane, ferodos old site ect with no problem).

Please forgive my ignorance but where is the ferodos old site in whaley
canalboat  
#9 Posted : 14 March 2014 12:02:40(UTC)
canalboat

if you went down past the vets and over the river there used to be a very big old warehouse there used by ferodo. If you went around the back of it you would have found the local tip. are you not from whaley (please not a townie)  ONLY JOKING 
davethescope  
#10 Posted : 14 March 2014 16:45:07(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
if you went down past the vets and over the river there used to be a very big old warehouse there used by ferodo.

LOCALS refer to that site as Goyt Mill.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
canalboat  
#11 Posted : 14 March 2014 16:55:20(UTC)
canalboat

You can refer to it as bob if you want . Thats where it is
dougie on 14/03/2014(UTC)
Jack  
#12 Posted : 17 March 2014 10:56:12(UTC)
Jack

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The location is not a problem just an excuse for it not to be there. The houses that were built behind the football club have merged into the macc road community no problem so why shouldn`t they over the road . Houses have sprouted up everywhere in whaley (bottom of elnor lane, ferodos old site ect with no problem). THREE housing projects have been built behind my parents off jodrell rd over the years including jam butty hill.Admitedly the traffic has increased but thats life. There is no  argument to say that these houses are pushing your kids out of the market as the same is happenin across the country its just supply and demand.People who moan about townies movin in were probably not from whaley originally anyway or at least there parents were not.Make them build more affordable houses for them locals trying to get on the housing ladder and i don`t mean the ones who think they deserve one for nowt because they have had kids by every tom dick an harry. 

ferodos old site??????????????????chill out canalboat your stress is making you imagine things............................leave your keyboard and go and play out in the fresh air and countryside with green gentleman and pensionman before all the green fields have been built on................................. 
wonder11  
#13 Posted : 18 March 2014 08:22:19(UTC)
wonder11

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I 100% agree with canalboat on this matter! I am a Whaley lad and have been all of my life. Now in my mid twenties I can't help but notice the campaigners are all of an older generation. Adults as young as myself don't stand a chance on the property ladder in this area, if people don't move with the times we'll be forced to move out of the area for more affordable housing or choice of rentals whilst Whaley bridge is stuck in a time warp with a high percentage of elderly and little of the young generation to hold on to community values, etc.

we all complain about many things in Whaley; closure of pubs, fewer shops, loss of traditions etc and I personally feel it all comes down to lack of progress. There is much country side and open landscape in the area which many of us take for granted, but for the sake of a small plot of land (which let's be honest other than Macclesfield road nobody makes regular use of) we're losing out on the opportunity to improve the area and develop our town, bring further business to our stores and warrant people opening more in the future!

One last point I'd add and I don't claim to be a preacher or an expert but on immediate thoughts have the campaigners of Macclesfield road considered the congestion is largely caused by their vehicles (sometimes 3 per house hold) clogging up the side of the road??? Perhaps if people use their drives if they have them or perhaps parking charges were considered? How would that go down? I personally think it's a joke that they complain about increased traffic when the main issue is caused by them anyway.

I love the town and the country side we have, but personally if a housing estate was built on my door step i would still encourage it within reason, it's a small sacrifice to make to ensure that Whaley keeps improving and businesses are saved.

thanks 1 user thanked wonder11 for this useful post.
canalboat on 18/03/2014(UTC)
canalboat  
#14 Posted : 18 March 2014 14:49:59(UTC)
canalboat

Originally Posted by: Jack Go to Quoted Post

ferodos old site??????????????????chill out canalboat your stress is making you imagine things............................leave your keyboard and go and play out in the fresh air and countryside with green gentleman and pensionman before all the green fields have been built on................................. 

As kids and i`m talking in the late 70`s early 80`s we referred to goyt mill as ferodos warehouse. Where it came from i don`t know. I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday from the same generation who said it was used as a warehouse by ferodo when we were kids.Can anyone confirm this so i can have bragging rights or that i am totally wrong
Rusty  
#15 Posted : 18 March 2014 22:09:40(UTC)
Rusty

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: wonder11 Go to Quoted Post
I 100% agree with canalboat on this matter! I am a Whaley lad and have been all of my life. Now in my mid twenties I can't help but notice the campaigners are all of an older generation. Adults as young as myself don't stand a chance on the property ladder in this area, if people don't move with the times we'll be forced to move out of the area for more affordable housing or choice of rentals whilst Whaley bridge is stuck in a time warp with a high percentage of elderly and little of the young generation to hold on to community values, etc.

we all complain about many things in Whaley; closure of pubs, fewer shops, loss of traditions etc and I personally feel it all comes down to lack of progress. There is much country side and open landscape in the area which many of us take for granted, but for the sake of a small plot of land (which let's be honest other than Macclesfield road nobody makes regular use of) we're losing out on the opportunity to improve the area and develop our town, bring further business to our stores and warrant people opening more in the future!

One last point I'd add and I don't claim to be a preacher or an expert but on immediate thoughts have the campaigners of Macclesfield road considered the congestion is largely caused by their vehicles (sometimes 3 per house hold) clogging up the side of the road??? Perhaps if people use their drives if they have them or perhaps parking charges were considered? How would that go down? I personally think it's a joke that they complain about increased traffic when the main issue is caused by them anyway.

I love the town and the country side we have, but personally if a housing estate was built on my door step i would still encourage it within reason, it's a small sacrifice to make to ensure that Whaley keeps improving and businesses are saved.

And what about those who do not have a drive and have no other option but to park on the road?
wonder11  
#16 Posted : 19 March 2014 15:35:48(UTC)
wonder11

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The point I was making Rusty is that campaigners shouldn't be hypercritical in their argument about congestion when they happen to be part of that issue as they have lack of off road parking. The fact that many of the residents do not have parking facilities is unfortunate but which ever way it's buttered up they are helplessly to blame for the majority of congestion on mac road (in my opinion) schools, added housing, etc are a natural progression in communities and rather than fight it we should be looking at ways to work with it.

1 example could be that the development appoints allocated parking spaces on the site for macc road residence therefore reducing road side congestion which is a resolution (although on a smaller scale) which was appointed on the shall cross mill road housing estate, you'll notice allocated parking is available on mevril springs to allow off road parking for residents in the terrorist housing just off elnor lane.